Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Let's not beat about the bush: self service checkouts

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Are you sure?
In my experience, once the assistant has verified you are old enough for your first alcoholic item, all the following alcoholic items are accepted without the need for further assistant athorisation.

This. Some used to require authorisation for every item but now they all seem to work properly. I should know with the amount of BOOZE I buy.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
My relationship with the Asda self service tills in Woking was going swimmingly until the charging for bags started. Now you have to ask the woman that looks after the tills for the bags and how many you need, if she's about or not helping 6 people before you. Seriously annoying during work lunch hour. We are going through a rough patch now.

I think you may be missing the point of charging for bags?

RECYCLE?

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Fairly sure that when these machine first came out there was a limit on their use of 10 items or less. This led to all kinds of pointless anger when the ignorant old lady pitched up with a months worth of shopping and started scanning. Humans are funny.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I won't use self service checkouts on principle. The staff being ordered to oversee them are supermarket equivalent of turkeys voting for Xmas. not that they have any say in the matter, sadly. IMHO self service checkouts should be boycotted mercilessly in favour of employing more checkout staff, a.k.a members of the local community.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
I won't use self service checkouts on principle. The staff being ordered to oversee them are supermarket equivalent of turkeys voting for Xmas. not that they have any say in the matter, sadly. IMHO self service checkouts should be boycotted mercilessly in favour of employing more checkout staff, a.k.a members of the local community.

By that reckoning, do you use cashpoints?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
It would be nice if the machines said thank you from time to time. Why are they so stroppy?

First of all I thought maybe a Jonny Cab like in the Film Total Recall.

But then I thought a HAL1000 from the film 2001AD Space Odyssey. As you put the items through you are on a scale which weighs you and take your BMI, then the red light can say in the HAL voice ,"I am sorry Fatty but I am unable to let you buy these donuts, you have had far to many already,may I suggest you return them and go to aisle 3 and buy a lettuce?".:)

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
It's all very well complaining as a customer (I always favour self-service tills), but put yourself in the shoes of the poor employees who have to stand there listening to that for hours on end: 'Remove item...' etc. on top of which they've got stressed and moaning customers pulling them this way and that to the extent that their heads must be spinning. Next time you get peed off in self-service think about the person at the other end and it'll all seem quite trivial in the grand scheme of things.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Morrisons one is the best - the electronic woman "Please take your items" seems to get more angry and stressed every time the recording repeats if you don't pack up your stuff quickly enough. #Christmas Spirit

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

But you'll pay for the pleasure.

The supermarkets are trying to minimise their overheads. Re-think your comment with the supermarket view in mind "How much money can I take on the till [maximise income] using as few staff as possible [minimise costs] without adversely impacting customer services. With self-serve check outs, one assistant can oversee circa 10 tills - that's called efficiency. This then enables the supermarket to sell their produce at cheaper prices giving them competitive advantage.

Yes, it puts checkout staff out of work, but only in the name of cost cutting efficiency and the impact on your wallet.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
But you'll pay for the pleasure.

The supermarkets are trying to minimise their overheads. Re-think your comment with the supermarket view in mind "How much money can I take on the till [maximise income] using as few staff as possible [minimise costs] without adversely impacting customer services. With self-serve check outs, one assistant can oversee circa 10 tills - that's called efficiency. This then enables the supermarket to sell their produce at cheaper prices giving them competitive advantage.

Yes, it puts checkout staff out of work, but only in the name of cost cutting efficiency and the impact on your wallet.

Every single company is trying to maximise profit while minimising staff. At some point you have to say 'enough already' and do your own small part to f*ck up their business plan in support of locally-based employment of, y'know, people who live and would love to work in their local community. Like your college-aged son or daughter for just one example. There are many other examples.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003

The irony of you posting a luddite comment by using the internet, newish technology, possibly from a mobile phone onto new tech social media escapes you.. You are like Ernest without the caps lock.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The irony of you posting a luddite comment by using the internet, newish technology, possibly from a mobile phone onto new tech social media escapes you.. You are like Ernest without the caps lock.

Hardly my fault you prefer not to speak to humans apart from on here :shrug:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Morrisons one is the best - the electronic woman "Please take your items" seems to get more angry and stressed every time the recording repeats if you don't pack up your stuff quickly enough. #Christmas Spirit

Maybe Basil Fawlty would be better? Or Herr Flick of the Gestapo?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Hardly my fault you prefer not to speak to humans apart from on here :shrug:

I'm not blaming you for my Misanthropic tendencies, just pointing out your hypocrisy..I would be careful, one of those auto-tills you snub could be a DECEPTICON and chase you out the store and rip you limb from limb.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
B&Q on lewes road is a nightmare, I hate the machines in there they are fecking useless.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Every single company is trying to maximise profit while minimising staff. At some point you have to say 'enough already' and do your own small part to f*ck up their business plan in support of locally-based employment of, y'know, people who live and would love to work in their local community. Like your college-aged son or daughter for just one example. There are many other examples.

To take your admirable standpoint forward [encourage low paid local workers] I trust you employ a cleaner and a gardener at home? [other examples of DIY money saving activities also available]
Or, perhaps, more likely, you do it yourself to save money?

If the latter, your comment is hypocritical by not wanting to do DIY supermarket checkout but happy to do DIY cleaning and gardening ....
If the former, I take my hat off to you for supporting employment in the community from your own pocket ....

Oh, by the way, both my kids are gainfully employed but not as checkout assistants, cleaners or gardeners.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here