Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leeds lining up their Ben White replacement

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I really hope that is true. Jake can definitely re-post his Tweet from last year.

Save this for next season:

Having watched Brighton today, and I know I’m not impartial, but you really should be pleased about the prospect of an expansive, exciting, ambitious Leeds team...full of home-grown talents...joining the Premier League [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
This is utter delusion.

You'll be relegation rivals, because with very few exceptions, that's the lot, of newly promoted sides. Sheffield United included, next season, I'd suspect. Quite why you'd immediately compare to Wolves, rather than Norwich or Villa, I'm not quite sure.

And Bielsa has your journeymen playing 'like top end PL players' because they are playing against Barnsley and Luton, FFS :rolleyes:

Not forgetting that Leeds’ will have to splash out 50m just to keep current team before they even start to strengthen the current squad.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Not forgetting that Leeds’ will have to splash out 50m just to keep current team before they even start to strengthen the current squad.
not true. don't go believing everything you read on the internet

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
If you are in the championship going for promotion there are about 6 teams that will give you a run for your money of which three you should beat. The rest are cannon fodder.

In the premier it’s about 8-10 teams that are going to give you a run for your money of which 4-6 you have a good chance of winning against. The remainder .... you are the cannon fodder.

If you are a newly promoted side or in your second season it likely to be worse!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I regard Leeds in the same way as Sheffield Wednesday, a once famous club now living in the past. I’m convinced their supporters believe they’ll come in to the division and pick up where they left off, having rivalries with Man U and such like. Personally I think they’ll do well not to go straight back down. We’ll see.

I agree with a lot of this. I've never really got the 'we're a big club' thing. Surely the 'biggest' clubs in the country are the ones in the top division. If not, then how long can clubs claim they're 'bigness'? Are Preston still a big club? Blackburn? Huddersfield? When film actors retire, or star in fewer 'blockbusters' are they still regarded as 'big' actors? Bigger than the guys that are doing them there and then?

Surely your size (whatever it is – football club, individual, high street store, restaurant chain) is dependent on your current performance? Baffles me that fans still refer to their clubs as 'big clubs' when they aren't even in the top league of 20 clubs in the country :shrug:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

not true. don't go believing everything you read on the internet

Well, you've just said you're paying £8m to keep Harrison, the loan-to-buy agreement will cost as much again to keep Meslier (they turned down £9m from Monaco for him), and you're committed to £18m for the crap striker from Liepzig, so unless you are suggesting you'd get White for £15m, the total (just to stand still) is well in excess of £50m

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
So it’s not true that Leeds are being forced to sign the Leipzig player for 18m euro as a condition of the loan deal?

i am led to believe the player holds the cards and he does not want to be part (nor he is wanted) of bielsa's leeds . leipzig cannot force him to sign for anyone.

there is a release clause on the original loan but leeds believe they are water tight as the loan expired on june 30th - and was not extended nor a request to extend (as with white, meslier, harrison) by either side and the way the contract is worded leeds were to be promoted before expiry of the loan deal to trigger a purchase. we weren't promoted by 30th june.

ir is all a bit snide if you ask me, he is clearly a talented player just couldn't get to bielsa level of fitness.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Well, you've just said you're paying £8m to keep Harrison, the loan-to-buy agreement will cost as much again to keep Meslier (they turned down £9m from Monaco for him), and you're committed to £18m for the crap striker from Liepzig, so unless you are suggesting you'd get White for £15m, the total (just to stand still) is well in excess of £50m

your figure on meslier is well wide of the mark, the loan to buy on him is £4.5m, you lot used to be wordly wise on here now sounds like you just believe whatever nonsense is on teamtalk or twitter.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
i am led to believe the player holds the cards and he does not want to be part (nor he is wanted) of bielsa's leeds . leipzig cannot force him to sign for anyone.

there is a release clause on the original loan but leeds believe they are water tight as the loan expired on june 30th - and was not extended nor a request to extend (as with white, meslier, harrison) by either side and the way the contract is worded leeds were to be promoted before expiry of the loan deal to trigger a purchase. we weren't promoted by 30th june.

ir is all a bit snide if you ask me, he is clearly a talented player just couldn't get to bielsa level of fitness.

Even if what you say on Augustine, and the £4.5m for Meslier proves true, it would STILL cost you the best part of £50m to permanently sign the three.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Its so so difficult for promoted clubs. Almost guarantee two will go down. The step up doesn't appear that great when viewing from the Championship but in reality is a gigantic chasm. Ben White might succeed in the PL but one things for sure, he'll find it really tough going.

Lush

Mods' Pet
that goes both ways, everyone seems to think white is the second coming of maldini (i don't) but he is playing against some proper shite forwards, i mean the championship is never great but this season i think is especially poor. vardy, aguero, ings etc., will run rings around white.

Starry! Thank you for being a Leeds fan who talks sense.

(Although I think Ben White will learn very quickly if he gets the game time in the Premier League. See Lamptey's performance against Vardy.)

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
It is amazing to hear the arrogance of some of the Leeds fans. Leeds should be pleased that they have had the benefit of a great loan signing. The loan has been a win win. Good for Leeds, Ben White and of course, Brighton. Ben White will not be playing for Leeds next season as he is owned by Brighton & Hove Albion. We have him on contract for two more years and his valuation is likely to go up.
In terms of 'size' of club, this is a complete nonsense. Sheffield United have done brilliantly this season and I don't think even their very humble fans would say that they are a 'big club'. Villa on the other hand are a massive club according to their less than humble fan base. They spent big and where did that get them.
The fact is that all but the top 6 clubs in the Premier League are in a relegation battle every year and the last thing we will do is sell a rising star like Ben White to one of our relegation rivals.
The challenge for Leeds will be to improve their squad next season but retain their key players like Kalvin Phillips. Cooper, Ayling, and Bamforth will all need replacing in my opinion and they'll need a decent keeper.
Plus they will need a new Centre Half as a certain Ben White will be at Brighton trying to force his way into our first team.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think we'll be paying 3 at the back next season amd White will be very much part of it.

But where on earth would we find a right sided wing back playing that style...... (starts salivating)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think we'll be paying 3 at the back next season amd White will be very much part of it.

But where on earth would we find a right sided wing back playing that style...... (starts salivating)

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
This is brilliant :laugh:

Imagine a club like the massive Leeds Utd of the championship coveting one of our loan kids this much. He'll do well to make our bench at the beginning of next season, that's the truth.

What are they on up there!?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here