Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Little Britain Pulled from IPlayer

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
So I suppose, even with the paucity of programmes the BBC can repeat, my chances of seeing a re-run of The Black & White Minstrels is slim

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
This big time! And Leigh Francis' agent needs a rise based on some superb ' heading off at the pass ". By all accounts Scary Spice loved the Bo Selecta impression and it was just that humourless **** Craig David who took issue.

To be fair I think Craig David has made peace over the whole thing. In fact, whilst he may have felt his portrayal had a detrimental impact at the time, I suspect the opposite is likely true.

Music artists are incredibly disposable. It’s twenty years since Craig David broke with 7 Days, and despite a lengthy hiatus he’s still able to produce chart grade material and people continue to recognise and talk about him. If you think about how many artists who have had a top 10 single and yet you couldn’t even name or picture now, that’s quite an achievement.

Honestly, would they have happened without Bo Selecta? I mean no slight on David’s musical talent, but I’m not sure it would.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think removing Litle Britain is a shame and wrong.

Personally I liked Ting Tong and Bubbles DeVere. Even now some of their catchphrases are memorable and still heard, i.e computer says no, only gay in the village, it's one of those shows like Harry Enfield, The Fast Show, Catherine Tate that are classic British character sketch comedies and deserve to be around.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
A symptom of Covid Hysteria?

Personally I never liked it except the Tom Baker bits but retrospective censorship?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
By all accounts Scary Spice loved the Bo Selecta impression and it was just that humourless **** Craig David who took issue.

Nope.

The Lemon blacked out his Facebook page with some virtue signalling on blackout Tuesday and Trisha Goddard contacted him with the reality of how a black family had coped with his TV show.

“The former daytime TV regular, 62, told The Sun his impressions left her feeling "hurt, distaste and disgust" and admitted her children were bullied at school because of them.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/trisha-goddard-accepts-personal-apology-22160600.amp

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I think removing Litle Britain is a shame and wrong.

Personally I liked Ting Tong and Bubbles DeVere. Even now some of their catchphrases are memorable and still heard, i.e computer says no, only gay in the village, it's one of those shows like Harry Enfield, The Fast Show, Catherine Tate that are classic British character sketch comedies and deserve to be around.

No, No, No! The ' ooh suits you tailors' are deeply offensive. It's clearly suggestive that any gay man working in men's fashion retail are prone to offensive suggestive comments and inappropriate touching. Shame on you!

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Little Britain was 'comedy' of it's era and is not relevant to today and I can understand the BBC's decision. A bit like In Sickness and in Health and Til Death Do Us Part. Throw in Benny Hill too.

But I have to question whether they are looking extensively at all of their comedy archives. For example, will the likes of 'Goodness Gracious Me' also be consigned to the same treatment? 'Going for an English' was perhaps one of their most famous sketches and could (perhaps should) be considered by today's standards to also not be PC. Personally, it never offended me in any way but some might find it so.

How many other comedies of the past could be looked upon in the same way? Is Dad's Army likely to be seen as offensive now? Open All Hours? Monty Python? Carry On films?

D

Deleted member 22389

Never liked Little Britain but think this is a silly decision. Some people loved it, so at least give people the choice, don't just take things away. A slippery slope.

Last edited by a moderator:

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Personally I found little Britain very funny and also come fly with me . I think although it was stereotypes , a lot of it had large elements of yes some people do actually behave like this , which was why it was so funny .

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Never liked Little Britain but think this is a silly decision. Some people loved it, so at least give people the choice, don't just take things away. A slippery slope.

Very much this - what next? Banning of Christmas on TV to avoid offending certain religious groups?

Last week whilst channel surfing I came across the old sitcom 'Till Death Us Do Part' from the 70's - I would argue that is far worse than much of what has been churned out in recent years, but I didn't hear the masses clamouring for old shows such as this to be removed.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

You can still watch it on various platforms. Or buy it on Dvd. It's not being censored or banned.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I think I watched the first episode of Little Britain, found it juvenile, and just not funny. I didn’t bother again.

I seem to remember a few times that the 2 Ronnies blacked up, are they now banned?

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019

you can still watch it if you "loved it"

should all streaming services just have every programme that's ever been made on them, to "give people choice"

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Very much this - what next? Banning of Christmas on TV to avoid offending certain religious groups?

Last week whilst channel surfing I came across the old sitcom 'Till Death Us Do Part' from the 70's - I would argue that is far worse than much of what has been churned out in recent years, but I didn't hear the masses clamouring for old shows such as this to be removed.

Till death us do part, was the Sixties mainly.
The whole point of it was to hold up the views of Alf Garnett to ridicule, views that were held by a considerable amount of the viewing public at that time.
Unfortunately, some were to thick to see he wasn’t laughing with them, he was laughing at them.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Till death us do part, was the Sixties mainly.
The whole point of it was to hold up the views of Alf Garnett to ridicule, views that were held by a considerable amount of the viewing public at that time.
Unfortunately, some were to thick to see he wasn’t laughing with them, he was laughing at them.

But could you imagine the complaints the Beeb would get if that was widely shown today. Even some of the old Fools and Horses episodes made a number of stereotypical jokes in some episodes about being gay or at the expense of foreigners. My point is just where will the line be drawn? Countless so called comedies could get pulled at this rate.

I just think we are too easily offended these days and the whole country is becoming too PC.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here