Live Music 2013

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Flex Your Head

PL and JG.jpg
If I wasn't going to see Shrag tomorrow, I'd be here for absolute certain. Joanna Gruesome and Playlounge were my two favourite new bands last year, and to see both together for free is bargain of the year.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I have found out Parquet Courts are playing Audio on Friday 22nd March. Got a wedding the next day (not mine!) but sod that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Would anyone like a couple of La Roux tickets for face value or whatever you can afford? 28th at Concorde, it's sold out. I'd rather eat my arms and legs than see them go to touts, but cos I bought them through booking agents I can't return them to C2...

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
Love the Phantom's, will definately be there. Still a bit luke warm on the solo album but I just looooove his voice.

I'm willing to bet you won't be lukewarm on the album by the end of the gig. Definitely a grower.

It's a shame his sister Jo won't be there - she does harmonies on the album and joined him onstage for the Edinburgh show, but I don't think she's venturing south for the rest of the tour unfortunately.

Their mum (Gaye Anthony) is an accomplished folk singer as well. It seems wholly unfair that one family should be allocated quite so much talent.

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
Would anyone like a couple of La Roux tickets for face value or whatever you can afford? 28th at Concorde, it's sold out. I'd rather eat my arms and legs than see them go to touts, but cos I bought them through booking agents I can't return them to C2...

will send PM:bhasign:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm willing to bet you won't be lukewarm on the album by the end of the gig. Definitely a grower.

It's a shame his sister Jo won't be there - she does harmonies on the album and joined him onstage for the Edinburgh show, but I don't think she's venturing south for the rest of the tour unfortunately.

Their mum (Gaye Anthony) is an accomplished folk singer as well. It seems wholly unfair that one family should be allocated quite so much talent.

I'm willing to be you are right. Had a few more preparatory listens and it's all falling into place. I just love the Scottish burr to his voice, it gives me goosepimples.

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
I'm willing to be you are right. Had a few more preparatory listens and it's all falling into place. I just love the Scottish burr to his voice, it gives me goosepimples.

Come and live where I do, you'll hear Scottish burrs everywhere you go! Not too convenient for the Amex though.

Anyway, have a great night on Monday. I'm still toying with the idea of heading through to Glasgow on Sunday to see him for the second time in a week.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
View attachment 40321
If I wasn't going to see Shrag tomorrow, I'd be here for absolute certain. Joanna Gruesome and Playlounge were my two favourite new bands last year, and to see both together for free is bargain of the year.

Both were excellent but I'd give it to Joanna Gruesome on points. Really liked the way the singer was as adept at the Belinda Butcher style co-ing as she was at the Kim Gordon yell. Reminded me of Pains of Being Pure At Heart, no bad thing. A cover of Tugboat by Galaxie 500 was the icing on the cake.

Playlounge, I liked, they reminded me of Japandroids.

It was Shrag's last gig wasn't it?

Flex Your Head

Both were excellent but I'd give it to Joanna Gruesome on points. Really liked the way the singer was as adept at the Belinda Butcher style co-ing as she was at the Kim Gordon yell. Reminded me of Pains of Being Pure At Heart, no bad thing. A cover of Tugboat by Galaxie 500 was the icing on the cake.

Playlounge, I liked, they reminded me of Japandroids.

It was Shrag's last gig wasn't it?

Yep, it was Shrag's final farewell and they played an absolute blinder. Kinda sad seeing a band quit when they're at their absolute peak. I've probably seen then 18 - 20 times, and last night was the best yet.

Glad you enjoyed Jo G and Playlounge. I mentioned them and included some videos in a thread (which was universally ignored :))at the end of last year.

Best New Bands of 2012

Funny you should mention POBPAH; I was at their first UK show at The Betsey Trotwood (a truly tiny pub) and the buzz then for them then was the same as for Joanna Gruesome last year. The Pains were on Fortuna Pop and Jo G have signed up to release an album with them. The bad news is that it might not see light of day until early autumn.

Did Playlounge go down well? I think they probably sound better when you're more familiar with the material, but they always generate a blast of excitement. Awesome big sound for a duo.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Yep, it was Shrag's final farewell and they played an absolute blinder. Kinda sad seeing a band quit when they're at their absolute peak. I've probably seen then 18 - 20 times, and last night was the best yet.

Glad you enjoyed Jo G and Playlounge. I mentioned them and included some videos in a thread (which was universally ignored :))at the end of last year.

Best New Bands of 2012

Funny you should mention POBPAH; I was at their first UK show at The Betsey Trotwood (a truly tiny pub) and the buzz then for them then was the same as for Joanna Gruesome last year. The Pains were on Fortuna Pop and Jo G have signed up to release an album with them. The bad news is that it might not see light of day until early autumn.

Did Playlounge go down well? I think they probably sound better when you're more familiar with the material, but they always generate a blast of excitement. Awesome big sound for a duo.

Not by me! I remember giving both a listen and found some mp3's on my iPOD from when I did!

The stuff Jo G played off the album sounded very promising. Of the two Playlounge went down better, perhaps virtue of their higher billing. I mention Japanadroids for that reason, huge sounding guitar.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've been listening to Apparat's new long player Krieg Und Frieden (Music for Theatre) a lot recenty and just bagged myself some tickets to see him perform this piece of work. It's different to his normal output, less beats and more drone according to the man himself and was written for a friend's theatre production. I note he is peforming this at the Brighton Festival. You could do a lot worse than buy tickets.

And one reason I like this man is, quite rightly, he gets ****ed off if you chatter during his gigs. You have been warned.

If you have not heard of this man before and like sparse electronica then check out The Devils Walk, his collaboration with Ellen Allien called Orchestra of Bubbles or his sublime DJ-Kicks mix CD.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Off to see Simon McBride at the Haunt tomorrow night. Good guitarist, crap venue.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Sigur Ros have announced that they will be playing The Brighton Centre on Wednesday 20th November. Tickets on sale this Thursday.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
The Brighton Centre is a shocking venue and will do no justice to their sound. Saw Jonsi at the Dome couple of years ago who was very good.

It is a shocking venue but some acts can pull it off. Saw Nick Cave there and Flaming lips and both managed to overcome the dreadful acoustics.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports