Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lets Get One Thing Straight

Albion Rob

Hands up, I quite like Pompey. I've got loads of family from there and went to see them quite a few times when terraces were allowed and relegation battles were the fashion at Fratton Park. Indeed, if my family hadn't moved to Sussex and settled in Eastbourne then I'd have probably become a Pompey fan under the influence of my cousins. I love the city, in all its grimy, dirty working classness and I find the place fascinating.

However....

Let's not have all this old bollocks about Pompey being brilliantly supported. TopDog, here's a little treasure hunt for you.

Name the teams tyou were playing on the following dates when you got the following attendances:

9/4/94 - 7,005

8/4/96 - 8.978

10/11/98 - 9,335

Now, don't get me wrong, it's all going in the right direction (I guess using this logic by 2035 they'll be getting 250,000 per game) but bear in mind this was when football was a lot cheaper to go to and Pompey were still in what is now the Championship.

Hard to argue against a lot of the fans only turning up to see Premier League football when you've got these figures slapping you in the face.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Name the teams tyou were playing on the following dates when you got the following attendances:

9/4/94 - 7,005

8/4/96 - 8.978

10/11/98 - 9,335
And lets not forget those glory days of the late 70s when we were getting 26,000+ every week and they were playing in front of 6,000 while struggling to hold onto division 3 status. Very happy days indeed.

That really is bollocks - there are loads of Albion fans out there who f***ing hate Portsmouth, and I'm one of them.

Remember tho, they employed the dream team of Alan BAll AND John Gregory as managers:D

But really why should I hate a two bob outfit who don't give a toss about us.

I spent a year diwn there in 84 and it al they ever naged on about was their "hatred" of Southampton (and that waswhen Southampton were lording it up in the top division and Pompey ahd just crawled out of the old third division)

Even beating us 5-1 at home was hardly a big thing for them

beleive me , we did not register on their horizon.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't dispute that, but that's not what you said!

I seem to remember there was a rivalry in the mid 80s anyway with both teams vying for promotion to the top division for about 3 seasons running. Palace were shithouse at the time and we used to beat them routinely. :D

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
I don't dispute that, but that's not what you said!

I seem to remember there was a rivalry in the mid 80s anyway with both teams vying for promotion to the top division for about 3 seasons running. Palace were shithouse at the time and we used to beat them routinely. :D

Memories like the corners of your mind :lolol:

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
I prefer Pompey to Palace. They've got more headcases than Palace but, in their way, they are a much friendlier lot. Not so keen on the new Pompey fans who've crawled out in Sussex.

Don't go along with all this hatred stuff. I used to visit both Fratton and Selhurst in the 60s when the Albion were away up north usually to watch the visiting team.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
brighton are a good club, a family club.

Don't go deceiving yourself, you are a moderate club from a grim town enjoying your time in the sun, nothing more, nothing less. The potential of BHAFC could match/outstrip Portsmouth FC any day, a good club, a family club from Hampshire.

:)

D

Deleted member 2719

Pompey are a bunch of gobby sailor boys that are on the up because of there cash.
I can't wait to see you lot back to 6000 crowds when talkrapp gets caught with those brown envelopes (allegedly)and you get fined millions and then no backer will come within miles of your (allegedly)scamming club.

Mr westwood sums up you lot - brain dead librarians.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
Bakesy, You are missing the point, Portsmouth have a team worth backing, if only we had.
Years ago Portsmouth were big rivals, we can only envy them now

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Court case adjourned for seven days. Just enough time for them to lose against Southampton, have 7 more owners and still not have a pot to piss in.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Would you be here gloating....

...if Mandaric hadn't pumped in millions?

I really couldn't care less if we do not reach the heady heights that Portsmouth have attained. I daresay you are going to have some serious problems on the horizon if Gaydamak is keen to jump ship. You must have a pretty hefty wage bill and problems with the stadium beckoning. How long will 'arry stay if he is not granted his annual warchest to splash about?

Im only giving back what brighton give us. We know who we are etc. We may be in debt but so are most clubs. And there'll always be a buyer for our club, cos of the passionate fans etc. We're in debt, pretty big, but show me a club who isnt? It's all predicted etc.

We'll be fine, as will whu etc. We may struggle and go down one day if he goes but we'll be fine.

Hello TopCat? :wave:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Im only giving back what brighton give us. We know who we are etc. We may be in debt but so are most clubs. And there'll always be a buyer for our club, cos of the passionate fans etc. We're in debt, pretty big, but show me a club who isnt? It's all predicted etc.

We'll be fine, as will whu etc. We may struggle and go down one day if he goes but we'll be fine.

:bounce:

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Personally speaking, i don't dislike Pompey and their vocal support is second to none...........if only WE could get behind our team at Withdean like they do at Fratton then the whole Withdean experience would be much improved.

As for rivalry.....forget it......There will only EVER be ONE RIVAL and everyone knows its the Pala#e WANKERS.

Takes hands out of pockets....could be Crawley soon tho' bro....

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I prefer Pompey to Palace. They've got more headcases than Palace but, in their way, they are a much friendlier lot. Not so keen on the new Pompey fans who've crawled out in Sussex.

Don't go along with all this hatred stuff. I used to visit both Fratton and Selhurst in the 60s when the Albion were away up north usually to watch the visiting team.

Yes the atmos between Brighton and Palace only turned sour in 1976 after the FA Cup games.

When I started supporting Palace in 1966 our bitter rivals were Millwall. Then Chelsea when we were promoted, then Millwall again, and then...

Now it's Charlton after we were their landlords and they the rentboys in the 1990's. And Dowie made it worse.

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
Want to know why I dislike Pompey? In the eighties they thumped us 5-1 at Fratton Park, we were then locked in the ground for a good hour after the game and some bright spark of a sailor decided to play the radio goal commentary back over the tannoy.

A riot nearly took place and could of caused a crush in the packed away end, I'll never forget it. I also get annoyed when they bang on and on about their support, singing endless rounds of Play up Pompey does'nt warrant it. Fred Dinage and South Today, enough said.

Hope they survive but we are going to be top dog on the South Coast for years to come, get used to it :wave:

brighton are a good club, a family club.

However, ive met a lot of brighton fans who despise Pompey for whatever reason. Why?

I find it hypocritical you call us small. A lot of our hardcore fans have been priced out and whatever happens, whatever division each club is in, you'll never, EVER be as BIG or FAMOUS as Portsmouth F.C. A club who've won 2 top flight titles, 2 fa cups, 2 finals, 2 semi finals, and about 8 lower league football titles.

Not as much as some clubs, but know your place lads. You're a good club, run well, but don't ever get ahead of yourselves, you'll never match us. Even southamp*on fans know they cant.

ARRY REDKNAPP BLUE AND WHITE ARMY \0/

Take care and good luck against hereford.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here