Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lets all laugh at Liverpool :)

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Liverpool did not have OG on their side.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I hope so, I've always been a fan of Hodgson's so thought it was great when he travelled to Liverpool. I take no enjoyment in seeing any club struggle, my point was Liverpool have struggled the last 2 seasons and I am not sure Rodgers is the right man to pull them back to the top. This might make you laugh even more but I thought Benitez was the man to do it but they went in a different direction, we shall see.

Benitez was really building something before all this shit storm started. I would have loved to have seen him finish it.

I should admit my bias on this thread and put my hands up as a bit of a closet Liverpool fan.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
rodgers cenrtainly turned them around eh,very underrated manager,and loved watching the programme being liverpool

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
rodgers cenrtainly turned them around eh,very underrated manager,and loved watching the programme being liverpool

Well bounced. They made mincemeat of Man Utd yesterday. The look of SAF in the stand was a joy to behold.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Not only are they now title contenders, they're playing the most watchable football with a relatively small squad compared to the others.

Assuming they qualify for the champions league. Next year will be a big challenge and a huge indication of where they are at.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Not only are they now title contenders, they're playing the most watchable football with a relatively small squad compared to the others.

Surely all clubs have a 25 man squad in the PL?

They might use a smaller group of players but that's mainly due to crap signings and luck with injuries.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I've got a lot of time for Rodgers, nice bloke who's done well to take Liverpool to where they are.

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding

They might use a smaller group of players but that's mainly due to crap signings and luck with injuries.

Yes, they all have to use 25 man squads. However I think he means that this season Liverpool's 25 men are having to play less games than for example Man Citys. So next year will be a test whether than can be as consistent when having to play more games and travel more.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

That's what I meant, although the crap signings is partly due to less money being available. I say party as they bought Downing and Carroll for over £50 mill a few years ago when they were rebuilding under Dalglish.

Their squad basically isn't as good as the others in the top 4.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Nice to knock United off their ****ing perch!

Hang on a minute. I'm definitely no lover of Man United but Liverpool haven't won the league in 24 years. In that time United have won it 13 times. Hardly knocking them off their perch by being above them for 1 season in 24 years during a transition period for United.

As someone put above, next season with the Champions League distraction, will be a much better one to judge Liverpool (and United) on. And far, far too early to talk about knocking the dominant team in English football for a generation off their perch. And if any team is doing that its surely Man City.

Again I stress I have absolutely no love for United.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Must admit I haven't watched many Liverpool games on TV this year but it didn't seem to me that they played as well as they have, certainly S&S up front didn't seem as on fire as they have done. Its a shame as if they has played like they did against Arsenal it coul dhave easily been double figures.

Rohana

I'm.Actually.Dead.
Feb 16, 2010
Shoreham-By-Sea
They were excellent yesterday.

I hope they finish in the top 4

Think they're nailed on to finish top 4 now. Think the current top 4 are fighting amongst themselves for positions now.

Where it gets interesting is when you realise that both Man City and Chelsea have to travel to Anfield where Liverpool have a brilliant record this season (P14, W12, D1, L1). They are only four points behind Chelsea with a game in hand too. City are 4 points behind Liverpool but have two games in hand. Although as I said, still have to travel to 'Pool. Arsenal are very hit-and-miss and their goal difference is nowhere near as good, basically giving 'Pool an extra point. Liverpool are right in the thick of the title race.

IMO Liverpool are in a brilliant position to actual win the league this year. When you consider they have a very young side too (Mingelot, Sahko, Flanagan, Henderson, Courtinio, Sturridge, Sterling.) then it all points to a potential return of the dominant Liverpool side of 30 years ago. Next weekend is MASSIVE. Arsenal are playing Chelsea whilst Liverpool and Man City play two clubs fighting relegation (Cardiff and Fulham respectively) Could see Liverpool close the gap to two points, and get ahead of Arsenal.

Still personally think City are favourites, followed by Chelsea but I'm glad I stuck £10 E/W on Liverpool to win the league a few weeks ago when they were at 10's. Could be an exciting end to the season.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Hang on a minute. I'm definitely no lover of Man United but Liverpool haven't won the league in 24 years. In that time United have won it 13 times. Hardly knocking them off their perch by being above them for 1 season in 24 years during a transition period for United.

As someone put above, next season with the Champions League distraction, will be a much better one to judge Liverpool (and United) on. And far, far too early to talk about knocking the dominant team in English football for a generation off their perch. And if any team is doing that its surely Man City.

That was me.

My comment was tongue in cheek really.

United will be back on their perch soon enough. I am just enjoying it while I can.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
Must admit I haven't watched many Liverpool games on TV this year but it didn't seem to me that they played as well as they have, certainly S&S up front didn't seem as on fire as they have done. Its a shame as if they has played like they did against Arsenal it coul dhave easily been double figures.

I think the tactics yesterday by Liverpool and their diamond formation favoured the midfield, S&S had chances but the battle was won in midfield where Liverpool absolutely dominated.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

United were able to dominate during that period partly because Liverpool were going though their own transitional period-overseen by David Moores who manages to make David Moyes look like a football genius. Then they had those 2 stupid American owners who bled them dry to the brink of bankruptcy. The transition went on far longer than planned, then panic set in. It doesn't take much for a club to drop out of the top 7 when idiots are in charge-as we well know.

One thing that is nice to see at Liverpool now is an owner and manager not scared to field younger players (like Ferguson used to and like Oscar is doing for us). Dalgleish spunked shitloads of money in panic mode, Roy wasn't the right fit for the job but in Rodgers I think they have the man capable of re-building them. When you see United throwing £300K a week at Rooney it shows the madness of the Premier League. Suarez's new contract didn't come cheap but I think Liverpool are getting much better value for money than United although no club gets true value for money when they pay such crazy amounts.

United won't allow themselves to be also rans for too long so the rest of football is collectively enjoying this season-a Champions League exit will be the icing on the cake.

Έλα Ολυμπιακός

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If you've got ten reasonable players around him it's amazing what you can achieve if you've got just one world class player who is bang in form. It's like Spurs with Bale.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
United were able to dominate during that period partly because Liverpool were going though their own transitional period-overseen by David Moores who manages to make David Moyes look like a football genius. Then they had those 2 stupid American owners who bled them dry to the brink of bankruptcy. The transition went on far longer than planned, then panic set in. It doesn't take much for a club to drop out of the top 7 when idiots are in charge-as we well know.

One thing that is nice to see at Liverpool now is an owner and manager not scared to field younger players (like Ferguson used to and like Oscar is doing for us). Dalgleish spunked shitloads of money in panic mode, Roy wasn't the right fit for the job but in Rodgers I think they have the man capable of re-building them. When you see United throwing £300K a week at Rooney it shows the madness of the Premier League. Suarez's new contract didn't come cheap but I think Liverpool are getting much better value for money than United although no club gets true value for money when they pay such crazy amounts.

United won't allow themselves to be also rans for too long so the rest of football is collectively enjoying this season-a Champions League exit will be the icing on the cake.

Έλα Ολυμπιακός

Surely Liverpool will always be struggling financially against United, Chelsea and Man City particularly until they can redevelop or relocate from their undersized disgrace of a stadium. Towards the back of the Anfield Lower during our cup match there the other year, you could barely see the Kop end goal for example.

They have a very good manager and strike force but in my opinion not the financial clout to sustain a serious challenge against the big boys year in, year out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here