Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Levi Colwill

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Chelsea are ‘stuck’ with what they’ve got, they can’t throw yet more at that squad without selling first, and selling HGP at that.
They are still being linked in the media with £100m+ signings, but the truth is they can’t make them right now unless they want a points deduction, another season out of Europe makes it even worse.

A few more seasons like this and all these global ‘supporters’ will soon leach on to the next ‘big’ club.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Be fun to make a real lowball offer; like £10m + £3m in add-ons. Just to get a rise

You jest, but I was listening to a football podcast the other day with a non-BHAFC affiliated football finance expert, who was suggesting that the reason for the quieter January transfer window was that those clubs who have flexibility in their FFP calculations (Tottenham, Brighton, Brentford) are waiting until June, when Chelsea will need to raise £100m by the 30th of that month, or "fail" FFP. You can envisage someone like Daniel Levy waiting until the 29th June and then coming in with a very low offer for Connor Gallagher... Hopefully Tony will do the same!

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
Like when Tottenham bid £12 m for Trossard when we needed to sell. It will certainly be way, way, way below the £50 - £60 million Chelsea are asking for Gallagher.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Interesting comparison here of how Chelsea are using him compared to how we did. Chelsea stats for this season on the left (20 apps), his Albion stats (17 apps) on the right. Yes he has been shoehorned in at LB for a fair chunk of this so not a direct comparison, but illustrates how Chelsea are seemingly ignoring all the strengths he showed when playing for the Albion. Way more passes, higher pass completion, more forward passes and fewer backward passes under RDZ.

View attachment 174952
The difference in his defending stats is surprising, I thought I'd put in the wrong parameters at first. Bear in mind these stats are close to being over the same number of games. His 'attempted tackles' numbers do the job of illustrating what a different role he is playing at Chelsea.
View attachment 174953
I'm sure if I bothered looking up Caicedo's stats they'd tell the same story.
Where are the 'Time with boot on top of the ball' stats? :lol:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If he's on the rumoured £100k then I think that's the top end of what we'd go to.

Only issue is you'd be making a 21 or 22 year old your highest earner which isn't a great starting point for a wage structure.
Would be a superb investment in the future tho IMHO. Levi Colwill is a thoroughbred, we've already seen how he slots right in here, he gets it. Boy's not even 21 yet, and Dunk's sadly not getting any younger. We could be staring his natural successor in the face

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Would be a superb investment in the future tho IMHO. Levi Colwill is a thoroughbred, we've already seen how he slots right in here, he gets it. Boy's not even 21 yet, and Dunk's sadly not getting any younger. We could be staring his natural successor in the face
Not to disagree with the wider point that he's a top player with great potential, but I see JP as Dunk's successor in terms of being captain material. Colwill is possibly a more technically gifted player, but I see JP as more of a leader.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You jest, but I was listening to a football podcast the other day with a non-BHAFC affiliated football finance expert, who was suggesting that the reason for the quieter January transfer window was that those clubs who have flexibility in their FFP calculations (Tottenham, Brighton, Brentford) are waiting until June, when Chelsea will need to raise £100m by the 30th of that month, or "fail" FFP. You can envisage someone like Daniel Levy waiting until the 29th June and then coming in with a very low offer for Connor Gallagher... Hopefully Tony will do the same!
This would also explain why so many of Chelsea's big money signings are underperforming for a protracted period. Maybe they know they will fail FFP so many will be sold in the fire sale. Champions League is out of the question now, so the League Cup Final vs Liverpool is absolutely huge for Chelsea.

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
This would also explain why so many of Chelsea's big money signings are underperforming for a protracted period. Maybe they know they will fail FFP so many will be sold in the fire sale. Champions League is out of the question now, so the League Cup Final vs Liverpool is absolutely huge for Chelsea.
I think the Rumbelows Cup winners only qualify for the Conference league, so financial peanuts really compared to the Champions League gravy.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Not to disagree with the wider point that he's a top player with great potential, but I see JP as Dunk's successor in terms of being captain material. Colwill is possibly a more technically gifted player, but I see JP as more of a leader.
Absolutely agree with this, but I keep re-watching Enciso's goal against City last season and seeing Colwill's role in it - that's why RDZ likes to have a left-footed player in the LCB position.

Hopefully Dunk's got a lot of years left in him, but I'm imagining what a central defensive pairing of JPvH on the right and Colwill on the left would look like in 5 or 6 years time. They'd be absolutely terrifying, surely. Really hard to get past, but capable of turning defence into attack in the blink of an eye.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Absolutely agree with this, but I keep re-watching Enciso's goal against City last season and seeing Colwill's role in it - that's why RDZ likes to have a left-footed player in the LCB position.

Hopefully Dunk's got a lot of years left in him, but I'm imagining what a central defensive pairing of JPvH on the right and Colwill on the left would look like in 5 or 6 years time. They'd be absolutely terrifying, surely. Really hard to get past, but capable of turning defence into attack in the blink of an eye.
Simmonds will be partnering JPVH by then :thumbsup:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Hopefully all the savvy clubs will do the same and not help them mugs out

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
It wouldn’t surprise me to see KDH as a Pedro style ‘announced immediately at the end of the season’ signing. Even if they get promoted they’ll need to sell.
Yes, the cut off for PSR is 30th June so if Leicester are likely to be in breach then a reasonable strategy would be to keep someone like KDH for the rest of the season, get promoted and have an agreement with another club ( eg us) to sell before 30th June.
Whether that is the case is to be seen.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
This sounds plausible.

Chelsea fans and board still in denial. Minds will be more focussed in June.

I think we should do just as you suggest. Colwill isn't a player we need, but there's no doubting what a player he will eventually become. If someone else gets him, cest la vie. But there may be a chance to pick up a summer bargain. And won't social media be delicious if that happens

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Of course, you're right, but look at JPVH marauding run and assist from last month.

I don't buy into the idea that Colwill would immediately displace Van Hecke if he returned, no matter how much RDZ has gone on about him through the autumn. Things have changed since he left

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here