Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Link to palace pen their end.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If there is any contact in the box , no matter how minimal , you go down yes?
It depends if you think you can get away with it or not. It's cheating, but points count. If one of our players did that, and got away with it, I'd be glad for the points. But I'd recognise it for what it was, a cheating dive.

That video isn't even the best angle - try slowing down the one showed by SSN, it's even clearer their is no contact.
So how is wilf a cheat !
Because it was a dive. Sorry, are you a bit dim?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Was discussing with my Southampton supporting in-laws, and we agree that there should be a diving review panel.

If they decide retrospectively that somebody has dived its an automatic 3 match ban.

Should sort all these cheats out.
And take away the goal. That would be funny.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
If there is any contact in the box , no matter how minimal , you go down yes? So how is wilf a cheat ! You would have be very dissapointed if buckley hadnt done this would'nt you !

Dougie, you've been coming across as a normal bloke on this forum.

Don't let it go on this.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Fans also cannot complain that the powers that be are trying to make it a non-contact sport, when that is simply a result of almost any contact resulting in players throwing themselves down claiming something for it.

I'd argue it's the other way. Players throw themselves to the floor at every given opportunity because the lawmakers have made it into such a slight contact sport. The fact that people try to justify fouls/penalties/cards by the merest hint of 'contact' back that up I think.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Bad dive. It's cheating. But, and here's the thing, pretty much everybody does it. It's a pain when you get mugged but you always look the other way when it bags your team a pen. Wish it wasn't so but it is.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The ref was a shocker. Truly awful. But you can't blame refs for making mistakes when players are trying to con them every minute of the match. You con the ref and get a decision your team mates applaud you. The opposition do it and the same players are screaming in the refs face. Its massively hypocritical and blaming the refs for all the incorrect decision is patently ridiculous.

Sent from my field radio

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Ive watched it and i saw it in real time , from pretty much the same spot as the footage . I still say its a penalty , alough the contact was minimal . I did notice your players didnt go mad at wilf but seemed more annoyed with buckley ! who looked sheepish ! make of that what you want .

Are you deluded? I've seen Albion players dive before - I get over it but I hold my hands up. Leon Knight was awful at it and funnily enough the other was Glenn Murray - always diving. You really have no leg to stand on here (excuse the punn) - It was a BLATANT act of cheating - and then celebrating to your fans after cheating a pen = poor form from Zaha.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
I wouldn't. I remember, even as a kid, watching John Robinson do his best to stay on his feet when he ran down the wing and defenders kept trying to take him out. I was disappointed when I saw him going down easily for Charlton.

Going down under minimal contact is cheating. No matter how many players do it. It is deceitful and disrespectful. All the while players are cheating and fans are fine with it, they have no right to criticise the refs, imo. If you're willing to support players as they throw themselves to the ground, you cannot expect referees to always get it right for fouls.

Fans also cannot complain that the powers that be are trying to make it a non-contact sport, when that is simply a result of almost any contact resulting in players throwing themselves down claiming something for it.

This.

Also part of the problem is if a player in the box is fouled and manfully tries to stay on his feet but because he's off balance his shot/pass is woeful, the refs just let it go. When a similar incident happens in the middle of the pitch if there is no advantage refs will call the play back. It just encourages players to go down in the box, a foul is a foul even if the player stays on his feet.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Are you deluded? I've seen Albion players dive before - I get over it but I hold my hands up. Leon Knight was awful at it and funnily enough the other was Glenn Murray - always diving. You really have no leg to stand on here (excuse the punn) - It was a BLATANT act of cheating - and then celebrating to your fans after cheating a pen = poor form from Zaha.
Not deluded just saying it as i saw it . We are both gonna see it differently because of who we support .

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'd argue it's the other way. Players throw themselves to the floor at every given opportunity because the lawmakers have made it into such a slight contact sport. The fact that people try to justify fouls/penalties/cards by the merest hint of 'contact' back that up I think.

But the laws aren't "if contact makes you fall over it's a foul", the laws are about careless, reckless or excessive force. By throwing yourself to the floor under slight contact, you are exaggerating that contact to make it look more careless, reckless or excessive than it actually was.

Because any contact made makes a player throw themself to the ground, players are being forced not to touch opponents by other players, not the laws of the game.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
No question - a dive. I would be very happy if one of our players did the same thing.

The fuzzy logic of the partisan football fan

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here