Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lee Mason

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yeah, I agree Premier League/Championship players probably wouldn't be assed, its a stressful job, TBH I doubt they would be allowed to to ref in the UK anyway due to previous allegiances.

But I would some ex lower league or semi pro players that never quite made encouarged to give it ago.

Have any top refs even played county football?

Not that I know of but I suppose there might be a couple. Interesting contrast with cricket where most of the umpires are ex County players (I think playing first class cricket used to be a requirement but not now)

One of my former staff was the twin brother of a guy that refs at European level (based in Scotland and normally reffing in the MTL and an identical twin so caused a few issues for my guy on nights out in Glasgow depending on how the games had gone LOL) - going rate then (and this was a few years ago) for Europa league was around £5k per game plus expenses.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
This with bells on and seems to be the critical point being overlooked. The ref has no responsibility for a defence or keeper not being switched on.

There is no law end of.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
There is no law end of.

But this statement seems to clearly suggest is allowed to blow if keeper not ready. What a farce!

Screenshot_20210227-183402.png

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Mr Mason referees to the very best of his ability.

It’s just he’s shockingly poor and out of his depth.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Lee mason in that first half looked at times panic stricken, bewildered and not in control having said that we were the masters of our own downfall Premiare league and miss two penalties very very poor

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This with bells on and seems to be the critical point being overlooked. The ref has no responsibility for a defence or keeper not being switched on.

No, but it is the "done thing" - sportsmanship of a kind, I guess.

I don't doubt that Mason told Dunk he could take the free-kick when he did, probably as things were getting set up "Lewis - wait until I blow" or similar.

But almost as soon as he blew the whistle, he then realised that the keeper was still standing on his post and was not set, so he attempted to make the ball dead by blowing again. Did he do it in time? VAR says so.

The whole thing was farcical though, with Mason wandering around looking like a lost and confused drunk.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
But this statement seems to clearly suggest is allowed to blow if keeper not ready. What a farce!

View attachment 134310

That is reinventing the laws of the game, secondly the ball had without doubt enter the goal before the second whistle. It is wrong and the statement is embarrassing.

It is completely irrelevant about the keeper being ready it's if the ref is ready

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I will add I've never seen a ref get in the way as often as he did throughout the game players had to move around him constantly

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Let’s not forget, he also missed a blatant handball that VAR had to give 2 minutes after the incident.

Abysmal performance, should be retired now.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
There’s no rule that says the defence have to be ready. We scored a similar goal at Anfield which was allowed.

It didn’t affect the result because of two missed penalties, but that doesn’t excuse Mason.

What??

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
If all the opposition players left the pitch we'd still miss

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yeah, I agree Premier League/Championship players probably wouldn't be assed, its a stressful job, TBH I doubt they would be allowed to to ref in the UK anyway due to previous allegiances.

But I would some ex lower league or semi pro players that never quite made encouarged to give it ago.

Have any top refs even played county football?

Not that I know of but I suppose there might be a couple.

John Moss was an academy player at Sunderland and then Millwall.

Assistant ref Darren Cann was at Norwich as an academy player, and played reserve team football for Palace.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I really want Potter to lose it, throw some passion behind his interview we need that as supporters, I want to see the frustration to say how it was wrong beyond the norm, Throw some teddies

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
.....and Lee Mason was a poster boy for Specsavers and trained Labradors part-time.

Lee Mason’s brother (Andy) was a professional footballer. You’d imagine Lee must have played a bit in his younger days.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I really want Potter to lose it, throw some passion behind his interview we need that as supporters, I want to see the frustration to say how it was wrong beyond the norm, Throw some teddies

This! I'm not in the ' Potter Out ' camp and neither do I want the histrionics and/or the bizarreness of some managers. However, personality wise he's a bit of limp lettuce!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here