Lewis Dunk abusing fans?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He was subbed at half time because he was in danger of being sent off for a second yellow. That's in 45 minutes, not an entire game. He was struggling.

Not performance wise though, which is what I said. The first was harsh anyway, but ironically the second warranted it.

We were at 6's and 7's once he was off.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Yes, agree with all of this. He needs to learn rather more self-control. Just a little bit of me says, however, that that there is such a thing as "spur of the moment" to which we are all prone, and the sarcastic cheering was totally uncalled for and very provocative. But, the fact remains, as you say, that he is the one on the pitch, being very well paid, and needs to be more disciplined to complement other more positive aspects of his game.

Sarcastic cheering is quite tame compared to the reaction he would have got by other fans around the country. It's not exactly booing him or lambasting him with every curse word. In fact a few players I could think of might have given the crowd a thumbs up or a smile instead of a sulk and a negative response. I like Dunk as a player most of the time, he impresses me for many of his performances but these lapses in judgement have to stop and the response to fans shows me that his errors in judgement are not just confined to his football ability.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He didn't take the ball off of Stockdale at Derby, as Stockdale hadn't actually got hold of it. Dunk prevented the Derby player getting hold of it to slot it into an empty net.

Sorry Thunder Bolt, but that just wasn't the case, whilst Stockdale didn't have it, Dunk slid in and took the ball away from him, there was no forward between them. I have seen that incident several times.

However, that aside Dunk made the tackle of the season to stop Ince scoring, so that evened itself out.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Without Dunks goals last year we would be playing in League One.

Guess those giving the ironic cheers would have gone back to supporting Chelsea if that was the case.

Lewis Dunk is one of our own. Support him don't persecute him.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
He made two very bad mistakes, one of which cost us the match. He also made a tackle which should definitely have been a penalty. Not good enough for what we aspire to. At the moment, he is a liability given he cost us the match at QPR and also recently gave a penalty away at Burnley.

He has been off form for weeks now and his decision making is terrible. I saw him im princess royal hospital a month ago leaving with his wife/gf and a new baby... Maybe not getting enough sleep? He needs to sort his head out fast though as we dont have many options at the back.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I guess someone's got to get the blame!

Forget the fact we didn't create bugger all chances.

Without that mistake we might have been able to get a point.

We hit the bar twice and had a legitimate goal disallowed if Dunk and the lino were concentrating we would have got a point at least.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not performance wise though, which is what I said. The first was harsh anyway, but ironically the second warranted it.

We were at 6's and 7's once he was off.

Uwe didn't get a second yellow. I was talking about the Ipswich away game.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I have no idea whether Dunk actually said those words in the OP...but after the blunder for the goal he definitely reacted angrily towards the crowd in the East Stand following the ironic cheering. Something was said, and it wasn't pretty.

If I was Dunk I'd be more worried about letting down myself, my team-mates and the fans than having a go at them.

He is currently a liability and if we didn't have the injuries in that position I am absolutely sure Hughton would take him out of the firing line for a bit.

The bigger long-term question must be is Dunk just not up to it, or can this be sorted out. To me, he has the attributes, but a lot of his problems are mental, lapses in concentration, a questionable attitude, maybe unwilling to learn and improve. I think he would benefit from working with something like a sports psychologist.

There's no shame in trying to be better and gain an edge, many top sportspeople do it, and if he carries on like this he is never going to play in either a) the Premier League and b) the top of the Championship.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sorry Thunder Bolt, but that just wasn't the case, whilst Stockdale didn't have it, Dunk slid in and took the ball away from him, there was no forward between them. I have seen that incident several times.

However, that aside Dunk made the tackle of the season to stop Ince scoring, so that evened itself out.

It happened in front of me and I've also seen the replays.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Good on him. Those 'ironic cheering' are clueless fuxkwits who don't know how to support the team. What did they think that would do to his confidence..?

This. Those idiots want to be thankful it wasn't Eric Cantana.!!

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Yep absolute twats. He made a mistake and idiots get on his back. Well done dickheads.

This. Classic Brighton fans, unfortunately.

I never understand why football fans are happy to dish it out, but get all oh-so-offended when a player dares to say something back. 'I pay my money, I can give my opinion', they'll say. Well Dunk is doing his job to entertain you, so he'll give his opinion back. Good on him.

I thought Stockdale's reaction was great, we need more players like him. What's more likely to make a player make a mistake again, giving him abuse for it or putting your arm around him and saying 'don't worry about it, it's done, lets get back to into this'? If only the fans would do that (most of them do, to be fair).

Just had a chat with a Season Ticket holder in East Lower, right in front of where Dunk was when the Ironic Cheer occurred.

He's adamant Dunk said nothing at all, but did give a bit of a Paddington Bear hard stare.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton

I agree with you , Stockdale was about to pick it up.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Just had a chat with a Season Ticket holder in East Lower, right in front of where Dunk was when the Ironic Cheer occurred.

He's adamant Dunk said nothing at all, but did give a bit of a Paddington Bear hard stare.

That's all I saw but from East stand upper ....sounds a bit of a case like Chinese whispers to me.
There does seem a number of people who are getting on Dunks back ...Stockdale last season ...Barnes before that..seems a weird way to urge the players on to a win...hey ho

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
The most worrying thing I thought was that He had tried a 35-40 yard back heel back pass (Which very nearly went wrong).
Surely if you're playing badly flamboyant flicks are not something you should be trying.
Again though it was directed at fans who had obviously said something.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

I never understand why football fans are happy to dish it out, but get all oh-so-offended when a player dares to say something back. 'I pay my money, I can give my opinion', they'll say. Well Dunk is doing his job to entertain you, so he'll give his opinion back. Good on him.

I thought Stockdale's reaction was great, we need more players like him. What's more likely to make a player make a mistake again, giving him abuse for it or putting your arm around him and saying 'don't worry about it, it's done, lets get back to into this'? If only the fans would do that (most of them do, to be fair).

Agree with you on Stockdale's reaction, Dunk looked desolate at that moment.

But I really don't think you can have a go at the fans last night. Put it in context. It has taken a lot for them to lose patience with Dunk, who came through as a youngster and we all want to do well. We are not talking about one error here, we are talking about 1-2 major errors virtually every match, many have cost us, some haven't, plus a general loss of confidence and some poor positional play.

The reason for the frustration finally boiling over last night was that most people think he has it within him to be a really good centre-back, but the evidence before their eyes in recent months is undermining that belief.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yep absolute twats. He made a mistake and idiots get on his back. Well done dickheads.

Happens at every football club.

This. Those idiots want to be thankful it wasn't Eric Cantana.!!

Eric Cantona was racially abused. There is no comparison between racist abuse and ironic cheering.

Again, happens at every ground.

Your friend is sadly wrong, I (and all of those around me) clearly saw Dunk shouting something at an individual or small group towards the front of the east lower. It's wishful thinking to suppose it's just idle chatter or palace trolls stirring it up. Dunk can be a fine player, however he is unlikely to achieve his potential whilst he carries on in an unprofessional manner.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Seen it floating around on social media that Lewis Dunk called the fans sitting in the family stand "f***ing c***s" after his bluff for the goal.
Not trying to spread hate, just wondered how true the rumour is?

It must be true as a bloke down the pub told me about it, someone told him about it because he read it in The Sun. :moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports