Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Little Britain Pulled from IPlayer

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I see Carry On Up The Jungle has just aired on ITV3 where white hunter Sid James kicks sleeping blacked-up Upsidaisi (Bernard Bresslaw) and later shouts out "Come back you scum!" as 4 black natives flee in fear of the Nosha tribe.

Plenty of references to cannibalism, spears, dickie nookie, nookie dickie. The film was made in 1970, so a couple of years after the 'Rivers of Blood' speech.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I really don't understand what the point of doing this is? Surely it about choice. I get that they might not want to show these at prime time in 2020, and indeed both Matt Lucas and David Walliams have said they would make them differently if they did them today, but why does that mean you can't still chose to watch them now?

Who are the BBC to be judge and jury over our culture. And where does that lead. It all feels very dangerous to me, and is increasingly becoming a country that is going down a strange media run culture. It doesn't feel right.

Is it real that strange that the BBC act as judge and jury over the content that they show? They haven't banned anyone from watching Little Britain. If you want to watch dated catchphrase comedy, buy a DVD.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Two things not removed from Netflix are '13th' and LA 1992, both well worth a watch but unfortunately at the end of sitting through both of them you will realise the death of George Floyd won't really change much as the problems are deep rooted and go back centuries.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Is it real that strange that the BBC act as judge and jury over the content that they show? They haven't banned anyone from watching Little Britain. If you want to watch dated catchphrase comedy, buy a DVD.

I can remember recent BBC coverage of COVID19 in China where they highlighted the restrictions on information available to the general public as an example of how the Chinese state treated its citizens like children.

It’s interesting how many on this thread are comfortable with such a position in the U.K. on evidence, this must be exactly the same group that couldn’t understand the “stay alert” message.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I can remember recent BBC coverage of COVID19 in China where they highlighted the restrictions on information available to the general public as an example of how the Chinese state treated its citizens like children.

It’s interesting how many on this thread are comfortable with such a position in the U.K. on evidence, this must be exactly the same group that couldn’t understand the “stay alert” message.

You seem to be comparing Chinese authoritarianism to a broadcasting company binning a crap TV show.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
I believe she was banned from all premieres, might be wrong, had to sit on a segregated blacks only table off to the side during the Oscars and denied entry to the Oscars after-party because it was held at a whites only nightclub.
That's correct. And the producer removed all black faces from the movie posters printed and displayed in the Southern States. Again, I believe to Clark Gable's fury.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
True but it's hardly a state clampdown.

You obviously don't recognise the thin edge of an enormous wedge. A persons right to be offended is now driving what broadcasters are allowed to show. It no longer has to meet a particular threshold or criteria to qualify for banning - it simply needs to "offend" somebody And it's gone.

I asked this question re the statues - where does this end?

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
You obviously don't recognise the thin edge of an enormous wedge. A persons right to be offended is now driving what broadcasters are allowed to show. It no longer has to meet a particular threshold or criteria to qualify for banning - it simply needs to "offend" somebody And it's gone.

I asked this question re the statues - where does this end?

This goes to show the restraint of a nations tolerance, when a silent majority allows itself to be ruled by a shouty,thuggish, intolerant minority of stroppy hard line activists.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
This goes to show the restraint of a nations tolerance, when a silent majority allows itself to be ruled by a shouty,thuggish, intolerant minority of stroppy hard line activists.

You’re on about NSC yeah?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I may be mistaken but has anybody actually called for these shows to be taken down? I thought it was the tv channels taking it upon themselves. I would imagine if the channels hadn’t done it themselves nobody would have thought to demand they be removed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here