Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lewis Dunk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yeah unless I'm misreading this it isn't simply passes- he got close to 100 of those in a match recently IIRC. It's linebreaking, progressive, forward passes.
Correct- he’s averaging 86 passes per game this season. CB stat-padding tippy tappy is not part of the quoted stat.

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
…..just another day at the office.

I do have some bias in appreciating defenders and midfielders more than attacking players, but that two-legged close interception was my favourite solo action from the whole match. Enciso's strike was great, Caicedo's tackles and Mitoma's stop-and-start stringing along of Chalobah were as well, but that tackle by Dunk was something rarer and less reproducible, perfection made footballing response.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Dunk alongside Lawrenson as centre-back in an all time Albion XI. Pretty much beyond debate now.

Probably also belongs in an all time "Criminally overlooked by England managers XI" with Matt Le Tissier.
and how amazing would Lawro have been playing de Zerbi ball?🤩🤩🤩🤩
Is Dunk now at Lawro performance levels? I think he is this season.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I was thinking about this last night. Dunk Caicedo and Mitoma should, without question, be in the EPL team of the year but I doubt that Dunk will get the votes required for "big club bias" reasons.
Dunk and Caicedo absolutely no question. Mitoma probably started the season too late and is up against Grealish, Martinelli and Rashford. But yeah, all three should be there or there abouts. Pervis too. I've not seen a better left back this season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I do have some bias in appreciating defenders and midfielders more than attacking players, but that two-legged close interception was my favourite solo action from the whole match. Enciso's strike was great, Caicedo's tackles and Mitoma's stop-and-start stringing along of Chalobah were as well, but that tackle by Dunk was something rarer and less reproducible, perfection made footballing response.
What do you think of Dunk compared to England's other centre backs?

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
What do you think of Dunk compared to England's other centre backs?
Well right now in the PL I'm mostly following Brighton so I haven't really seen many full matches of other defenders, but he definitely seems more comfortable with the ball compared to the likes of Maguire or even Dier, and I don't think he's any worse in tackles/interceptions. Only thing I'm not 100% sure about sometimes is his defensive positioning, but that's probably because as a team you don't really have a tried & trusted low-block defensive structure.

He's definitely fit to be in the England squad, just like Tomori was last year. One thing we should keep in mind though is that oftentimes some players work perfectly in a certain well-oiled system that they understand well, but you take them out of it and they underperform. He has some genuine top class individual abilities but I doubt he'd do as well for England as he does for Brighton, with the way your national team plays.

I'd really be curious to see him play for your national side (mostly because he's still relatively unknown internationally) in some non-friendly matches, and I'm sure he'd appreciate the belated recognition.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well right now in the PL I'm mostly following Brighton so I haven't really seen many full matches of other defenders, but he definitely seems more comfortable with the ball compared to the likes of Maguire or even Dier

He's miles better than Dier. God knows how he's in the England team.

One thing we should keep in mind though is that oftentimes some players work perfectly in a certain well-oiled system that they understand well, but you take them out of it and they underperform.

He's played well in every style we've played under every manager. There's nothing to suggest he wouldn't have adapted to England teammates.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here