Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Lib Dems Win North Shropshire By-Election

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Johnson is a dead man walking. No way will he be contesting the next general election as PM and no way will his party ditch him just yet. He'll go nearer the election.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I am not being dragged into the Watford political vortex.

Happy Christmas.:lol:����

You shouldn't assume that just because you are out of your depth, it is a political vortex. It could just as easily be a political puddle with the same result :wink:

Happy Xmas to you too :thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 2719

There will always be some so massively invested in the Johnson personality cult it will be difficult to climb down. They have been conned, used and abused

Is that how the Corbynites feel then???

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Maybe it's just because I support (the present version of) labour, but I must confess that I can't even name the leader of the liberals, and couldn't even be sure if they are still called the 'liberal democrats' till their name was mentioned on the radio a minute ago.

I'd never 'vote for a coalition' but I'd be relaxed about one if it made some sort of sense after a general election. I am not interested in whether parties 'rule out' coalitions before elections. That's partly hubris, and partly done to avoid being accused of 'running scared' before an election.

I remain surprised every time I realise that people still don't understand how things work in the UK.

And I maintain that most of the country have little idea that Boris is supposedly in a crisis.

Beware the echo chamber :shrug:

The only Labour leader to win a parliamentary majority in the last 55 years is Tony Blair, and he had to reach into the right of the centre ground to do it.

Since then the unions have made it almost impossible for the party to lurch that far away from the left, and Labour have never been the same since Blair departed the scene. There was a point when they could have recalibrated when Chuka Umunna was on the rise, but they couldn't persuade him to lead, the party lurched to the left and wasted a decade in the process.

If they are not prepared to take the centre ground then they are doomed unless they are prepared to work with the Lib Dems who hold that centre ground and can hoover up the Tory votes labour can't reach.

You say you are surprised that people still don't understand how things work in the UK but FPTP hasn't exactly worked well for Labour in the last 55 years. Contrast that with the left of centre SPD Party now being the largest party in a coalition in Germany with their man Olaf Scholz now Chancellor and calling the shots, despite the right of centre CDU winning the highest number of seats.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The only Labour leader to win a parliamentary majority in the last 55 years is Tony Blair, and he had to reach into the right of the centre ground to do it.

Since then the unions have made it almost impossible for the party to lurch that far away from the left, and Labour have never been the same since Blair departed the scene. There was a point when they could have recalibrated when Chuka Umunna was on the rise, but they couldn't persuade him to lead, the party lurched to the left and wasted a decade in the process.

If they are not prepared to take the centre ground then they are doomed unless they are prepared to work with the Lib Dems who hold that centre ground and can hoover up the Tory votes labour can't reach.

You say you are surprised that people still don't understand how things work in the UK but FPTP hasn't exactly worked well for Labour in the last 55 years. Contrast that with the left of centre SPD Party now being the largest party in a coalition in Germany with their man Olaf Scholz now Chancellor and calling the shots, despite the right of centre CDU winning the highest number of seats.

Actually Labour could've got back into power if it hadn't been for the fact that the left leaning but inferior Miliband got into bed with the unions and stuffed the more centralist and superior Miliband in the leadership contest in 2010. It all went tits up from then. imho.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Really surprised that so many are getting so excited by a midterm by-election.:shrug:

Desperate scenes.

Well there’s a surprise. Out of touch with reality just like so many MPs on the right.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Surely Harold Wilson won a majority in 74?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Actually Labour could've got back into power if it hadn't been for the fact that the left leaning but inferior Miliband got into bed with the unions and stuffed the more centralist and superior Miliband in the leadership contest in 2010. It all went tits up from then. imho.

That just isn't true. Labour lost in 2015 because a) it lost a shedload of seats in Scotland because the party was seen as too London-leaning and not left wing enough
b) it lost a lot a few seats in the north as it was seen as too London-leaning and too pro-EU (something that would be repeated to some effect in 2019) and c) because the LibDems lost nearly all their seats to the Tories as punishment for going back on their uni fees pledge. If DM had been in charge, all that would still have happened, in fact, it would have probably been worse (opinion polls at the time backed this up)

EM beat DM in the leadership election because he was a better campaigner. There are reports of how EM worked tirelessly in the run-up to the election, gladhanding MPs and union leaders while DM did nothing, assuming that he'd won. I don't see how someone who didn't like campaigning in a party election would have fared better in a general election.

Surely Harold Wilson won a majority in 74?

He did: a majority of three (that the party lost within a couple of years)

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Im proud I voted conservative. PROUD. I still am.

So you should be.

I'm not Tory myself, but what you get up to in a polling booth is none of my business.

Some of my friends are Tories. I even went to Tory Pride where they had cheese and wine and then burnt twenty pound notes in front of the homeless.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Is that how the Corbynites feel then???

It's a different situation. The only parallel being that both parties were/have been been overtaken by a fringe wing. The current Conservative party is a very different animal from anytime in your lifetime, as was Labour under Corbyn.

What differs is the inherent cynicism of the Conservative party. Corbyn became leader because of an inherent ideological shift in their membership. Johnson became leader because of his ability to win elections in a personality driven world.

Johnson has very few MP friends within the party and is greatly mistrusted by most. A mistrust that goes all the way back to his time as MP.

It stems from his personal behaviour but also his politics which are generally urban, pro EU, liberal and free spending. Many things I'd imagine you dislike.

However the party know he will turn his head to which ever the direction the wind is blowing and he is capable of winning an election.

As soon as he loses support with the electorate and the members they will bin him.

What you are witnessing at the moment, is what would have happened if Jeffrey Archer became leader. It was always going to end in tears.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Could never ever vote for a party that said revoke the decision to Leave...........undemocratic loons.
Bunch of cvnts.......lib dem twats who supported revoking are the worst type of citizen that exist in the country

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Could never ever vote for a party that said revoke the decision to Leave...........undemocratic loons.
Bunch of cvnts.......lib dem twats who supported revoking are the worst type of citizen that exist in the country

:lolol:

And there you have it, the authentic voice of the current Conservative party. In fighting and imploding before our very eyes,

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
true story :bigwave:

Certainly. The party stinks so bad that rafts of their traditional supporters held their nose and voted Lib Dem.

The party that has literally reinvented itself as an anti EU movement got done over by the re-join the EU one.

You've nailed it, that's how bad they are.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Certainly. The party stinks so bad that rafts of their traditional supporters held their nose and voted Lib Dem.

The party that has literally reinvented itself as an anti EU movement got done over by the re-join the EU one.

You've nailed it, that's how bad they are.

Lib dem revokers were cvnts and will always be known as cvnts
Worst type of citizen in the country.............nasty cvnty cvnts lib dem twats

Think you get my drift on those undemocratic loon fvckwits

why does no one ever admit anymore to being a referendum revoker?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Lib dem revokers were cvnts and will always be known as cvnts
Worst type of citizen in the country.............nasty cvnty cvnts lib dem twats

Think you get my drift on those undemocratic loon fvckwits

why does no one ever admit anymore to being a referendum revoker?

And they beat Johnson, badly.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I could never vote for a party that destroyed the manufacturing base of the uk… a party that rejoice in no society, never have never will.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here