Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Let's Big Up Barnes

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Every player has more than one role in the side. It's just antiquated, facile English-football thinking that considers it otherwise.

Typical of you lefties to make an unpatriotic comment, you clearly have forgotten that it's a mere 47 years since we last won the World Cup. No wonder this country has gone to the dogs, can't walk down the street these days without seeing a Polish plumber fixing a washing machine etc etc.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
How would he have done as a lone striker in a injury hit team, with little support I wonder. You are comparing apples with pears here.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yes that's fine, the conversation has moved away from Barnes however. I am not anti Barnes by any means, I just struggle with the way he is held up in such high esteem for scoring 2 goals in 16 games. If he is great then Crofts must be out of this world with his five.

1: He has not played up front in all of those games.
2: He's scored 48 other goals too since coming to the Albion, and is (apparently) about 12th in the All Time list of goalscorers for the club, which isn't as shabby as you make out.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I don't recall Wardy playing the lone striker role though.

I recall Wardy going it alone on many occasions, beating defenders, getting into the box and scoring all sorts of goals, a player of his time who was in the England squad as a third division player. I am trying to illustrate that if Barnes stood up more he would achieve more, some times its easier to go to ground than actually go for goal, I think there s something of Poyet in that however. In terms of lone striker, i'm not sure about that, Ulloa and CMS both played in that role and scored goals for the club.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
1: He has not played up front in all of those games.
2: He's scored 48 other goals too since coming to the Albion, and is (apparently) about 12th in the All Time list of goalscorers for the club, which isn't as shabby as you make out.

I do not have the facts to hand, however he has only two goals this season is not great, yes he has his place in the team but why such adulation?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I do not have the facts to hand, however he has only two goals this season is not great, yes he has his place in the team but why such adulation?

Why such scorn?

You're comparing him to arguably our best-ever striker, rather than the dozens? hundreds? of others who have played.

Hundreds, possibly thousands of players have played for Brighton down the years, and only 23 have scored more.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Of course, surely that's a yardstick which to measure against or are we just settling for mediocrity?

Do you like any of our players? As good as they are I'm not sure any of them are as good as the best ever to play that role, so all of our players must come up short in your eyes. Except perhaps kuszczak, depending on if you rate grommet above him according to the other thread.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Of course, surely that's a yardstick which to measure against or are we just settling for mediocrity?

A yardstick you're viewing through rose-tinted Foster Grants from back in 1977.

To say Ward stayed on his feet as often as he could is quite funny. He still goes down easily now - though that's probably more to do with the state of his knees.

Ward's record as a centre-forward in his first to seasons in this division is 24 goals in 66 games.
Barnes' records in this division in the first two season as an occasional centre-forward, occasional wide-midfielder is 19 goals in 77 games.

Not as good as Ward's of course, but if Barnes' record is only mediocre, Ward's isn't pulling up too many trees either.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Oh dear.

The past four years of the way Brighton play seem to have passed you by.

No not at all, I didn't miss any of the passing the ball across the back four for a quarter of the game, or the 'lets give the ball to Vicente at all costs strategy, slow build up identified by the opposition so easily, hence the endless bore draws, or the not coming back after being behind ability. Passing the ball and retaining possession is fine, if it is done quickly and with a forward direction. No, it hasn't passed me by and I am not a purist, a contemporary intellectual on football, but I watched that strategy unfold on us in the later end of last season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here