Lewis Dunk abusing fans?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The same ipswich that won against teams at the BOTTOM yes. That wouldnt have scored really were it not for CH selection and Dunk. YES.

They scored 2 against us at Portman Road, but luckily we were at full strength & scored 3 in return. Incidentally Uwe was having a nightmare there, & had to be subbed at half time, so Dunk took over.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I wish he'd shouted it at the bloke behind me. I've wanted to for the past 3 years. We've got a small but very vocal minority of real negative twats in our crowd so I'm struggling to get outraged about 1 of the players being fed up with it.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I sit in the family stand and the incident was (in subbuteo terms) on the shoot line - halfway between penalty area and halfway line

It followed the mistake for the goal and another hairy back pass that was a kind of back heel /flick that sold stockdale short. Some ripe comments were made. Just after that a back pass was made without drama and a few people made ironic (or perhaps relieved) little cheers.

Dunk said something, and I'm no lip reader, but I didn't think it was what has been quoted. The crowd around didn't really react as they would have done if he had said **** off.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
There was some talk of this in the train queue maybe it was a response to the ES "ironic cheering" when he took a pass a few minutes later rather than at the time of the goal itself. The talk may of course have been regarding the tweet rather than witnessing something.

Maybe somebody has just made it up to try and start up a hate campaign

After his error for the goal, and then a few minutes later, trying a very risky back pass, those on the east side became restless. When he passed back to Stockdale a third time, which was in fact well executed, just as he had played the pass, I heard someone in the family Stand give a very loud ironic cheer. Dunk immediately turned to the crowd. I was in East Stand Upper, so could not verify what he said, if anything, but I would be surprised if he had not said anything, as I imagine he was still very uptight. He just keeps on having these moments of immaturity, though I accept that he saw the loud sarcastic cheer as provocative, which it was.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
It was in front of the East lower (family) he shouted something but we are too far back to hear what it was. Those at the front probably heard it but he was seriously pissed off. The crowd had given him some stick but he should not have reacted.
You know, you set yourself up by being a pro footballer in the first place, it comes with the territory adulation and or derision in public,but you make it a certainty that you will get slated if you keep making major **** ups at key points in games this is your life Dunk.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Dunk is clearly going through a poor run of form by his own high standards.

Let's not act like ***** and persecute one of our own though, eh. We're better than that.

Absolutely. He is still somewhat immature with his challenges and reactions (at being sent off at QPR, when he was his own worst enemy) but maturity will come and people abusing him should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. It helps no one.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Absolutely. He is still somewhat immature with his challenges and reactions (at being sent off at QPR, when he was his own worst enemy) but maturity will come and people abusing him should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. It helps no one.
When will maturity come? When he is 30 or we are in the bottom half of the table?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
They scored 2 against us at Portman Road, but luckily we were at full strength & scored 3 in return. Incidentally Uwe was having a nightmare there, & had to be subbed at half time, so Dunk took over.

Nightmare is very strong, we had a clean sheet when he went off, and he was playing ok.

He was subbed because he was on a yellow, and could have easily received a second before h/t.

After he went off we looked worse at the back if I recall.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Nothing more than being Dunk and disorderly.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
When will maturity come? When he is 30 or we are in the bottom half of the table?

I think he is 24, so granted you would have expected rather more by now, but we are all different and open to bouts of human frailty. Could anyone say they had reached FULL maturity at his age? He is still very impetuous, which by now you would have thought he had overcome. It will take time -there are some very good aspects of his game and I am sure no one complained last year with his many headed goals.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Nightmare is very strong, we had a clean sheet when he went off, and he was playing ok.

He was subbed because he was on a yellow, and could have easily received a second before h/t.

After he went off we looked worse at the back if I recall.

He was subbed at half time because he was in danger of being sent off for a second yellow. That's in 45 minutes, not an entire game. He was struggling.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
It goes with the territory for me.

How many of us would aspire to be a pro for BHA playing at the Amex in front of 20 odd thousand people every week on 15k a week? He is 24 years old, not 14 - Graeme Smith was captaining the South African cricket team at the same age.

Maybe the crowd shouldn't have had a pop but its passion for us. We are having a great season and are all spending our hard earned cash to come and see the team and no one can deny the support at the Amex last night was excellent. There is the perception in the crowd that Dunk's mistakes are starting to have a serious effect on our promotion chances and I for one agree with that (although accept others don't).

On this basis, I think Dunk needs to remember what a privileged position he is in, act professionally and keep his mouth shut.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Firstly, lets totally disregard anything on Twitter, a haven for small-talk, perpetuated by the bored and uniniated.
Secondly, professional footballers are paid a lot of money to play to a basic standard.
Thirdly, football fans spend a huge amount of time, effort and money, to watch highly paid professionals play to a basic standard.
Fourthly, football fans have every right to pass comment/judgement on what they see. From my long experience, playing and watching, I would suggest that fans give players a far, far easier time than they ever used to. In this sanitised world of walking on eggshells and watching every utterance in case you are pounced upon by someone accusing you of every verbal crime under the sun, football fans have been dumbed down. They are quieter, more restrained, more careful in utterance. Footballers have been shouted at for eternity. It goes with the territory. You are in the spotlight. Its what you are paid for. If you want polite clapping and harmonious cheering and complete unity of praise for everything, don't go to a football match. If you don't want criticism as a player, maintain a decent standard and fans will respond accordingly. If you make a series of mistakes, expect a comeback.
Lewis Dunk was the senior partner at centre-back yesterday. He was there to lead and support Conor Goldson, very much the rookie. Much as Matthew Upson was, when Dunk played alongside him. Dunk will have watched the classy Upson. The way he managed forwards. Getting on the right side of them. Moving them into less dangerous positions and forcing them onto their weaker foot. His positional sense and his consistency, from game to game. Keeping it simple, concentrating and eliminating as many errors as possible from his game. The last thing Matthew Upson would have done is shouted at the crowd. He had too much class for that. Too concentrated on what he was doing as a professional to worry about a few murmurings from the crowd.
The following questions need to be asked about Lewis Dunk. Has he been fully committed to BHA and fully concentrated on the job at hand, since his proposed move to Fulham ( and alleged serious interest from Newcastle ) broke down? I have to ask this question, as his concentration levels seem way below where they were last season, in a struggling side.
Is Lewis Dunk maturing as a player? He has a lot of first team games under his belt now and has played alongside two steady performers in Upson and Greer. I have to ask this question as I continually see rash challenges, constant shirt pulling, as playersmanouvere him out of position. He has been lucky not to concede more penalties this season. He was recklessly sent off at QPR, when we.were winning and it changed the game. Burnley, literally ripping a player's shirt off, when we had the home side reeling. He did his level best to score an own goal at Derby ( when we were in control ) sliding in and taking the ball away from Stockdale ( Derby scored from the resultant corner ) I watched him closely at Brentford and he was uncomfortable on the ball, making 3-4 errors in the first half alone, all of which conceded possession and set up a Brentford attack. And then there was last night. A critical game to stay calm and composed. A night to dig in and make sure we didn't lose to a dangerous competitor in 6th place. Maintain that 7 point gap. Two schoolboy errors in a short space of time ( one cost us the game ) was too much for some fans and understandably so. He is too experienced now, he is no longer a rookie. It shouldn't be happening over and over again.
This is a good player letting himself down regularly and the fans need to know why. We all forgive the occasional lapse but this is seriously undermining the teams efforts. Given different circumstances, Dunk would clearly be given a decent rest from the side but that ain't possible at the moment. So, he has to prove to us now that he is capable of concentrating for a whole match and helping to lead our recovery out of this temporary slump.
ps Forget about the fans and concentrate on what you are doing.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
It goes with the territory for me.

How many of us would aspire to be a pro for BHA playing at the Amex in front of 20 odd thousand people every week on 15k a week? He is 24 years old, not 14 - Graeme Smith was captaining the South African cricket team at the same age.

Maybe the crowd shouldn't have had a pop but its passion for us. We are having a great season and are all spending our hard earned cash to come and see the team and no one can deny the support at the Amex last night was excellent. There is the perception in the crowd that Dunk's mistakes are starting to have a serious effect on our promotion chances and I for one agree with that (although accept others don't).

On this basis, I think Dunk needs to remember what a privileged position he is in, act professionally and keep his mouth shut.

Yes, agree with all of this. He needs to learn rather more self-control. Just a little bit of me says, however, that that there is such a thing as "spur of the moment" to which we are all prone, and the sarcastic cheering was totally uncalled for and very provocative. But, the fact remains, as you say, that he is the one on the pitch, being very well paid, and needs to be more disciplined to complement other more positive aspects of his game.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Firstly, lets totally disregard anything on Twitter, a haven for small-talk, perpetuated by the bored and uniniated.
Secondly, professional footballers are paid a lot of money to play to a basic standard.
Thirdly, football fans spend a huge amount of time, effort and money, to watch highly paid professionals play to a basic standard.
Fourthly, football fans have every right to pass comment/judgement on what they see. From my long experience, playing and watching, I would suggest that fans give players a far, far easier time than they ever used to. In this sanitised world of walking on eggshells and watching every utterance in case you are pounced upon by someone accusing you of every verbal crime under the sun, football fans have been dumbed down. They are quieter, more restrained, more careful in utterance. Footballers have been shouted at for eternity. It goes with the territory. You are in the spotlight. Its what you are paid for. If you want polite clapping and harmonious cheering and complete unity of praise for everything, don't go to a football match. If you don't want criticism as a player, maintain a decent standard and fans will respond accordingly. If you make a series of mistakes, expect a comeback.
Lewis Dunk was the senior partner at centre-back yesterday. He was there to lead and support Conor Goldson, very much the rookie. Much as Matthew Upson was, when Dunk played alongside him. Dunk will have watched the classy Upson. The way he managed forwards. Getting on the right side of them. Moving them into less dangerous positions and forcing them onto their weaker foot. His positional sense and his consistency, from game to game. Keeping it simple, concentrating and eliminating as many errors as possible from his game. The last thing Matthew Upson would have done is shouted at the crowd. He had too much class for that. Too concentrated on what he was doing as a professional to worry about a few murmurings from the crowd.
The following questions need to be asked about Lewis Dunk. Has he been fully committed to BHA and fully concentrated on the job at hand, since his proposed move to Fulham ( and alleged serious interest from Newcastle ) broke down? I have to ask this question, as his concentration levels seem way below where they were last season, in a struggling side.
Is Lewis Dunk maturing as a player? He has a lot of first team games under his belt now and has played alongside two steady performers in Upson and Greer. I have to ask this question as I continually see rash challenges, constant shirt pulling, as playersmanouvere him out of position. He has been lucky not to concede more penalties this season. He was recklessly sent off at QPR, when we.were winning and it changed the game. Burnley, literally ripping a player's shirt off, when we had the home side reeling. He did his level best to score an own goal at Derby ( when we were in control ) sliding in and taking the ball away from Stockdale ( Derby scored from the resultant corner ) I watched him closely at Brentford and he was uncomfortable on the ball, making 3-4 errors in the first half alone, all of which conceded possession and set up a Brentford attack. And then there was last night. A critical game to stay calm and composed. A night to dig in and make sure we didn't lose to a dangerous competitor in 6th place. Maintain that 7 point gap. Two schoolboy errors in a short space of time ( one cost us the game ) was too much for some fans and understandably so. He is too experienced now, he is no longer a rookie. It shouldn't be happening over and over again.
This is a good player letting himself down regularly and the fans need to know why. We all forgive the occasional lapse but this is seriously undermining the teams efforts. Given different circumstances, Dunk would clearly be given a decent rest from the side but that ain't possible at the moment. So, he has to prove to us now that he is capable of concentrating for a whole match and helping to lead our recovery out of this temporary slump.

Lots of words, but not all accurate. He didn't take the ball off of Stockdale at Derby, as Stockdale hadn't actually got hold of it. Dunk prevented the Derby player getting hold of it to slot it into an empty net. The equaliser came from a penalty conceded by Greer, so whatever Dunk did had no effect.
However, I'm sure Dunk will read every word of yours & learn his lesson.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

great post. I think Goldstone (yes I know) can learn more from playing with Greer. as you point out Dunk doesn't seem to be developing (maybe in time he will)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports