Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

LDC Green Waste, £70 per year charge

• Thread starter Deleted member 22389
  • Start date

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Even if I did believe you , which I do not, you'll normally find its the younger generation that get wound up over these matters, the older generation tend to shrug their shoulders and carry on. If what happens to your Mother's rhubarb leaves vexes you so terribly, take them to the tip for her, or alternatively get her to hide the leaves deeper in the bin bag.

You are missing the point Nibble...questions should be asked why she was throwing away rhubarb leaves..very wasteful ...could have made a nice rhubarb crumble out of them!!!!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
You are missing the point Nibble...questions should be asked why she was throwing away rhubarb leaves..very wasteful ...could have made a nice rhubarb crumble out of them!!!!

Well, no, rhubarb leaves are toxic. Younger folk would probably just get a serious dose of the Eartha's, older folk might be hospitalised. I'd poke them through the neighbours letterbox personally.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Well, no, rhubarb leaves are toxic. Younger folk would probably just get a serious dose of the Eartha's, older folk might be hospitalised. I'd poke them through the neighbours letterbox personally.

Ah good point...maybe she should looking to kill the thing before it grows leaves..or pick them before they get big..as we know younger stems are tastier

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
i see, maybe you're too young to remember when the dustman just took the bin, regardless of what was in it. singular, one bin of course in the old days, no seperating garden waste from household waste, and paper and glass.

No, I remember that well. I remember when a pint cost less than a quid and when you could get a gallon of petrol for the same. I assume you read newspapers, follow info on the web etc. You'll be aware that landfill sites are filling up so instead of everything just being dumped, as much is recycled as possible. Maybe this has passed you by!

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I`d better keep head low...I`m outskirts of Lewes and have Transit type van/lorry with single man and he takes everything and gives me Coucil bin bags.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Before the big bins arrived in Brighton I used to nick the pink council bags from round the back of the shops on the Dials. Great days, they don't come back.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I looked at the LDC website and found that you have to BUY your wheelie bin from them. WTF ?? I knew Lewes was backwards and full of inbreds but really, there is still a council that doesn't provide wheelie bins for the collection of general waste ?
That's mental. I imagine a fair few get stolen, meaning you have no choice but to buy another.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
i see, maybe you're too young to remember when the dustman just took the bin, regardless of what was in it. singular, one bin of course in the old days, no seperating garden waste from household waste, and paper and glass.

Are you suggesting that simply lobbing the millions and millions of tonnes of rubbish that we humans generate annually into a landfill site is in any way a good thing? Or is it that you think somebody else should sort it out for you?

Personally, I can't see the harm in requiring adults to perform the simple task of sorting their rubbish out in order to minimise the future impact on the environment. I live in Mid Sussex: we have two bins, one for general waste and the other for recycling. I'm sure there must be some sort of scheme for garden waste locally, and if I had a garden, I'd quite happily pay for it, as the alternative would be me driving it to the tip.

Who knows, perhaps the binners have been a bit over zealous in this particular case if- as you say- your elderly mother had "only a few leaves" in the bag. Then again, they only see the bin bag, not the person depositing it. I still don't see an issue with paying a small charge for them to collect particular types of waste though, looking at the bigger picture. Don't councils get measured on their waste collection and recycling statistics? They have extremely limited budgets, thanks to our old friend austerity, so they're hardly going to provide an additional service for free.

D

Deleted member 22389

I have to say, I was of the same view as you but then I looked at the LDC website and found that you have to BUY your wheelie bin from them. WTF ?? I knew Lewes was backwards and full of inbreds but really, there is still a council that doesn't provide wheelie bins for the collection of general waste ?

We had to buy our wheelie bin too. It comes back to what I originally say, we do not get value for money from LDC and charging £70.00 quid I feel is far too much. Even the £70.00 they are charging is more expensive than the other councils people have spoken about on here. What's the difference between LDC and the other councils.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
We had to buy our wheelie bin too. It comes back to what I originally say, we do not get value for money from LDC and charging £70.00 quid I feel is far too much. Even the £70.00 they are charging is more expensive than the other councils people have spoken about on here. What's the difference between LDC and the other councils.

Well other than the obvious that they are liars and cads when it comes to planning permission issues, it would appear they would rather their residents just dump black sacks outside their homes. This not only attracts vermin, seagulls and foxes but also makes the collection more difficult. If I were you I'd be speaking to my local councillors to get a council funded wheelie bin service in place. Lewes would appear to be 15 years behind the rest of the country.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head

As said on earlier posts I happily pay £78 pa to Greentopia as it saves messing up my car, driving to the tip, and having to haul the bags up those awful steps to dump in the bins. Maybe it's more appealing as you get older. There are about 20 other users of this service around where I live. Which brings me to question why is Council Taxpayers money being spent on setting up a service when there is a popular, efficient service already running.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Just has a look at the Mid Sussex website and they charge £60 for a fortnightly collection. Unfortunately, they are at capacity so you have to join a waiting list to get the service which can take a year for you to get to the top of the list. Luckily, we are about a mile from the tip so am happy to load up the car every now and then.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Are you suggesting that simply lobbing the millions and millions of tonnes of rubbish that we humans generate annually into a landfill site is in any way a good thing? Or is it that you think somebody else should sort it out for you?

not really at all what im saying. i was highlighting that we didnt always have split rubbish, so the arguement "so what else should be free on the council" doesnt hold much water. they ask us to split our rubbish to start, which i used to think was a bit much, partially because they werent very sensible about it. at one point my Grandma had 5 bins and bags to seperate stuff into. OK its easy enough really to seperate green wast, glass and card/cans/PET from non-foodwaste. to charge for part of the service that was free is a liberty, especially as its the part that they dont need to put into landfill, they can compost, make biofuel or incinerate it. i've never been in a council that charged, so im surprised its common place and accepted. presumably everyone is going to be as sympathetic when they charge for the recylcing bin or the glass collection?

D

Deleted member 22389

Well other than the obvious that they are liars and cads when it comes to planning permission issues, it would appear they would rather their residents just dump black sacks outside their homes. This not only attracts vermin, seagulls and foxes but also makes the collection more difficult. If I were you I'd be speaking to my local councillors to get a council funded wheelie bin service in place. Lewes would appear to be 15 years behind the rest of the country.

The whole thing needs to looked at.

Paper has to go in black box
Tins, Plastic bottles go in another black box
Cardboard goes in a sack
Glass goes in another sack

It all gets picked up by a long bed milk float

I'm sure they would recycle a lot more and would be far more cost effective if they provided proper wheelie bins and allowed things like paper and cardboard to be put in the same bin.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
not really at all what im saying. i was highlighting that we didnt always have split rubbish, so the arguement "so what else should be free on the council" doesnt hold much water. they ask us to split our rubbish to start, which i used to think was a bit much, partially because they werent very sensible about it. at one point my Grandma had 5 bins and bags to seperate stuff into. OK its easy enough really to seperate green wast, glass and card/cans/PET from non-foodwaste. to charge for part of the service that was free is a liberty, especially as its the part that they dont need to put into landfill, they can compost, make biofuel or incinerate it. i've never been in a council that charged, so im surprised its common place and accepted. presumably everyone is going to be as sympathetic when they charge for the recylcing bin or the glass collection?

You do realize it has never been free? Council tax and, before that, domestic rates, went towards the cost of council services.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

But they won't - they are charged money ( quite a lot of money ) for landfill per tonne. Recycling reduces that bill a lot. EVERYONE has something they can recycle - tins, glass, paper, cardboard etc. Not everyone has a reasonable amount of green waste - generally only those with gardens. The idea that the council could make money by composting green waste, or even break even, is a false one. I've seen the figures - it just isn't possible. It takes too much time and space to create compost to make it value for the taxpayer.

Now if I still lived in a flat I'd object to paying more council tax so those with gardens can get a green waste collection - I'm sure you would surely ?

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
But they won't - they are charged money ( quite a lot of money ) for landfill per tonne.

wont what, be sympathetic or be charged? seems to me once its acceptable to charge for green waste, bottles or rest recycling will look like fair game. i understand the cost issues for the council but green waste doesnt need to go to landfill, if they are sending it there that is a travesty of the whole recycling opertion. even if as you say it cost more to compost that economical, it must shirley be a net saving than dump to landfill. (be interested on the numbers, i thought they were supposed to use green waste in biofuel)

as for flat dwellers paying, now you are entering in to the whole question of what services people do or dont use and should they pay for them. what about the teetotaler who doesnt discard a couple dozen bottles a month?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
wont what, be sympathetic or be charged? seems to me once its acceptable to charge for green waste, bottles or rest recycling will look like fair game. i understand the cost issues for the council but green waste doesnt need to go to landfill, if they are sending it there that is a travesty of the whole recycling opertion. even if as you say it cost more to compost that economical, it must shirley be a net saving than dump to landfill. (be interested on the numbers, i thought they were supposed to use green waste in biofuel)

as for flat dwellers paying, now you are entering in to the whole question of what services people do or dont use and should they pay for them. what about the teetotaler who doesnt discard a couple dozen bottles a month?

Garden waste isn't pure enough for bio-fuel - the only thing they can do with it is chip it or compost it.

So you're telling me a teetotal person doesn't recycle cardboard, plastic water bottles and milk cartons, fizzy drinks cans, food tins or even glass that didn't contain booze ? Your argument is all over the place. A small minority of people need green waste collecting and thus they should pay for it not the general tax payer.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

http://www.midsussex.gov.uk/media/Garden_Waste_QA_2013.pdf

Here's what happens to green waste in Mid Sussex.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Your argument is all over the place. A small minority of people need green waste collecting and thus they should pay for it not the general tax payer.

i think you're just being obtuse - why combine bottles with the rest of the recycling? the council dont. the majority of people in towns and country would probably have green waste. when i think that farmers grow grass, with the cost of seeding, fertilser and cutting, i'm finding it very odd that apparently we dump grass to landfill, and pay for the privilege. if find it even more odd that this appears to be accepted. i'll save my ire for if my council try to charge me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here