Let's not beat about the bush: self service checkouts

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Tesco self service points at Holmbush now have Xmas jinglejangles being played as you scan your items.....AAAARRGGHH!! Humbug!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
To take your admirable standpoint forward [encourage low paid local workers] I trust you employ a cleaner and a gardener at home?
Or, perhaps, more likely, you do it yourself to save money?.

Well I live in a first floor flat and only clean the place when visitors are imminent . Does that answer your question? :shrug:

And why on earth would you not employ somebody local who could do with the work and its work you couldn't / wouldn't do yourself? Sake! :rolleyes:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Well I live in a first floor flat and only clean the place when visitors are imminent . Does that answer your question? :shrug:

Yes, and tells me all I need to know about you too.
Ok. lets try another self-service option to see if I can get the point over.

When putting fuel in your car, do you do it yourself, or is their a pump attendant to do it for you?
When I was a wee boy there used to be a pump attendant at every petrol station.
Indeed, many countries still do this, e.g. South Africa and USA.
By going DIY on fueling our cars, have we not put local folk out of work?
Why did we take this course of action?
To try and keep cost of fuel to a minimum.

If you had a choice of going to a petrol station with an attendant but pay 10p a litre more, I guess you would choose that over DIY and boycott the cheaper option.

I don't think we are ever going to agree on this one.
You pays yer money and takes yer choice, but I know where I'd prefer to buy my fuel.

And when all I want is a pint of milk and the manned checkout have the Golightley family queuing with their weekly full trolley shop - personally, I find it a no-brainer to use the self-service tills.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Surely you couldn't imagine that was a serious recommendation ???

I often see people walking around eating in supermarkets, it's usually the fat ones or fat mothers with kids which have to eat a cheese pot thing or sausage rolls else they go into a meltdown. So I thought you might be serious.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I often see people walking around eating in supermarkets, it's usually the fat ones or fat mothers with kids which have to eat a cheese pot thing or sausage rolls else they go into a meltdown. So I thought you might be serious.

Not in Waitrose we don't! My Mrs would thrash me with a Salami if I started nibbling 'my own' food anywhere other than a designated dining area....never mind unpaid for shopping! :eek:

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
for

IIRC you can buy one pack of Paracetamol without the need for authorisation but 2 or more makes you a suicide candidate.
The price of Neurofen [compared to Paracetamol] does not make this the drug of choice for Hari-Kari merchants.

see

Because Nurofen is ibuprofen and you can't commit chop suey with it whereas with paracetomol you can.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Post office self service kiosk you need a degree to work it and a vast knowledge of the postal services offered and at the end you still need a member of staff on hand to authorise the transaction. Must the the worst self service ever.

Mr Bronson

Feb 24, 2009
I work for one of the large supermarkets and got taken around the till lab. Banks of self service tills all talking away. I'm sure they were having a conversation. Hell on earth.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not in Waitrose we don't! My Mrs would thrash me with a Salami if I started nibbling 'my own' food anywhere other than a designated dining area....never mind unpaid for shopping! :eek:

Good man, my faith is restored !.... however, I do fear for society when you see young mothers doing their shopping wit two trolleys, one to put the food in and one used as a mobile cage to contain their hyperactive children.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Apparently there is nothing security can do until the customer has paid for their goods as they may eat the pork pie but then scan the wrapper so it is then not shoplifting. In Asda Crawley I saw a woman break a cooked chicken anc give a piece each to her chikdren then do the same with a 4 pack of fizzy drinks. I reported it and the above answer was given me by the Security.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Apparently there is nothing security can do until the customer has paid for their goods as they may eat the pork pie but then scan the wrapper so it is then not shoplifting. In Asda Crawley I saw a woman break a cooked chicken anc give a piece each to her chikdren then do the same with a 4 pack of fizzy drinks. I reported it and the above answer was given me by the Security.

Yes, technically there is no offence committed until they leave the store and as such, they can throw the wrappers away and get away with it unless they are observed. ... and most of the time the supermarkets are too scared to prosecute in case it leads to bad publicity.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Today - Sainsburys Gyratotry Lewes Road Lunchtime

6 x Asian Blokes ( all students around 17-18 asked to produce ID for a few cans of beer) fair enough.

Me a 59 year old decided to go the self service route because of the delay(RED ALARMS GO OFF:eek:)

They exit while I wait for ROBOCOP to give me the once over and then let me pay and get the feck out of there FFS!

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
COOP have by far the worst self service machines
Morrisons run the COOP them a close second

A bad workman always blames his tools.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
So the self service not only does someone out of a job, it also gives a means of what some seem to think is a legitimate way of shoplifting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports