Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool are the next club to announce furloughing non playing staff.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
THe very best players often are though or at the very least are assets to be traded at a premium when it suits? I think we will see wage deferrals in the coming days and all but the most mercenary of players will agree to it. But it is difficult for a club to impose it without player buy in. The players hold the cards now.

The players also earn huge amounts from image rights and sponsorships and some will end up making their own brand so toxic that refusing to give up some money now will look like a really stupid decision further down the line.
No doubt some will do it but I do hope they live to regret being c**ts.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
Can anyone take a well informed guess at how much these clubs are saving by furloughing their non playing staff?

If you’re talking youth coaches, club shop workers, ticket office staff, some groundsmen, kitchen staff, cleaners etc, then the average wage would be peanuts.

I would estimate the average pay per month would be around £1000 max.
200 staff = £200,000 per month.

Average wage at top club (Liverpool/Spurs) = £75,000 per week / £300,000 a month.

25 man squad = £7.5 million a month

Approx 2.5% reduction in salary would cover the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Can anyone take a well informed guess at how much these clubs are saving by furloughing their non playing staff?

If you’re talking youth coaches, club shop workers, ticket office staff, some groundsmen, kitchen staff, cleaners etc, then the average wage would be peanuts.

I would estimate the average pay per month would be around £1000 max.
200 staff = £200,000 toper month.

Average wage at top club (Liverpool/Spurs) = £75,000 per week / £300,000 a month.

25 man squad = £7.5 million a month

Approx 2.5% reduction in salary would cover the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you are over estimating player wages and underestimating non-playing.

I'd go with 500 staff at £2k per month and a squad average of no more than £50k.

So £1m saved but £5m spent on players. So I'm suggesting this is a 20% cut.

Reality probably somewhere inbetween but can't see it being *more* than 20%.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I think you are over estimating player wages and underestimating non-playing.

I'd go with 500 staff at £2k per month and a squad average of no more than £50k.

So £1m saved but £5m spent on players. So I'm suggesting this is a 20% cut.

Reality probably somewhere inbetween but can't see it being *more* than 20%.
Netflix Sunderland Til I Die documentary claims average PL wage is £64k a week.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Last edited:

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Wow. Was in favour of them receiving the title.........

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
People are saying that players are worried that they will just be subsidising rich owners. Well, that is where the PFA come in. They should be publicly offering to take wage cuts, and at the same time pressurising clubs to ensure it goes to those further down the pecking order. Until the PFA signal that this, or something similar, they have my utter contempt.

If the PFA do not do this then it is up to players to band together independently of their ‘union’ and do the right thing. I would also remind everybody that BHAs own first team squad are currently spending an hour or two per day running round Hove Park or using their garage as a gym, all the while receiving multiple THOUSANDS OF POUNDS PER WEEK, SOME BEING PAID THAT FIGURE PER DAY.

It is indefensible that public money is being used in this way, whether it is Liverpool now, or soon to be Brighton, whilst others from the same organisation carry on regardless.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
It is ****ish behaviour of the highest order. I don’t care what other obscenely wealthy ***** the length and breadth of this country are doing, just because they are doing it doesn’t make it ok. Furloughing is a means put in place to ensure small and medium businesses can continue to operate without having to resort to mass redundancies and consequently mass social misery. PL clubs who are happy to spend hundreds of millions of pounds on player transfers year in year out, and hundred of millions of pounds on player wages year in year out should NOT be plundering the furloughing coffers at the expense of the tax payer, i.e people like you and me, who earn an honest, modest wage, and many of whom are likely to be facing a very uncertain future in the light of the massive economic fallout from this pandemic. It may be a simplistic opinion, but this is EXACTLY how it looks to the majority of the population, and no amount of wriggling and arguing the point will make it look any different. If our club has to get relegated because it can’t afford to keep up because it does the morally RIGHT thing, I think I could easily stomach this.

:clap2:

Well said Sir, in fact I'd go further than that in that if this becomes a domino effect of PL clubs furloughing staff I'd be DELIGHTED if we were relegated to a league which has some idea collectively on an understanding of what it truly means to its local community and morally what is the right thing to do to support our staff and our country.

Additionally now is the time more than ever to cancel that Sky/BT subscription and make a stand against this.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
This behavior by the richest clubs in the world really is the straw that broke the camels back for me. I love football and have played it, watched it and loved it all my life but the last 10 years i am really finding it hard to relate to this working mans game.

As a Spurs fan i am so disgusted by their actions that i just feel ashamed to support a club like that. These footballs clubs abusing a system designed to help smaller business like the one i work for where over half my company has been furloughed and i probably will be in a few weeks are so out of touch it's unreal.

I ****ing hate everything about football currently. Brighton have done some good things of late, calling the elderly season ticket holders to see that they were ok was nice, but it's all too rare.

I have been thinking about boycotting top flight footy, cancel sky and BT and watch non league footy. Unfortunately i like all the other sports too.

The government have to stop this shit. Spurs, Newcastle, Liverpool you are out of touch *****. Makes my blood boil, when people are struggling for food, struggling to pay the bills or even dying.

You won't see them furlough the players, just the little dispensable person.

Sorry for the rant but these threads are annoying me more than the Brexit ones, which i didn't think was possible.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
It'll be interesting to see of those calling Liverpool ***** now direct their opprobrium towards Tony Bloom and our club if this happens.

I think anyone that thinks what liverpool and spurs have done is wrong will feel exactly the if it was Brighton. This is more than football surely. No need for stupid loyalties.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
I wonder what Brian Clough would be telling his players if he was still around.
Then again, managers had far more clout in those days.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Average EPL salary is apparently now £61,024 according to this article

So the 'average' PL footballer earns 13k more in a week than 2 NHS nurses take home in a year and they can't get their act together and collectively offer anything back.

Sickening.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here