Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lee Mason

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It's not all bad though. He's given the Potter In crowd their excuse for our defeat well before half time, so they can kick back and relax us watching us rack up the possession.

And given the Potter out crowd some enjoyment, you can sense Lenny Rider sharpening his pencil

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
We need to get some refs that have actually played the game at a higher level.

I would also like to get some refs that look the part too..... like some hard looking c*nts (maybe ex special forces) who laugh at divers and tell them to stop being pussies.

But more so, maybe some refs who have actually played at a decent level would do for now :lolol:

East London Exile

Jan 13, 2013
London
Restart after that disallowed goal

If the goal was disallowed as the whistle went after the ball was kicked and before it crossed the line, why did the game restart with the free kick and not a drop ball? Not an expert on the rules, but surely the reasons given suggest the game was restarted with the original free kick so the second whistle was to stop play.If so a restart should be a drop ball.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
What I want to know is what the second whistle was for. It can't be because West Brom weren't ready as that's not a valid reason to blow up.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The problem here is Mason should not have blown the whistle when he could clearly see their keeper still lining up the wall, farcical.

I do agree Burn wasn't interfering..

There’s no rule that says the defence have to be ready. We scored a similar goal at Anfield which was allowed.

It didn’t affect the result because of two missed penalties, but that doesn’t excuse Mason.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Missing two penalties in a match is unforgivable and frankly Sunday league , I could possibly take it if the keeper made two saves but he's nowhere near them .

Nobody to blame here other than ourselves for that defeat , our XG for that game will probably be 5 or 6 ffs .

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
There’s no rule that says the defence have to be ready. We scored a similar goal at Anfield which was allowed.

It didn’t affect the result because of two missed penalties, but that doesn’t excuse Mason.

Agreed, but if I was the ref I would at least let the keeper set his wall up before blowing the whistle, it was a total mess..

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Well than not the point is it :facepalm:

The second whistle was 100% after the ball crossed the line, it was a goal. Both players in offside positions were not interfering with play, as proved by the replays.

Has to go and never ref again

I am NOT disagreeing with you for one moment but the commentator said that the goal was disallowed because the ball had not gone over the line before the second whistle?? I really don't know what to make of it, but I can't fathom out why he blew the whistle twice -was it because he then saw, after the first, that WBA were not ready and that he had made an error. If that is the case, that is criminal, because he punished the team which scored a legit goal for his own stupidity.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I believe there was a moment when Mason genuinely didn't have a clue what he'd done, why he'd done it and what he should do about it. So he gave the goal. Then Hoops on VAR overrules him.

I don''t recall seeing a ref lose it as blatantly as that.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
My problem with this is current official line on it from the PGMOL.

So much back and forth. Some total codswhollop excuse about "blowing the whistle to signal to STOP play before the fk was taken" and eventually settling on "the 2nd whistle was DEFINATELY blown before the ball crossed the line".

I would be fine with this if it was the case, but upon watching a reply it is clear this is total ßullshit. So not only does Mason need suspending (ppl make mistakes, sit it out for a bit mate) but whoever is behind the PR of this needs to be sacked, too.

They were desperate to rule it out. Realised later what they had done and awarded us a pen? Which wasn't a pen at all. Absolute disgrace from officials today. So much for VAR.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
What I want to know is what the second whistle was for. It can't be because West Brom weren't ready as that's not a valid reason to blow up.

They've issued a statement - it was because Mason spotted their keeper wasn't ready.

But he had already said it was OK to take it!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Cheated by the ref and VAR imo. We are going down

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
Agreed, but if I was the ref I would at least let the keeper set his wall up before blowing the whistle, it was a total mess..

This. Mason realized he’d ballsed up and given us a huge (though legal) advantage. I got the impression him and var then spent 5 minutes desperately trying to disallow it.

Still. Made no difference to the result.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

That is what the prat should have done, but I assume he blew his whistle too early without really looking and then the second because he realised what an idiot he was -then compounded his lunacy by saying no goal, then it was awarded,and then got VAR to get him off the hook. Given the other complaints this season will he be reffing next week -you can bet he will ! But the fact remains that yet again, we failed to score -Mason is useless, but that was not the reason for today's debacle

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here