[Albion] Let's all laugh at Arsenal

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
According to the BBC we were playing as well!
"Keeper Leno was at fault for the first goal, put his defence under pressure playing out from the back and almost gifted Brighton a third, providing evidence why Arteta is in the market for a new number one."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58109868
I do feel sorry for Ben though (I felt sorry for Duffy too!) as much as I dislike the team he plays for, I want him to do well as an individual player. :shrug:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
From that display I’m just glad we didn’t get drawn against Brentford in the first game thinking we were going to give them a stuffing. Arsenal may have been poor, but Brentford never stopped and looked dangerous all match.
Personally, I like our ex players who have done well for us, doing well in their careers. We have a bit of us all invested in White.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I'm not going laugh at anyone until we finish this season safe from relegation.....only then will I smirk at other clubs misfortune.

scooter1

How soon is now?
Their recruitment of white looks mind boggling if they are planning on a back 4. Madness.
This.
His defensive frailties were exposed last night, and Gary Neville(who I rarely take much notice of) pointed out a few weaknesses that were bang on the money. But the bottom line for White last season was that he was supported by 2 far better defenders than him in Veltman out wide, and Dunk next to him.
I wish him luck as an ex Brighton player making the step up, but last night he was a square peg in a round hole

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
It’s harder for the opposition to target a player aerially in a three, especially when the other two are 6ft 4. If they play a 4 they and he are in real trouble. Even many of the weaker teams have attackers who will be able to beat White in the air and physically. Suspect we will see them revert to a three very soon.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
It was fortunate that the second Brentford goal went in as I thought White handled the ball in the box in the lead up to the goal not something any new defender wants on there first game for a new club especially with a £50 million price tag hanging heavily around your neck

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
If Arsenal wanted a finished CB who would be the rock in defence, then they went for the wrong player-they need Dunk for that role. White is still learning his trade, and as others have said, good as he is, and as good as he may well become, Arsenal do not have the defenders around him for him to learn from-that was very apparent last night. There is a danger that by playing him in his weakest position, and expecting him to perform the Dunk role will be detrimental to his future development. It may well be that last nights formation was a one off, and he will be played wider for future games-we will see. It was easy to see how White improved over last season I hope for his sake that doesnt come to a sudden halt now

I don't think its the time to laugh at Arsenal, or any team just yet. Brentford played their socks off last night, and I think any team would have been up against it . Will they be able to maintain that though in the weeks and months ahead?

First games are hardly indicative of the season to come, they may be a rude awakening to some fans (AFTV was a joy to watch last night) and perhaps some teams will take another look at their plans for playing Brentford, but as Potter keeps saying -no easy games

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
On the face of it the transfer doesn't seem to have done either side any favours.

White was good for us because he was next to Dunk who was doing the "proper defending", cleaning out, winning headers and organising. It gave him licence to start attacks and fill in at RWB or midfield as other players swapped in Potter's fluid football. On the ground he could still win good challenges, the odd skinning from Phil Foden aside.

Last night in a two he was bullied in the air by Toney and given very little protection by the rest of Arsenal's porous looking defence. Playing as one of two CBs in a four he's going to get targeted by any direct type of side. Burnley will absolutely bully them as well.

Meanwhile we have lost a key player that allowed that very fluidity in formation. Veltman can do it, though not as well, but not if he has to take up right back duties. Without a replacement signing (or a miracle season from someone like van Hecke) we are one more injury away from another season of Dunk 'n' Duffy having to block everything.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I don't think its the time to laugh at Arsenal, or any team just yet.

I think last night was EXACTLY the time to laugh at Arsenal. Beaten 2-0 by PL rookies in the first game of the season after all that ESL bollocks and then a section of their deluded support spending the summer treating our squad like their own personal Argos catalogue.

Lovely to see them crash back down to earth the moment a ball is kicked.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think last night was EXACTLY the time to laugh at Arsenal. Beaten 2-0 by PL rookies in the first game of the season after all that ESL bollocks and then a section of their deluded support spending the summer treating our squad like their own personal Argos catalogue.

This.

If I can't take delight in the misfortune of others there really is bugger all point in fans being back, because we're going to have a very, very long season ourselves.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

100% this.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
That new 50m defender isn't all that is he can't head a ball

Flat back 4 was never his strength. Playing out White looked ok for me.

As a centre back in the air against a strong forward (Webster & Dunk covering that in a three at the back shape)...... not worth £5m let alone £50m...

Somebody at Arsenal only did half their homework. Maybe we could buy him back for half-price?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
On the face of it the transfer doesn't seem to have done either side any favours.

White was good for us because he was next to Dunk who was doing the "proper defending", cleaning out, winning headers and organising. It gave him licence to start attacks and fill in at RWB or midfield as other players swapped in Potter's fluid football. On the ground he could still win good challenges, the odd skinning from Phil Foden aside.

Last night in a two he was bullied in the air by Toney and given very little protection by the rest of Arsenal's porous looking defence. Playing as one of two CBs in a four he's going to get targeted by any direct type of side. Burnley will absolutely bully them as well.

Meanwhile we have lost a key player that allowed that very fluidity in formation. Veltman can do it, though not as well, but not if he has to take up right back duties. Without a replacement signing (or a miracle season from someone like van Hecke) we are one more injury away from another season of Dunk 'n' Duffy having to block everything.

Agree with all this. White's pace will be a loss to us especially with Lamptey out whereas Arsenal needed Dunk or Webster not White. There was no way Dunk would let that 2nd goal bounce over his head.

White has never been the best aerially which we covered up more when Sanchez came in and came off his line to claim as well as playing the likes of Webster, Dunk, Burn and Welbeck who can win battles in the air. Leno seemed more Ryan like yesterday and stuck to his line. If thats the case - and I don't watch enough of Arsenal to know - i will be betting the likes of Soucek, Dunk and Maguire to score anytime against them. Whatever, its fantastic to see Arsenal in meltdown already.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
The bigger clubs losing to the smaller clubs is one of the romances of the league for me. It was made even more romantic by the fact it is Brentford's first time in the prem. Brentford were also my late Grandad's team.

I love a result like this. Love seeing entitled fans wet the bed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports