Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lewis Dunk

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It was also reported at the time that Dunk didn’t really integrate himself with the squad socially that well when he was in the camp.
Dunk also has true leadership skills and loves the club (and hates Palace). Most importantly he is grounded with a very supportive family around him.

That’ll do for me

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Dunk also has true leadership skills and loves the club (and hates Palace). Most importantly he is grounded with a very supportive family around him.

That’ll do for me
Maybe, but actually it’s also quite widely reported that Webster & Lallana are more vocal in the dressing room, they sort out the ‘fines’ etc

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It was also reported at the time that Dunk didn’t really integrate himself with the squad socially that well when he was in the camp.
Yes, well in view of the Kane problems that would probably be why. Everyone in the England camp and all the poxy journos have love for that useless cheater.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Maybe, but actually it’s also quite widely reported that Webster & Lallana are more vocal in the dressing room, they sort out the ‘fines’ etc
Being a great leader doesn’t mean you have to do everything. Knowing that some people are better than you at some things is a sign of a great leader

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Being a great leader doesn’t mean you have to do everything. Knowing that some people are better than you at some things is a sign of a great leader
Indeed. But he’s not very vocal which kind of implies a bit quiet perhaps, so also explains why he might not have integrated as well as hoped

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I do think it's an issue with Dunk and the senior players around Southgate. I'm sure Dunk is no shrinking violet around them and he does appear to have very little respect for the likes of Kane and Maguire. He's certainly been in their faces during games.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Squad harmony - I think it's absolutely this.

The Athletic has actually alluded to it previously. From previous matches it seems there's no love lost between Dunk and Kane, and Southgate apparently has regular meetings with Kane, Henderson and other senior squad players with a lot of the chat being about having a happy squad - ie whos faces fit and whos don't.

It's a real shame, but it's by a mile the most logical explanation. Nothing else really makes sense. Really feel for Dunky though.
Makes me wonder about Ben White....

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

That’ll do for me
Heard v recently that he and his Mrs have split up. No idea of source reliability but in theory the individual would quite probably be aware.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Heard v recently that he and his Mrs have split up. No idea of source reliability but in theory the individual would quite probably be aware.
Shame if true. Didn’t he recently put his house on the market?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Squad harmony - I think it's absolutely this.

The Athletic has actually alluded to it previously. From previous matches it seems there's no love lost between Dunk and Kane, and Southgate apparently has regular meetings with Kane, Henderson and other senior squad players with a lot of the chat being about having a happy squad - ie whos faces fit and whos don't.

It's a real shame, but it's by a mile the most logical explanation. Nothing else really makes sense. Really feel for Dunky though.
The explanation might just be far simpler, and it's been offered several times, @Hugo Rune most recently. There is a further explanation too, and the combination might be persuasive.
First, Dunk is slow. When you factor in that Southgate's first CB pick is also slow, he would justifiably be slated for picking two slow CBs, rather than the unjustifiable slating he does actually get.
Second, which CB in the PL has received the most red cards over the past five seasons? Again, imagine that CB got picked for England and got sent off in a WC final, and think what the response would be towards both that player and the manager.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
400 games is impressive and still the time in his career with us to get 500+.

Could we design and organise a flag to go on the back of the north stand for him? Next to the Stand or Fall banner...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The explanation might just be far simpler, and it's been offered several times, @Hugo Rune most recently. There is a further explanation too, and the combination might be persuasive.
First, Dunk is slow. When you factor in that Southgate's first CB pick is also slow, he would justifiably be slated for picking two slow CBs, rather than the unjustifiable slating he does actually get.
Second, which CB in the PL has received the most red cards over the past five seasons? Again, imagine that CB got picked for England and got sent off in a WC final, and think what the response would be towards both that player and the manager.
I'm not convinced the red cards would be such a factor, but could be wrong. How many has he accrued in the last 2-3 seasons, whilst consistently being one of the top English CBs? Two? Three? Over about 90 games.

And I totally agree that he would never pick Dunk with Maguire (nor should he, I don't think anyone is calling for that), but the whole point is that Dunk is by far the closest thing England would have to a Maguire replacement attributes-wise, and definitely should've been tried out at the time they were trying out Mings (totally ill-suited to the Maguire role) and Coady (just plain a worse defender than Dunk or Webster), amongst others.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here