Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I've only had a quick look and it's very hard to find anything in London that constitutes a "house" under £450,000.

It's either a wreck and has an auction guide price or is a very small one bedroom house, a number of which I have seen on the market and I'd imagine were built as retirement homes.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
2A172E4D-32DF-41C3-9527-3BFB524064F1.jpeg

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Theresa May was Home Secretary under David Cameron and introduced the hostile environment for 'foreigners'. The Windrush scandal happened under her watch but she managed to get Amber Rudd to take the can for that, while she became PM.

She had vans going round with placards like Go Home. The Home Office broke the Equalities Law with this policy.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...alities-law-with-hostile-environment-measures

People were being deported illegally. Sitting in Limbo was a tv drama based on a true story of one Jamaican man, Anthony Bryan. I cried throughout, it was so powerful.

as ever tb, thankyou for your insight :thumbsup:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
If I was a conservative MP I would be fuming that the repeated lack of cohesion in whichever leader is leading the party since May. All over the place. I can only assume it's the advisers that are the problem. No single MP, cabinet minister or even PM can know everything, but their advisers should be doing better than this. Maybe it's a reflection of being in power for so long but yet having four different leaders in that time. I guess each time they bring in new advisers who have to get to know their role so mistakes like this happen. Must drive people mad though, and cannot be good for the country.

I'm gradually moving to the view that the best Government we had was the hung parliament one with Dave and Nick, but then of course that ended with DC walking away from the problem he created.

Another hung parliament with the Lib Dems acting as sensible brakes to Labour might not be a bad thing for 5 years.

'Thanks for the steer. I shall henceforth blame all my failures on my advisers.' - V. Putin, Supreme Commander-in-chief, Russian Federation.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Another hung parliament with the Lib Dems acting as sensible brakes to Labour might not be a bad thing for 5 years.

The Lib Dems acting as sensible breaks for the tories resulted in the Lib Dems getting wiped out electorally and the arrogant patrician Cameron blithely betting everything he had on black, only for it to come up red and destroy everything that the Europhile Lib Dems held dear. If they end up with enough seats to have a voice, I would expect Davey to be open to a confidence and supply agreement. With the current party imbalances, anything more formal would be cutting his own throat.

Unless ... and we're back to it again. Their price would have to be immediate electoral reform, not the referendum pup that Cameron sold to Clegg. I wonder whether this is why Starmer didn't pick up on his conference's vote for PR. It could be his Br'er Rabbit move in a potential negotiation with the LDs. ("Please don't throw me in the PR Briar Patch!! Anything but that!")

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
If I was a conservative MP I would be fuming that the repeated lack of cohesion in whichever leader is leading the party since May. All over the place. I can only assume it's the advisers that are the problem. No single MP, cabinet minister or even PM can know everything, but their advisers should be doing better than this. Maybe it's a reflection of being in power for so long but yet having four different leaders in that time. I guess each time they bring in new advisers who have to get to know their role so mistakes like this happen. Must drive people mad though, and cannot be good for the country.

I'm gradually moving to the view that the best Government we had was the hung parliament one with Dave and Nick, but then of course that ended with DC walking away from the problem he created.

have you ruled out the possibility of the politicians being incompetent?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Its not a U-turn, the whole idea of the budget remains the same. They, I suppose, want to increase discretionary income to get the economy rolling through people's spending. But the rising costs and inflation will eat pretty much any amount of money made through these taxes decreases. Your local business isn't going to get any of these money - it will mortgages and energy bills all the way. The state will be weaker and poorer, and even more so when it has to pay unemployment benefits for those it needs to sack in order to "save" money, while the tax cuts will leave no one in a better financial situation than they were before. Impoverished people and in-depted state and the only "solution" / quick fix will be to sell costly and/or valuable assets, eg. the NHS.

The decision announced today has little to no impact. It is only a PR move.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

too easy to blame advisors, they are employed by the leader. they should only advise. the problem you highlight i think is they haven't been leaders. May was an administrator, Johnson a figurehead, Truss a... dont know, so little evidence of anything.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

The Conservative MPs are not blameless in this regard... they get to select from the leadership contenders.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

A government that ushered in age of back breaking austerity and lead us to the biggest self-inflicted wound this country has suffered. Yep that was a great government.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1576862962438266880[/tweet]

[tweet]1576861932971126785[/tweet]

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Lis Truss - I'm prepared to take difficult or unpopular decisions to help UK economic growth.

Makes unpopular decision

U-Turns

Still needs another 95 days as prime minister to avoid being the shortest serving prime minister ever.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It does feel like Gove has played this very well. Kept out of the last leadership contest, and now seen as the 'only adult in the room' within the party.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

That hung parliament ended with the Lib Dems being wiped out in 2015. The Conservatives have to carry the can for the David Cameron's mess themselves.

All parties reach the point where they just need to go into opposition and have some fresh air for a while. They don't normally get through 4 leaders to get there though.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
It does feel like Gove has played this very well. Kept out of the last leadership contest, and now seen as the 'only adult in the room' within the party.

Yes I agree, backed the sensible loser ( who he knew would lose ) now strutting around the media and conference talking to one and all.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yes I agree, backed the sensible loser ( who he knew would lose ) now strutting around the media and conference talking to one and all.

I do sometimes wonder what LittleFinger Gove's end game is, is he trying to be PM himself and just playing the long game?

Or am I overestimating him and he's just content to be vaguely in the public eye and on the public payroll for as long as he can.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Mad Nads Dorries has slurred that she thinks that Truss should call an immediate GE.

" I wan my baby boris back" she sobbed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here