Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes Dc Goes To High Court!!!!!! Important

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
That is exactly my point in a nutshell.

Refusing to see the reality in front of you and resorting to petty insults. I actually thought better of you I am trying to have a serious debate about this.

So what you are saying is that when the club went into this they assumed ( ASSUMED!!!!!!!) that everyone would just roll over and accept what was being proposed without a fight. Are you that nieve?

When the two independant inspectors said NO, did that not ring alarm bells or were we too far down the line to back out? Had we committed too much money to look elsewhere?

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
seagull inde away stand said:
YES SAID BY TOBY ROLLESTONE BUT DONT THINK ANY MINUTES RECORDED AT MEETING IS THAT INPORTAINT

Ha! Rollestone is involved..I used to work with this soppy old tart.

I knew he bought a place in Falmer.......Ipswich Fan if I remember rightly from Dartford.

Hope he doesn't get too vocal. Wouldn't like to see local businesses boycotting the Building Surveying Practice he works for.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
fukin bomb them , make them scared to leave their front door , then and only then might they reconsider .

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Dies Irae said:
When the two independant inspectors said NO, did that not ring alarm bells or were we too far down the line to back out? Had we committed too much money to look elsewhere?

Dave, you well know that those two Inspectors recommendations (not a decision note) were based on the evidence presented at the time. At the time there was no conclusive proof that there was nowhere else to build the stadium. That is not the case now, the evidence is in place that there is nowhere else, so the AONB protection on the coachpark can be waived.

Last edited:

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
Dies Irae said:
Do you know what really gets me in all of this.

All the way on the line ( and this is not a critism of Ed etc) BUT we have been told, firstly the first inspector is fully in support of us and we have a good case - WRONG, secondly the second inspector was fully in our favour - WRONG, thirdly, the third inspector was fully in our favour - RIGHT, fourthly JP would is in favour - RIGHT, but f***ed up the wording so proving he didnty understand the situation. Fifthy FALMER would never have the money to challenge us _ WRONG, sixthly LDC wouldnt commit public money when they found out how much it would cost - WRONG Seventhly, LDC would accept the governments view that 1 item was wrong and 15 were right - WRONG.

We are also being told that LDC are fools as are Falmer and we know all the answers and we are right every time. Does anyone now seriously believe that? LDC obviously have very clever barristers which no amount of rubbishing by us has shifted their position. Now we are taking the desparate measure of setting up a party to fight the Liberals over 1 issue - Yes 1 issue.

I think this has turned into the biggest Farce ever

Maybe we are just going to have to face facts, there is NO site available in teh Brighton and Hove connurbation that we can build a stadium and Archer and Bellotti and Stanley have finally achieved what they set out to do, that is fatally maim this club.

I have not heard anything in the last 4 years to suggest we will not be at Withdean indefinitly

Good points there, It seems to me the Government want us to have the Stadium, and what annoys me is when they called it in for a Public enquiry way back in 2002 ! why they could not have just let it go through and even if LDC had challenged it for a JR it would have all been sorted by now.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
So basically, two inspectors recommend Falmer is a non starter, precott says ...ok then have another investigation to see if there is anywhere else in the area, third inspector says No.

Falmer it is then.

Which brings me back to my point....did anyone seriously believe the opponenets would lie down and accept this.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Hadlee said:
Good points there, It seems to me the Government want us to have the Stadium, and what annoys me is when they called it in for a Public enquiry way back in 2002 ! why they could not have just let it go through and even if LDC had challenged it for a JR it would have all been sorted by now.

I think the Government had to step in, as otherwise LDC would simply have rejected the coach park and it would have been game over for the whole project. A public inquiry was the only way around this situation.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Whens the march or are we going to sit on our hands for another year or so ???

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
Dies Irae said:
So basically, two inspectors recommend Falmer is a non starter, precott says ...ok then have another investigation to see if there is anywhere else in the area, third inspector says No.

Falmer it is then.

Which brings me back to my point....did anyone seriously believe the opponenets would lie down and accept this.

But would there have been this much determined opposition if they were building a Sainsbury's at the site ?

I really do think the LDC opposition is based on stigma and a hatred of football.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Dies Irae said:

It has shaken my belief in the fundamental rationalness of an Englishmen when presented with irrefutable evidence.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Hadlee said:
But would there have been this much determined opposition if they were building a Sainsbury's at the site ?

I really do think the LDC opposition is based on stigma and a hatred of football.

Of course it is; we already know that. Remember that this is the council that allowed Glyndebourne to expand in an AONB so we know that they're happy for building projects to go ahead on downland.

Just not football ones.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Hadlee said:

Sainsbury is worth a shit load more than Brighton & Hove Albion. They would probably have done the decent thing and bunged a few wedges in the right direction from the off. Not only would there have been a hypermarket there now but probably a few more knights of the realm thrown in for good measure.

Money talks.

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
Lammy said:
Sainsbury is worth a shit load more than Brighton & Hove Albion. They would probably have done the decent thing and bunged a few wedges in the right direction from the off. Not only would there have been a hypermarket there now but probably a few more knights of the realm thrown in for good measure.

Money talks.

How would LDC benefit from a Supermarket ? a football stadium however would bring business to the Lewes Shops and Pubs.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Is anyone in the least bit suprised at this decision? If I woke up this morning to hear the LDC had deceided to conceed and roll over I would have been STUNNED. As it was I heard that they intend to take it to the high court. Which is the whole point of a JR. No suprise at all. The only real suprise for me is seeing the levels ELECTED people stoop to when they have a bit of power.

For me the setting up of the Seagulls party is the whole reason we have a democracy in this country. And what a beautiful thing it is too! As a voter in the Lewes District I feel sick that MY MONEY is funding this! Who do I vote for in the council elections? The Lib Dems and the Torys are both against the stadium. The BNP have more chance of getting votes that Labour here so no point voting for them. Labour have really missed a trick by not campaigning on this issue here as I believe they could have picked up some serious votes for a change. So this leaves me with no real chance to vote for what I believe in. The Seagulls Party has finally given me that chance to let my voice be heard.

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
Another question I have is as LDC have rejected the Govt offer to revoke the planning decision by continuing with the challenge does this mean we now have planning permission still from last October ?

Or will Ruth Kelly still have to issue another decision ?

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Hadlee said:
How would LDC benefit from a Supermarket ? a football stadium however would bring business to the Lewes Shops and Pubs.

Did you read my post?

I'm not saying a super market would go through because it is what the area needs. I'm saying that Sainsbury's et al have a LOT OF MONEY to through at problems like this thus greesing the wheels of the system.

It's called CORRUPTION.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Hadlee said:
Another question I have is as LDC have rejected the Govt offer to revoke the planning decision by continuing with the challenge does this mean we now have planning permission still from last October ?

Or will Ruth Kelly still have to issue another decision ?

As I see it:

We still have planning permission

LDC are going to the High Court to challenge planning permission

The Government will concede on that one point

Planning Permission will then be quashed

Ruth Kelly will issue a new decision letter (taking into account the High Court decision)

LDC will then challenge that decision........................

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Dies Irae said:

Falmer it is then.

Those inspectors were not independent of each other. Both, at the first inquiry, refused ostensibly on the grounds that both would harm the landscape and the environment. They both acknowledged the benefits a stadium would bring. They also said no, however, because they felt an alternative site (Sheepcote) was better, despite having little or no evidence to back it up.

The 'third' inspector voiced the same concerns regarding the environment, but also concluded nowhere else was suitable and available. This last point was the main remit of his part of the inquiry.

Point is, Lewes are doing nothing more than cherry-picking the things which the inspectors said that agree with their snobbish stand, irrespective of whether the subsequent inspector either disagreed, criticised it, or flatly contradicted it.

The government, however, looked at the bigger picture and said that the stadium design mitigated against any problems the stadium itself might pose, and that the benefits outweighed the detriments (urban regeneration, social incluson). In other words, he attached more weight to the human aspect of the stadium, rather than the environmental one.

And Prescott was well within his rights to do so. Everything done here was legal, above board and in the open. It's just that Lewes refuse to accept it.

The people said YES, the fans said YES, planners said YES, the government said YES, the law says YES, common sense would say YES. So where is the basis for Lewes' challenge?

How can you battle with someone who won't look common sense in the face?

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Lammy said:
Did you read my post?

I'm not saying a super market would go through because it is what the area needs. I'm saying that Sainsbury's et al have a LOT OF MONEY to through at problems like this thus greesing the wheels of the system.

It's called CORRUPTION.

I seem to recall saying the same thing 5 years ago except that I used Tesco as the measuring stick not Sainsburys and in so doing quoted Broadbridge Heath and Guildford as examples of where they had wanted a store been refused but then built something that the council wanted and permission was granted. But then I would have said that because I am an idiot so I am continually told on here.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Just thinking laterally here - aren't Falmer Parish C. missing out on a prime opportunity here? The future of many churches in this country is dependant on its youth, as it is in any country of the world. When I lived in New York an upstate Church used the local grid iron stadium for youth networking...got kids off the streets, interested in music and church related youth clubs. Rallied loads of money for that parish, had a youth group interested and supporting the local team and gave kids something to do...They used the function rooms of the stadium for Friday night events etc...

If FPC could see the opportunity they're missing!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here