Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lee Mason

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I totally agree. If I was manager I would have pulled the players off. The second whistle was when the ball had hit the net. Blowing the first is to restart the game. It's completely irrelevant where the keeper is , it's if the ref is ready which he was. We're far too nice and should have created merry crap over it. We didn't we lost.

I'm fed up with what a nice club we are, started having some balls and say it as it is.

It's wrong and ****ing say it is big time.

Filth.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He also got the injury time in the first half so wrong. The free kick debacle stopped play for 5 and a half minutes, there was also the penalty ( how did he miss the handball, another shocking decision) and a goal.
I reckon injury should have been 6-7 minutes, we got 4.

He can’t even tell the time.

The 4th official does the timekeeping.

So between Mason, the VAR and the 4th official, they all had a tremendous afternoon.

Mason was also the guy who was stood down for a few games earlier this month after the farcical red card for Southampton at Old Trafford, and the Soucek red card, for which he was the VAR for both those games (both reds were retrospectively rescinded on appeal).

I don't think Mason is very good.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Mason made a mistake.

Our players made, approx, 478.

Keep it in proportion.

Well in truth he made at least 4 mistakes in that freekick alone.

1. Blew the whistle when keeper was lining up the wall
  2. Blew the whistle a second time for no reason
  3. Ruled out the goal
  4. Gave the goal
  5. Ruled out the goal again

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
That’s rubbish.

Whew, thank goodness, that really is a load off my mind. You're not going to believe this, but I thought we'd managed to lose to both Palace and West Brom this week. I know, crazy right?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
When you miss 6 clear cut chances and two penalties. Plus the fact that missing chances is a trend says to me we should be looking in our own back yard instead of worrying about a mistake by the ref.

We can still discuss a shocking bit of officiating aside from the loss/win. Even if we had won, it would be a major talking point.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Totally lost the plot. If he gets a another match this season then something is very wrong!

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
The 4th official does the timekeeping.

So between Mason, the VAR and the 4th official, they all had a tremendous afternoon.

Mason was also the guy who was stood down for a few games earlier this month after the farcical red card for Southampton at Old Trafford, and the Soucek red card, for which he was the VAR for both those games (both reds were retrospectively rescinded on appeal).

I don't think Mason is very good.

The timekeeping issue is poor in most our games. The Man U one famously.

Coach_Carter_92

Apr 25, 2013
Home
As far as I'm aware, there is no law which states the keeper has to be ready and set for the free kick to be taken, its at the referees discretion. Otherwise no quick free kicks would be allowed

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Whew, thank goodness, that really is a load off my mind. You're not going to believe this, but I thought we'd managed to lose to both Palace and West Brom this week. I know, crazy right?

We did because we have crap strikers. I’ve seen better league One strikers in our teams than a Maupay and Connally. Potter is doing ok.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I don't think anyone is implying he is to blame for our missed chances, but he clearly is to blame for making yet another high profile **** up which potentially changed the outcome of the game.

He is a useless ****. If you were that inept at doing a 'normal' job you'd be let go, but because he is a ref he'll never even be held accountable for his errors and any player or manager that points out his mistakes will be slapped with a massive fine (as Dunk inevitably will). So it's fine, there's no choice but to just let him carry on destroying the integrity of every game he referees.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As far as I'm aware, there is no law which states the keeper has to be ready and set for the free kick to be taken, its at the referees discretion. Otherwise no quick free kicks would be allowed

No, but the referee will tell players when they have to wait for his whistle prior to a kick being taken which, typically, only happens for a free-kick in shooting range.

So he would have told Dunk he had to wait.

He then saw the West Brom wall was set, so blew to indicate the kick could be taken...

...and then blew it again, to make the ball dead, when he saw the goalkeeper was still trying to line up the wall on his near post, and was not "ready".

So it came down to where the ball was when he blew that second whistle. VAR determined the ball was still live, ie not over the goal line, so that whistle stopped play. Watching it at full speed it looks like the ball was over the line when he blew that second time, but there's no way of knowing that. We'd need Sky, or someone, to freeze the video at the millisecond that the second whistle becomes audible.

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
When you miss 6 clear cut chances and two penalties. Plus the fact that missing chances is a trend says to me we should be looking in our own back yard instead of worrying about a mistake by the ref.

Whilst I agree with what you say, I am totally fed up with the lack of accountability of referees and the fact that they do not have to explain or justify their decisions to players and fans.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I wouldn’t/didn’t suggest any would quit, just can’t see many being arsed to do the job when they stop playing. It would take them several years to qualify as well.

Yeah, I agree Premier League/Championship players probably wouldn't be assed, its a stressful job, TBH I doubt they would be allowed to to ref in the UK anyway due to previous allegiances.

But I would some ex lower league or semi pro players that never quite made encouarged to give it ago.

Have any top refs even played county football?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Mason might have cocked up on this particular decision but we royally fecked up missing two Penalties. Absolutely criminal, do they actually practice these in training how many have we missed this season

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
No, but the referee will tell players when they have to wait for his whistle prior to a kick being taken which, typically, only happens for a free-kick in shooting range.

So he would have told Dunk he had to wait.

He then saw the West Brom wall was set, so blew to indicate the kick could be taken...

...and then blew it again, to make the ball dead, when he saw the goalkeeper was still trying to line up the wall on his near post, and was not "ready".

So it came down to where the ball was when he blew that second whistle. VAR determined the ball was still live, ie not over the goal line, so that whistle stopped play. Watching it at full speed it looks like the ball was over the line when he blew that second time, but there's no way of knowing that. We'd need Sky, or someone, to freeze the video at the millisecond that the second whistle becomes audible.
1) the ref told dunk to take the FK according to dunk. (I believe dunk)

2) there is a delay in audio between what is transmitted and real life.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

This with bells on and seems to be the critical point being overlooked. The ref has no responsibility for a defence or keeper not being switched on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here