Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Liver, bacon and onions

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
When I was younger, it didn't matter how many times I insisted that I absolutely despise liver, my dad would always insist more insistently that I did in fact like it and would dish it up just for me to not eat it and get moaned at because unbeknown to me, I apparently did like it.
The second worst thing I've put in my mouth. First being something that definitely smelled of fish and definitely didn't taste like chicken.

You are quite correct. Liver is absolutely VILE, just thinking of the texture of it makes me want to blow chunks. I'd also include kidney in the same braket for much the same reason. My mum used to make a steak & kidney pie, and I'd spend the entire meal surgically removing every single piece of kidney from it (not that easy to decipher it from the steak when its all smothered in gravy).

The doris does a LOVELY beef bourguignon in the slow cooker though, with mushrooms, shallots and carrot. Served up with green beans and cheesy mash. Perfect winter scoff.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Well I never.

It's true. During Winter, there are not many days that I don't have something cooking on the stove. And if I time it right, I can bake a bloody good loaf of bread inside the log burner.

IMG_20211119_163845.jpg

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
It's a rare treat. If it's on a menu (very occasionally) I will choose it. Lamb liver preferred (calves liver sounds delicious).

At home - it's more occasional as you can't freeze liver (is that actually right?) which makes it less convenient.

And served with mash is all that is needed.

I regularly freeze liver. Never had a problem with it :)

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Gently simmered in the slow cooker..

It really is food of the gods.

I had it last night with mash and broccoli……

What stews and casseroles are you looking forward to this winter ?

Liver and bacon casserole, with sprouts and mashed swede, my second favourite meal after curry.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It's a rare treat. If it's on a menu (very occasionally) I will choose it. Lamb liver preferred (calves liver sounds delicious).

At home - it's more occasional as you can't freeze liver (is that actually right?) which makes it less convenient.

And served with mash is all that is needed.

I’ve bought frozen liver before in Waitrose. Never heard of not being able to freeze it.
….. or do you mean “ once cooked”?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Liver and bacon school dinner in 1970s and 80s was THE best dish ever. What’s more all the fussy kids refusing to touch meant I always got seconds and the dinner ladies would give me LOADS. Deeeelicious!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here