Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Little Britain Pulled from IPlayer

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I thought both little Britain and come fly with me were funny and clever . What makes our society interesting is all the different stereotypes. Yes I know not everyone is a stereotype but many people from various different groups do fit into this type of humour . The humour wasn’t nasty in my opinion just gentle ribbing . People nowdays are afraid to make any jokes in case it upsets someone . I find that ironic when in parallel violent crime is the worst it has ever been in the UK.

Perhaps we should stop worrying about the difference between trans & binary people and focus on things that actually matter and effect all people .

I always find the “they were making fun of stereotypes” excuse pretty ropey. That may well have been the idea behind the show, but if we’re honest a sizeable chunk of the shows fan base watched it to laugh at the Thai bird with a funny name and a dick or laugh at the f*ggot wearing the f*ggot clothes. Even if that wasn’t the intention, I’m sure the creators must have cottoned on to it and were more than happy to carry on churning out a boring catchphrase comedy that punched down to any minority that would get a laugh out of 12 year olds.

I personally don’t think it should be taken off of the service though, pretending it doesn’t exist is just rewriting history. I’d suggest a “This Show is a product of its time, and might contain scenes that will offend you.” type warning at the start. If people see that, continue to watch it & then get offended then it’s their own fault. The same applies for any show that has been edited to remove material that might be provocative today.

Personally I can’t fathom why anybody would want to watch it anyway. It’s just the same set of jokes told with a different backdrop every episode. “Oh look, the man in a wheelchair doesn’t actually need his wheelchair and is now doing a random physical activity”. Knowing the punchline before the joke starts isn’t funny. Even the catchphrase comedies written by people who were funny weren’t much better.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Never found it funny

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It was a show people thought they should find funny, did anyone actually find it funny? I always cringe when so called comedians try to find laughs offending someone in an audience, similar concept.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Series 1 of Little Britain (when they were still using the radio stuff) was pretty good. Then it became obsessed with catchphrases and became utter shite.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
It was a show people thought they should find funny, did anyone actually find it funny? I always cringe when so called comedians try to find laughs offending someone in an audience, similar concept.

I found it funny when I was in school, laughing at the gay man and the transvestites, the white men dressed as black people. Then I started to learn about the world and when little Britain ended, everyone in my year utterly despised it. It was funny to people who were uneducated about the world.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Citizens of Earth; "Stop murdering black people"!!!

BBC; "uhmm, hmmm, uhhmm, could take some unfunny people off our back catalogue, how's that"?

I liked Little Britain. It took the p*ss out of us as a nation, and out of everyone else. Corny, but quite funny - which was exactly what it was meant to be.

Yes, we're knee-jerking way too far in my opinion. In the end you'll have 'neutral' people resenting the whole BAME / BLM movement because it will have become something we all have to actively scared of.

Like everything in life there's a balance. Bernard Manning comedy on one side, being petrified to do or say anything which might offend someone in any way shape or form on the other. Both sides, to me, are not good.

I am ready for flaming.. just putting some sauce on myself.

This with bells on. This slaps of a knee jerk PR work for Netflix, BBC.

I think this is different to black up in order to take racial swipes. Theirs was for comedy and to represent the cultural diversity of Britain. Particularly when both are pretty left wing anyway. It’s clear that they did it as a tongue in cheek comedy and nothing else. It’s just BBC and Netflix trying to look good for what’s currently going on. It slaps of desperation to be seen to take action.

It should be a choice to watch this show, not removed for the majority who like it. I've also read people are now searching for things to get removed if they are in any way slightly offensive, it's so sad that people feel the need to do this.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I thought both little Britain and come fly with me were funny and clever . What makes our society interesting is all the different stereotypes. Yes I know not everyone is a stereotype but many people from various different groups do fit into this type of humour . The humour wasn’t nasty in my opinion just gentle ribbing . People nowdays are afraid to make any jokes in case it upsets someone . It has gone too far . Nasty is out I agree but lots of it isn’t nasty , it’s just differences in outlook and behaviour . I find that ironic when in parallel violent crime is the worst it has ever been in the UK.

Perhaps we should stop worrying about the difference between trans & binary people and focus on things that actually matter and effect all people .

Are people petrified to make any jokes? Frankie Boyle manages to be funny, be offensive to the right targets, and give a shit about trans issues etc. He's just one example of many comediens unafraid to say something funny. He also makes serious points. .

"Imagine being the person that takes a look around the world right now and comes to the conclusion that trans rights is the problem" being an example of one of his recent postings. Not hilarious but that's not really what he was going for.

Anyway, I digress. Little Britain had some moments but was largely repetitive gash designed for the easily amused and the permanently bewildered.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I was never a big fan, the auntie who threw up everywhere after the suggestion she ate something made by A members of various ethnic minorities was the worst, however there are people sadly like that, I think that’s what they were alluding to and poking fun at elderly rich white women. The Ting Tong sketch’s were taking the piss out of again a sad middle aged white man, along with the chav girl, and lazy fat bloke Andy, there are people like that, again taking the piss out of sad white people. My take on the only gay in village was not the fact he was gay, it was he thought he was the only gay in the village, and different, even special, when in fact he never was and being gay was normal in the village. It was laughing at the fact it’s nothing new or different to what’s gone before in British society albeit under the covers and behind closed doors.

Maybe I’m wrong, I am no expert, it’s just my opinion.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I was never a big fan, the auntie who threw up everywhere after the suggestion she ate something made by A members of various ethnic minorities was the worst, however there are people sadly like that, I think that’s what they were alluding to and poking fun at elderly rich white women. The Ting Tong sketch’s were taking the piss out of again a sad middle aged white man, along with the chav girl, and lazy fat bloke Andy, there are people like that, again taking the piss out of sad white people. My take on the only gay in village was not the fact he was gay, it was he thought he was the only gay in the village, and different, even special, when in fact he never was and being gay was normal in the village. It was laughing at the fact it’s nothing new or different to what’s gone before in British society albeit under the covers and behind closed doors.

Maybe I’m wrong, I am no expert, it’s just my opinion.

From how I read the story, it's not that all that stuff was considered racist or offensive. I think it was taken down purely on the basis that they blacked up for some sketches.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I do think Matt Lucas is a genuinely funny guy (not in Little Britain though). The baby on Shooting Stars par example. Walliams comes as across as rather pleased with himself . He's done a lot with a very mediocre talent though, so fair play.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
From how I read the story, it's not that all that stuff was considered racist or offensive. I think it was taken down purely on the basis that they blacked up for some sketches.

Hopefully then they'll pull the film 'White Chicks' and 'Coming to America' to even things up. I'm sure there are more which can be dissected and deemed racist towards white people in one form or another. *sigh*

There was absolutely zero malice or intended hatred / racism in them 'blacking up' (one character, wasn't it?). I also do not recall one single complaint or outrage either at the time, nor afterwards up until present day, made to the BBC about the programme. :shrug:

However, now it's a point-scoring competition it's all changed. If you want to point the finger 'Come Fly With Me' was much worse!

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Personally, I think we need to be careful with the retrospective judgement of TV programmes that were created in a different era. I think the blanket idea that any portrayal of or comedic reference to a black person is automatically racist is dangerous one.

For me it needs to be limited to wherever the language is fundamentally out of step with today’s moral compass or the target is the race itself (through stereotyping), and not the person. For example, there are lines in classic shows like Fawlty Towers which are simply not fit for transmission today (mostly by Major, played by a man who would be 116 years old today and grew up in a very, very different society to today’s young generation).

However, I felt Leigh Francis’ apology over Bo Selecta was unnecessary. That was a show based on madcap caricatures of popular figures, some of whom happened to be black. Their colour, their culture, their race was not the target. White celebrities got equal treatment.

Is it racist to take the piss out of a black person? For me, only if it’s their blackness, their heritage, that you’re taking the piss out of. We’re making huge strides in society, but we do need to strike the right balance.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Hopefully then they'll pull the film 'White Chicks' and 'Coming to America' to even things up. I'm sure there are more which can be dissected and deemed racist towards white people in one form or another. *sigh*

There was absolutely zero malice or intended hatred / racism in them 'blacking up' (one character, wasn't it?). I also do not recall one single complaint or outrage either at the time, nor afterwards up until present day, made to the BBC about the programme. :shrug:

However, now it's a point-scoring competition it's all changed. If you want to point the finger 'Come Fly With Me' was much worse!

I very much doubt either Lucas or Williams have a racist bone in their bodies. All about being seen to do the right thing. Come fly...now that did come across as quite racist, even though I doubt that was the intention.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Never watched it but aware of the Ting Tong stuff, and you had to feel for anyone in one of those relationships in this country at the time regardless of your views on ‘Thai brides.’

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Good news for those who find it offensive or simply not funny, good news also for the impending rise in DVD sales of Little Britain for those who’ll miss it.

Personally I don’t care one way or the other.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I very much doubt either Lucas or Williams have a racist bone in their bodies. All about being seen to do the right thing.

This big time! And Leigh Francis' agent needs a rise based on some superb ' heading off at the pass ". By all accounts Scary Spice loved the Bo Selecta impression and it was just that humourless **** Craig David who took issue.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here