Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lineker Lodge

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Most of them don't of course. Last year France accepted twice as many asylum seekers as the UK (France is the second most popular destination after Germany)

But those who do leave France to come here are almost certainly doing it for one of two reasons: family over here or language. English is, by some distance, the most widely spoken second language in the world so, unless they're coming from a francophone country in Africa, refugees will tend to head for an anglophone country

France has about the same population as us with approximately twice the space.

It also has land borders with Germany and Italy which are very difficult to police.

They also...whilst accepting more asylum seekers..have a FAR less welcoming police force and employment market than the U.K.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I have asked this a few times, but can someone enlighten me as I’m genuinely interested, what is the answer to the issue?

Allow everyone? Allow based on certain things? Disallow all? Only allow certain nations? Genuinely interested, as I see a lot of people are expressing thoughts as to the fact that we as a country should be more welcoming, I would like to know, usual suspects and unsympathetic entitled tw*ts aside, I genuinely can’t answer how the issue can be solved in a way that is right.

There is no specific answer, much like there is no percentage or quota that will appease everyone. For every person that wants more people and to save as many as possible, there's the person that thinks even one is too many. That's why its such a polarizing subject.

The other issue is the misinformation...but people will believe the news sources and the views that fit their narrative. That's why Nigel Farage still exists.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The only reminder that Britain is still a great country is these migrants traversing through Europe then risking life and limb by crossing the Channel to get here.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The only reminder that Britain is still a great country is these migrants traversing through Europe then risking life and limb by crossing the Channel to get here.

I'm fairly confident they're not coming for the cuisine and weather. :rolleyes:

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Even if those figures are correct, it's really not that many is it.

People getting their knickers in a twist over a few hundred desperate people trying to save their lives. Why?

Most of them will end up in detention centres as they were sold the lie that the streets here are paved with gold, when they aren't.

The lucky ones who get asylum will receive basically **** all until they manage to get a job. Which is difficult when you're living in a hovel with barely enough money to eat.

My Mrs works at the college here, in admissions. She's sees the reality of these poor ******** lives. Just trying to make a life here and better themselves but with the odds stacked against them.

There are plenty of things to get angry about at the moment. I'd start with the government paying £150m to a dodgy company for PPE which didn't work. That's one hundred and fifty million pounds, pissed up the wall, or rather scammed from the country.

While the Mail and the Sun ramp up hatred against people with nothing, the real criminals are in charge, fleecing us for everything they can get.

Oh and fair play to Gary. At least he's backing up his words with actions. I think he's a decent bloke.

This, this and this. The racist morons (and less face it they are as they wouldn’t have a problem with Aussies or people from North America coming) haven’t got the ability to think for themselves and to realise that 95% of the land in England is owned by the elite, aristocrats and companies (suppose I should mention the monarchy who these people probably love own between 5-10%). Yet people still write ‘where do you draw the line’. These people are desperate and the least we can show is compassion. Most of the people so against refugees and foreigners don’t mind doing what Australian Rupert Murdoch or Putin to some extent tell them to do. Well done Gary. And to the poster who said he should use his wealth to help asylum seekers- surely giving a room in your own home is more of a commitment.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
I am absolutely appalled at the government spunking away £150m on fake PPE. Governments must go after mega corporations who dodge tax this goes without saying. One can also have concerns about hundreds of people arriving daily who all need immediate help with shelter, clothing, food, healthcare etc. Recently Kent county council announced that they have reached maximum capacity of places for child migrants. If it's not a crisis already then it's imminent and this situation is not sustainable long term unchecked. We are a small Island with finite space and infrastructure. Whilst I applaud Lineker on his generosity, it is a drop in the ocean and maybe slightly distracting from the growing problem.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I am absolutely appalled at the government spunking away £150m on fake PPE. Governments must go after mega corporations who dodge tax this goes without saying. One can also have concerns about hundreds of people arriving daily who all need immediate help with shelter, clothing, food, healthcare etc. Recently Kent county council announced that they have reached maximum capacity of places for child migrants. If it's not a crisis already then it's imminent and this situation is not sustainable long term unchecked. We are a small Island with finite space and infrastructure. Whilst I applaud Lineker on his generosity, it is a drop in the ocean and maybe slightly distracting from the growing problem.

Maximum places in what? Seemed to be a fair bit of room on that beach Farage was in and there were defiinitely spare seats in the pub he used to love being filmed in, though you'd have to put up with being with him for a bit before the cameras effed off.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
There are currently some users on this thread who are not normally in the pit and the level of discourse is a teeny weeny bit better (because most of the pit posts might as well be in crayon) but I only give it till lunch time till the trolls turn up.

“Hands up who wants to stay at Gary’s “
61923bc40fdf6b1e58dae1f8f5887c14.jpg

***k me, did you set an alarm?

Vlad the Impala

Jul 16, 2004
I’m just wondering how the raffle is going to go in Calais this evening.

"Any nymphomaniacs with big knockers please step forward," I imagine.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Power to your elbow should you make such a magnanimous gesture.

We have taken somone in over Christmas or if the weather has been particularly cold but it's all feels a bit half hearted, I know my local Labour Party has a support group for refugees I think I need to have a chat with them

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Lineker's actions and indeed those of anyone else who chooses to house a refugee has zero impact on immigration policy, so how is there any relevance to the size of population the country can sustain?

He could choose to spend all his money on flying people from the four corners of the world, to come and live in the UK and again it would not make a difference to immigration unless he is going to offer them all a large guaranteed income as well.

It is the choice of a civilised soceity, as to how it treats people who apply for asylum, before it assesses, whether they have legitimate reasons to remain here.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There is no specific answer, much like there is no percentage or quota that will appease everyone. For every person that wants more people and to save as many as possible, there's the person that thinks even one is too many. That's why its such a polarizing subject.

The other issue is the misinformation...but people will believe the news sources and the views that fit their narrative. That's why Nigel Farage still exists.

The irony being that Nigel Farage is descended from French Huguenots who were fleeing religious persecution.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
Ah, so no care places in Kent but plenty of places elsewhere in the UK then. Bridget Chapman, of Kent Refugee Action Network seems very sensible.

It would have been helpful if you'd been more specific like [MENTION=14669]LlcoolJ[/MENTION] was

So should we wait until it is a crisis nationally before we act?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here