Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool are the next club to announce furloughing non playing staff.

boik

Its a puzzler isnt it.

What are the effects of a ridiculously highly paid player pay cut on the total tax take for HMRC
V
What are the effects of ridiculously highly paid player pay cut on the financial well-being of their club and non playing staff

Tough choice isnt it
Gary Lineker says it's for that reason he's taking his full salary, but giving his take home to the NHS.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Gary Lineker says it's for that reason he's taking his full salary, but giving his take home to the NHS.

Too many footballers and pundits who annoy me making me rethink! Neville, Giggs and now Jug Ears

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
But his employer is not feeling the pain of lost business or income. He has no reason for his pay to be cut. The TV licence fee is a tax anyway.

That will only pay for the treatment of all the fatted up kids he's caused with his crisps.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
We've yet to see a player furloughed ..... I wonder why ? That's the real hypocracy - if you're trying to save a comany then furlough the highest paid.

You might at the lower levels but I don't think you can furlough someone on a contract? There will be reasons you can rescind a contract but that means sacrificing the value of that player at the same time plus it then has implications for the integrity of the competition when/if a resumption of this season takes place. If it happens it will be a real sign of financial stress for a lower league club. I cannot see it at PL level.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We've yet to see a player furloughed ..... I wonder why ? That's the real hypocracy - if you're trying to save a comany then furlough the highest paid.
The why is....

... any contracted player who is furloughed can walk away from their contract. So assets on the balance sheet disappear overnight. Forget amortization of transfer fees, it is all gone in 1 hit. And say goodbye to any transfer income for that player.

For example, is it worth furloughing, say, Lewis Dunk to save a few hundred thousand, but then lose tens of millions in a sale fee ?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
You might at the lower levels but I don't think you can furlough someone on a contract? There will be reasons you can rescind a contract but that means sacrificing the value of that player at the same time plus it then has implications for the integrity of the competition when/if a resumption of this season takes place. If it happens it will be a real sign of financial stress for a lower league club. I cannot see it at PL level.

Why can't you furlough someone on a contract? I would think that most people are still on a contract and most people can be furloughed. No reason why footballers can be exempt. Surely some of the staff the football clubs are placing on furlough have some kind of contract themselves?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Why can't you furlough someone on a contract? I would think that most people are still on a contract and most people can be furloughed. No reason why footballers can be exempt. Surely some of the staff the football clubs are placing on furlough have some kind of contract themselves?
Footballers could be furloughed - if they agree.

No one can be forced into furlough anyway, though most would lose their jobs if they didn't agree.

Insisting a footballer is furloughed ( if the scheme even allows the employer to insist? ) would result in a break of contract and the player "walking away on a free".

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

I don't know that you can't tbh but surely with a contract you cannot retain the hold over the players employment if you no longer pay him?

SAC

May 21, 2014
If PL clubs are struggling with cash-flow and their owners are unable or unwilling to prop them up in their time of need, perhaps the money for the employees could be given to them as a loan against future revenue. Clubs will just have to adjust player budgets for the next season or two.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Footballers could be furloughed - if they agree.

No one can be forced into furlough anyway, though most would lose their jobs if they didn't agree.

Insisting a footballer is furloughed ( if the scheme even allows the employer to insist? ) would result in a break of contract and the player "walking away on a free".

Isn't it worse, can't the player demand damages equal to remaining payments up to the end of their contract? Or maybe there is some kind of force majeure that allows termination in this case

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
My lil bro at Sun sport website is really trying to drum up some fan anger for his story, but is being constantly reminded that he cannot upset LFC.
Horse / Bolted ???

There is a little bit of history between the Sun and the bin dippers
Just in case, you might not be old enough to remember

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
It'll be interesting to see of those calling Liverpool ***** now direct their opprobrium towards Tony Bloom and our club if this happens.

The principle is the same. Tough decision to make but I would have to consider whether I could stomach paying for a season ticket anymore if we did this. My money could be much better directed elsewhere.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It'll be interesting to see of those calling Liverpool ***** now direct their opprobrium towards Tony Bloom and our club if this happens.
It seems people expect Tony to take the whole financial hit, which given what we owe him, doesn't sit well with me.

If we had been making a profit ( like Liverpool ) then perhaps that would be different.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here