[Misc] Liver, bacon and onions

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Love liver and bacon BUT ....

1. Must be calves liver, well worth the extra cost but quite difficult to find, soaked in milk for a couple of hours prior to cooking
2. Bacon must be non smoked streaky, cooked to a crisp
3. Accompanied by caramelised onions/onion gravy and creamy mashed potato with a liberal helping of gruyere cheese mixed into the mash

IMHO.

Completely agree on calves liver. My local butcher sells it.

Actually had something very similar to this last night.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Basically carrots, spuds, onions, courgettes, fresh toms - whatever you have to hand. Cut into large pieces, add some fresh herbs, season and let it do its thing in the slow cooker. Amazingly everything holds together and you end up with a stunning veg stew.

We have a slow cooker - but tend to soften the onions first, use a chicken stock, and tbh it always tends to come out as a Vegetable soup.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Love lamb shanks with a redcurrant jus . Have it with some nice grilled veg or root veg with mustard mash .

Or you can cheat and buy it from M & S ..

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
For me, toasted badger spleens, smeared with hedgehog eye-gloop. Chewy, slimy, and laced with regret. I have a shack/dungeon/laboratory/brothel in Hampshire.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Does bacon still smell good if you do it in a slow cooker?

Always felt that it smells a lot better than it tastes.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Homemade spag bol tonight [emoji1786]

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
A 9 hour slow-cooker lamb kleftiko.

All you need for the rest of your days on this sweet earth.

I had one in Crete in September ... mouth watering just thinking about it ...

242598458_1957829094387009_1259998440234367065_n.jpg

Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011
Just started lighting the log burner, so will be baking potatoes on top of that. This can take 2 or 3 days, off and on.
On average, one in four is shit, two out of four are OK, but the other one in four is absolutely superb.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Just started lighting the log burner, so will be baking potatoes on top of that. This can take 2 or 3 days, off and on.
On average, one in four is shit, two out of four are OK, but the other one in four is absolutely superb.

What, you just leave it on top?

Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011
What, you just leave it on top?

No. Wrap in foil, after piercing and oiling, a bit of salt, and put it in a baking thing (can't think of the word, a box thing), with more foil on top. I have a small mesh bit in the bottom to keep it off the hot surface.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports