Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Price check for vagiclean on isle 5

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
They can be great but, when things go wrong, standing arguing with the machine isn't a good look!

There must be a name for that. Talking to the TV, arguing with the self service check out machines, abusing pay and display machines in car parks etc. The one thing that differs between Supermarket checkouts, is the machine doesn't ask if you are OK to bag the mountain of food yourself.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Small individual pork pies are best eaten before arriving at the baggage area.....as are all pastry items! :whistle:

I'm now seeing the reason for part of your NSC moniker, a bit surprised you are old though if you carry on like this ? :wink:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
My relationship with the Asda self service tills in Woking was going swimmingly until the charging for bags started. Now you have to ask the woman that looks after the tills for the bags and how many you need, if she's about or not helping 6 people before you. Seriously annoying during work lunch hour. We are going through a rough patch now.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Where else can you get avocados for the price of baking spuds?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
My relationship with the Asda self service tills in Woking was going swimmingly until the charging for bags started. Now you have to ask the woman that looks after the tills for the bags and how many you need, if she's about or not helping 6 people before you. Seriously annoying during work lunch hour. We are going through a rough patch now.

Ah, so that's how you get bags! Was using one in ASDA at the marina the other week and it was repeatedly asking me if I wanted a bag, and yes, I did start shouting at it telling it there ARE no bloody bags.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Also some of the tablets, I haven't quite fathomed yet why Paracetamol needs to be authorised, but Neuorfen doesn't....?!!?

Because Nurofen is ibuprofen and you can't commit chop suey with it whereas with paracetomol you can.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Because Nurofen is ibuprofen and you can't commit chop suey with it whereas with paracetomol you can.

I can, I'm allergic to Ibuprofen, it brings me out in a mild case of death......

Fair enough, I just assumed if anyone took enough of any tablet they would do themselves harm.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I can, I'm allergic to Ibuprofen, it brings me out in a mild case of death......

Fair enough, I just assumed if anyone took enough of any tablet they would do themselves harm.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Self checkouts are fantastic if the people ahead of you aren't utterly thick or if they're not letting their kids try and work the machine. The express lane in a rammed supermarket where adults need to get moving is not the place to teach little Zachary how to use his thumbs.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not according to a USA uni who did an analyses of uses and found they were if buying less than 5 items otherwise it took 2x the time of the till operators.

Not a surprise, although any more than 10 items or so and I wouldn't bother anyway. We all know the real reason for this is for supermarkets to cut down on staffing costs.

Personally, there is a little piece of me that resents this "innovation" - not only for making fewer jobs available, but also because I am now expected to pack and price my own stuff. I expect a little bit of customer service from companies that already screw suppliers, are awash with cash and can frankly afford to give customer service. So when I read things like people paying for avocados at potato prices, I can't say I'm indignant with rage.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The worst scenario is a person with a trolley full of shopping and letting their litte 5 year old scan the items. Wife says the quickest way in Tesco is self scan as she is going around the shop and she always uses that method if available.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I pretty much always use self-service checkouts. Less keen on the ones where you can't turn the voice off (Co-op, for one), but other than that, I think they're great.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Problems also arise if you are buying booze - EVERY item needs to be authorised.

Are you sure?
In my experience, once the assistant has verified you are old enough for your first alcoholic item, all the following alcoholic items are accepted without the need for further assistant athorisation.

Last edited:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Also some of the tablets, I haven't quite fathomed yet why Paracetamol needs to be authorised, but Neuorfen doesn't....?!!?

IIRC you can buy one pack of Paracetamol without the need for authorisation but 2 or more makes you a suicide candidate.
The price of Neurofen [compared to Paracetamol] does not make this the drug of choice for Hari-Kari merchants.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here