Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leeds lining up their Ben White replacement

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Well if he got the same attitude as his dad, he will 100% be gone.

In that case I hope they can deal with the "surprising" disappointment that a recently turned 18 year old CB is very unlikely to take a starting spot in Leeds or any other PL/Championship team.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Given Tony Bloom's general stance on transfers, I would be stunned if we sold White to Leeds this summer. Despite what their fans might think, there is a fair chance that Leeds will be in bottom half of the Premier League (and we may well be there too). Why would we sell to a potential rival? And, given the ability he apparently has, I would be very surprised if Leeds spent anywhere near his value on signing a centre back. The rest of their squad needs a lot of work too.

The only way I can see White leaving is if a big six club comes in with a massive offer, taking a big gamble on him being as good as people are saying and getting in there before he has a Premier League season and his price increases a lot.

You are almost certainly right, but what if White makes it clear that he wants a transfer. Bloom has stood firm when first team players have put in transfer requests, although I can only think of Stephens who has done this. Do we know what happened with Locadia and Andone though?

To be clear I am not suggesting the above will happen but if it did would we really try and hold onto a player who wasn’t even in the first team and made it clear he wanted out?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
HAHAHAHA we can but wish. Unless a truly woeful Stoke (I know they battered Barnsley but they are crap) upset the odds tonight, you've got to say it's starting to look like it is going to happen.

Be fun to watch them go straight back down after Bielsa jumps ship when he falls out with the board by October.

31 minutes played, 0-0

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Conversely it would be good if he’d said that he was a Brighton player and wanted to break into our first team. Most loanees tend to say that that they hope to make the team of their parent club whilst out on loan.

The lack of spoken commitment speaks volumes to me

I haven’t written off a transfer to Leeds

You are reading far too much into it. He's a Leeds player this season and comments about us would be disrespectful to Leeds, most players don't commit too much either way beyond the "I'm really enjoying my time here and my aim is to help the club finish as high up the table this season as possible".

The simple fact is the club doesn't sell unless it wants to, even when the player is pushing for the move. We refused Leeds request for the loan to include an option to buy, there is no way the club will changed that thinking in the 12 months since then. I'd be shocked if White went anywhere next season, and if it does it would certainly be for a fee higher than what Leeds can afford, i'd go as far as to say that in the current market our valuation of White is higher than what any club would currently pay, lets call it the Zaha Effect.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
You are almost certainly right, but what if White makes it clear that he wants a transfer. Bloom has stood firm when first team players have put in transfer requests, although I can only think of Stephens who has done this. Do we know what happened with Locadia and Andone though?

To be clear I am not suggesting the above will happen but if it did would we really try and hold onto a player who wasn’t even in the first team and made it clear he wanted out?

A lot depends on where White is rated by Potter compared to our current centre backs. It will be interesting to see where he fits in to the team.

If he pushed to leave, who knows what will happen. But, even if he did, I'd be very surprised if we strengthened one of our rivals. The amount Leeds could pay us would be nothing compared to the loss if we sold him to them and they stayed up at our expense as a result

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I’ve not seen them myself is what I mean by it

1234.jpg

AlbionInUs

Oct 11, 2019
US
Brighton obviously hold all the cards...

HOWEVER, if/when Leeds do make it to the Prem, don’t you think he would prefer to play with them? In no way is Ben guaranteed a starting spot like at Leeds. Would he even overthrow a more experienced Webster? Things have worked well at Leeds, wouldn’t he want to continue there? Brighton is undoubtably a step above Leeds even when Leeds are in the Prem, but the gap isn't that big. Then again, I’d be shocked if TB allows him to leave to a relegation rival, even if Leeds could afford him.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Brighton obviously hold all the cards...

HOWEVER, if/when Leeds do make it to the Prem, don’t you think he would prefer to play with them? In no way is Ben guaranteed a starting spot like at Leeds. Would he even overthrow a more experienced Webster? Things have worked well at Leeds, wouldn’t he want to continue there? Brighton is undoubtably a step above Leeds even when Leeds are in the Prem, but the gap isn't that big. Then again, I’d be shocked if TB allows him to leave to a relegation rival, even if Leeds could afford him.
I think we'll be paying 3 at the back next season amd White will be very much part of it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The Telegraph have claimed that Leeds United are one of a number of clubs interested in signing Brighton defender Haydon Roberts – facing competition from Brentford, Derby County and even German giants RB Leipzig.

Roberts may be a very good prospect - but good enough to be a replacement for White at this stage in his career? I doubt it - especially if Leeds are in the PL, which is not unlikely.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Well if he got the same attitude as his dad, he will 100% be gone.

In that case I hope they can deal with the "surprising" disappointment that a recently turned 18 year old CB is very unlikely to take a starting spot in Leeds or any other PL/Championship team.

What has his dad done ?

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011

If White made it clear that he wanted to go it still would not make sense to sell him and strengthen Leeds who we will be directly competing with next season.
Even if he downed tools it would be better to put him in the u23s. But I’m sure that won’t happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here