Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leandro Trossard SIGNS ON A FOUR-YEAR DEAL

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
C'est la vie. A motivated Trossard is a very big asset for us. A sulking one - not so much. Not convinced he will get anything other than more money and less playing time elsewhere and the hints were there with Cucu and Biss as bigger teamss fans aren't as patient but his choice. And Mitoma is a perfect replacement if we can get another good front man in. Moder and Encisco can play the inside forward if required although not sure about the False Nine. But a replacement for Undav with Ferguson and Welbeck should mean we don't need a False 9 and just need players who are adept at both wing play and cutting in to fit our system. And Sarmiento could well step up with more regular time in that position.
If he moves now though I think it is necessary to replace him with a finished product player or it just looks quite lightweight in the "can beat a man and do something on his own"-department again if any of Solly or Mitoma is out.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
There's some countries outside your island as well, which I think is probably the most likely outcome for Tross.
I think hes got himself in to a difficult situation. 29 this year so any transfer will be his last chance to earn big money or play in the Champions League. Very few clubs outside of England pay £20M plus for a player, only the top 2 or 3 clubs from La Liga, Bundesliga or Serie A. China? MLS? Not really a step up in level.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
18 months left on his contract, not particularly young, bit of a discount for not moving to a rival club... Don't think the club would ask for more than £20-25m at this point, which is rather hefty outside of England but not beyond imaginations. Inter or Milan could probably afford him (and he'd be a starter or close to it in those clubs), some French clubs, maybe Atletico Madrid/Sevilla in Spain... Ajax would probably also be a very likely destination, they have absurd money and sometimes sign classy older Benelux-stars despite their general philosophy to go with the youth.
Im fairly sure we pay more than Ajax and they may have lots in the bank but they don't really spend. Also they are worse than us and out of champions League. They are a mess. Would be a stupid move for tross.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I suspect we would want 30 odd to sell but for that money I reckon the clubs you mention would want younger players. My guess is that he ends up staying 18 months and maybe leaves on a free. Time will tell.

I will miss him though because on his day he is top class. Sadly he NBA’s quite long spells when he is not on his day. Quality player though.
Player seems to have pretty severe motivational issues. Where's the inner engine?

Maybe not one to break the bank over :shrug:

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Hasn't looked great since his return. Could want away with the timing of the contract extension we've exercised but this is just speculation of course. We're in a position now where he won't be missed as much as he would have been last season for example.

We want players that want to be here. Can't see him signing a new contract, his agent will want to engineer a move for the pay day. Whether that's this window or in the Summer, we'll see.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I think we'd miss him. Since the world cup a Lot of posts seem to forget how good he is for us .

Pre world cup he had found consistency and 7 goals in 16 games is testament to that. Often being the best player on the pitch .

He can be a true match winner and I wouldn't want to lose this from the squad. You'd probably have to pay a hell of a lot of money for a like for like replacement.

It would be our loss and someone elses gain.

team Trossard !
How good he can be. He can be a game changer, a match winner on his day, but those days are too few and far between. At the moment I don’t see how he can start ahead of Mitoma or March, the latter of which may not be as exciting, but is far more consistent.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think we'd miss him. Since the world cup a Lot of posts seem to forget how good he is for us .

Pre world cup he had found consistency and 7 goals in 16 games is testament to that. Often being the best player on the pitch .

He can be a true match winner and I wouldn't want to lose this from the squad. You'd probably have to pay a hell of a lot of money for a like for like replacement.

It would be our loss and someone elses gain.

team Trossard !
We'd miss him, but not as much as we might have done a year ago. No disrespect to Leo, but his place in the starting XI is really under threat, with March and Mitoma playing so well, Caicedo and MacA tying up the midfield, then Gross, Lallana, Welbeck, Ferguson, Sarmiento, Enciso -Leo's far from first name on the team sheet these days. Quality player, but then I think many of the comments aren't a criticism of Trossard, they are a compliment to the strength of our options.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Exactly that, if it's true.

He's not really shown any form of late though and I'm sure that's been noticed elsewhere. He wasn't very good at the WC and has had a number of poor games for us. He doesn't appear to be very happy.

Until Mitoma has secured a regular start he was one of the main stays, that's not the case now and makes you wonder if he is one of those players that finds it hard to fight for his place.
I would like Tross to stay, but unlike say this time last year, I would be less unhappy to see him leave, especially with talent coming through.

However to say he has not shown much form of late is very short-termist. He's top scorer this season with 7 in 16 league games.

He was on fire before the world cup.
Since coming back he's played two games as a false nine (not his best position) but the team scored 3 in that game, but struggled against Arsenal, as Partey and co starved our Moises-less midfield of possession.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Im fairly sure we pay more than Ajax and they may have lots in the bank but they don't really spend. Also they are worse than us and out of champions League. They are a mess. Would be a stupid move for tross.
On average, yes Brighton absolutely pay more than Ajax but when they do "marquee" signings, they can give a good salary. Dusan Tadic is a good example of such a deal: sat on a PL wage yet moved back to Ajax. That they are currently worse and out of the CL might not matter much, could change quickly and however shite they turn, they will always have a better chance than Brighton when it comes to winning a title or two.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hasn't looked great since his return. Could want away with the timing of the contract extension we've exercised but this is just speculation of course. We're in a position now where he won't be missed as much as he would have been last season for example.

We want players that want to be here. Can't see him signing a new contract, his agent will want to engineer a move for the pay day. Whether that's this window or in the Summer, we'll see.
His Youtube 'Best Of' showcase will doubtless be stunning, same as they all are 😀

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
18 months left on his contract, not particularly young, bit of a discount for not moving to a rival club... Don't think the club would ask for more than £20-25m at this point, which is rather hefty outside of England but not beyond imaginations. Inter or Milan could probably afford him (and he'd be a starter or close to it in those clubs), some French clubs, maybe Atletico Madrid/Sevilla in Spain... Ajax would probably also be a very likely destination, they have absurd money and sometimes sign classy older Benelux-stars despite their general philosophy to go with the youth.
We’re going to be asking Newcastle for more than £20m-£25m. I’d guess it’s be similar to Bissouma money, perhaps a little closer to £40m including add-ons.*

Having said that, the 18 month ‘development loan’ for Fati Ansu from Barcelona should placate fans.**

* Profound guesswork
** Almost ludicrous levels of hysterical guesswork

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I think hes got himself in to a difficult situation. 29 this year so any transfer will be his last chance to earn big money or play in the Champions League. Very few clubs outside of England pay £20M plus for a player, only the top 2 or 3 clubs from La Liga, Bundesliga or Serie A. China? MLS? Not really a step up in level.
Saudia Arabian clubs pay quite good wages by all accounts!

I think it depends what Tross wants to achieve.

Internationally, he has perhaps 1 or 2 Euros and 1 world cup to aim for.
He could well get more of a starting chance if he went a club with CL qualification, but as others have said he would not be a regular at any Big 6 side in England, not I suspect in any of the other major euro leagues.

IMO someone needs to sit him down and tell him to just enjoy what he has now.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Difficult to think of a club that would pay much money for him? Think he's going to be a bit disappointed about where he ends up if he forces through a move.

Newcastle is the best he could hope for I guess and no doubt would pay him more but he'll be a bit part player, although one with a chance of champions league games.

Don't see us recouping much more than what we paid for him due to age and length of contract, probably 15-20m.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I hope he stays, I‘m sure we’ll have a good replacement lined up if he decides he doesn’t want to play for us anymore though.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I would like Tross to stay, but unlike say this time last year, I would be less unhappy to see him leave, especially with talent coming through.

However to say he has not shown much form of late is very short-termist. He's top scorer this season with 7 in 16 league games.

He was on fire before the world cup.
Since coming back he's played two games as a false nine (not his best position) but the team scored 3 in that game, but struggled against Arsenal, as Partey and co starved our Moises-less midfield of possession.
I'm certainly not saying get rid, the point I was making is something's not right with him currently. He doesn't look happy. However those around him look hungry for success and proving their worth. On his day he's a game changer but also there's currently others doing just that in his favoured roles and consistently. It can all change very quickly as we know.

He has always been very candid about his future when interviewed.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Difficult to think of a club that would pay much money for him? Think he's going to be a bit disappointed about where he ends up if he forces through a move.

Newcastle is the best he could hope for I guess and no doubt would pay him more but he'll be a bit part player, although one with a chance of champions league games.

Don't see us recouping much more than what we paid for him due to age and length of contract, probably 15-20m.
Probably back to Belgium next. Reckon his time in the sun has been and gone :wave:

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I'm certainly not saying get rid, the point I was making is something's not right with him currently. He doesn't look happy. However those around him look hungry for success and proving their worth. On his day he's a game changer but also there's currently others doing just that in his favoured roles and consistently. It can all change very quickly as we know.

He has always been very candid about his future when interviewed.
No, and I suspect being dropped for Everton will either reinforce that or make him fight for his place.
But again as others have said he often has periods of inconsistent performances, usually coinciding with our mid season slumps of the past few seasons. However I do this year it will be different, especially as we have more attacking options now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here