Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Let's Big Up Barnes

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Tell me why you rate Barnes so much and I will tell you why I don't. You can big him up all you like, he hasn't scored enough goals for us this season and cant run and I reiterate has been very lucky to get the minutes this season

he can't run? Funny i'm pretty sure I've seen him do that in every single match I've seen ...still never mind u seem pretty entrenched in your views.

i wonder if his scoring record would be better if he played the number 2 striker? Like he seems to have done back in league one with Murray....i also wonder how well Lita would do as the lone striker.....from the little I've seen of him i'm not so sure he would be doing the sort of work that Barnes gets through for the team...still it just an opinion like

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Some may not remember, but Peter Ward was not a big guy and played with Ian Mellor and Teddy Maybank, he was kicked off the park by the defenders of the day, but scored many, many goals for us, why, because he stood up and didn't go down. When Barnes can stand up and go for goal rather than give up and go to ground, I will big him up. He is fulfilling a role to the best of his abilities atm and I am not knocking anything he is doing, but lets put this all in context. he needs to toughen up.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Some may not remember, but Peter Ward was not a big guy and played with Ian Mellor and Teddy Maybank, he was kicked off the park by the defenders of the day, but scored many, many goals for us, why, because he stood up and didn't go down. When Barnes can stand up and go for goal rather than give up and go to ground, I will big him up. He is fulfilling a role to the best of his abilities atm and I am not knocking anything he is doing, but lets put this all in context. he needs to toughen up.

Ward...Messi...you are right they aren't big guys....and there aren't many players in there league....Barnes imho is learning...and will be a better player for it

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
As a workhorse and player I always liked Barnsey...my complaint about him was his temperment and diving.But it seems over the last few matches he has matured,the battering he took today and not retaliating showed class,he works hard for the team,defending as well attacking.
He is young and will keep improving...well done Barnsey.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham

True,but I never saw Wardy run back to help the defence,great goalscorer but todays game is teamwork and working for every player in your team..he's playing the game as Oscar wants him too...that's good enough for me...

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Ashley Barnes, top man. Only just out scored by Murray in the League 1 promotion season and always battles for the team wherever he's asked to play. Can't believe he gets so much stick.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Alternatively you can judge a team on results.

So, IF a winning team has a weak link you should not look to improve?

Barnes had a good game yesterday, but he needs to keep on having good games, scoring goals is part of that.

2 goals in 16 games.......

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Played well yesterday and will deserve to keep his place against Bournemouth.

I don't believe he will stay in the side when Ulloa is fit, he isn't the type of player that Oscar will change his whole system to accommodate him in the starting 11. However if he keeps playing like he did yesterday he certainly will stay involved every week to some degree.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Agree Barnes worked tirelessly again. Along with Ince. Kuszczak wasn't bad either.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I watched the game live on TV in t'internet. Barnes looked very decent, as he has by and large for quite a while. I agree with those here who like his attitude, his improvements, and his potential. The only times I get exasperated are when he fluffs a half chance, but he'll get better.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Lita will be nearly fully fit now this was holding him back getting starts. Barnes scored twice last week which is great as he helped us get the 3pts that's the main reason he kept his place. If OG insists on playing him and he's not scoring why not drop him back and put Lita up there

Did you go to the game?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I watched the game live on TV in t'internet. Barnes looked very decent, as he has by and large for quite a while. I agree with those here who like his attitude, his improvements, and his potential. The only times I get exasperated are when he fluffs a half chance, but he'll get better.

This. I'd have taken Barnes over Holt all day yesterday and twice today. In fact it's the main point in this weeks blog match report.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
So, IF a winning team has a weak link you should not look to improve?

Barnes had a good game yesterday, but he needs to keep on having good games, scoring goals is part of that.

2 goals in 16 games.......

I'm sure barnes is aware of the need to score more goals....but if his work allows others to do that and the team wins..then its not quite such an issue

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm sure barnes is aware of the need to score more goals....but if his work allows others to do that and the team wins..then its not quite such an issue

Quite right. FIVE goals for Crofts this season from midfield and I don't see anyone on here moaning that Crofts doesn't tackle enough. The way we play under Oscar it is not necessarily the striker's job to score so long as someone does.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Quite right. FIVE goals for Crofts this season from midfield and I don't see anyone on here moaning that Crofts doesn't tackle enough. The way we play under Oscar it is not necessarily the striker's job to score so long as someone does.

What utter nonsense, you clearly are under the mistaken apprehension that it's a team game.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Barnes was close to MOTM yesterday. His hold up play was as good as I've seen from him in his time at the club.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ashley Barnes, top man. Only just out scored by Murray in the League 1 promotion season and always battles for the team wherever he's asked to play. Can't believe he gets so much stick.

All of this.

Another selfless performance yesterday. Great stuff ash, keep it up.

Can't believe people are STILL purely judging him on goals to games ratio.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here