Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

LDC Green Waste, £70 per year charge

• Thread starter Deleted member 22389
  • Start date

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Here, green waste is collected fortnightly and charged through council tax (it is not free but no extra charge - yet).
Other recyclables is collected weekly (cans,plastics, paper, glass etc).
Other waste is collected fortnightly - alternates with green waste.

Move North - you know it makes sense. :smile:

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Wealden, brown bin collected every 2 weeks NO CHARGE.
If they did charge I would take the collecting bin of the mower and let the wind do the rest...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
i assume this is supposed to be a joke, sarcastic post? refuse collection is the most core services councils provide.

I assume this to be an ignorant post. Refuse collection is a core service and, as far as I'm aware, all councils perform this. As far as I'm aware, they also collect green waste but most charge a separate fee.

Are you from the Eric Pickles school of ludicrous statements?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Bloody spot on thats what you pay your C/Tax for. What next empty your recycling bin becomes another charge ? How about charging you for street lighting ? Want a Lollipop near the school,let the parents pay the options are endless.

Clever post. Perhaps you can list everything you think your council tax should be paying for?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I assume this to be an ignorant post. Refuse collection is a core service and, as far as I'm aware, all councils perform this. As far as I'm aware, they also collect green waste but most charge a separate fee.

i see, maybe you're too young to remember when the dustman just took the bin, regardless of what was in it. singular, one bin of course in the old days, no seperating garden waste from household waste, and paper and glass.

-gully-

The Flux Capacitor
Nov 7, 2009
Shrewsbury
Better value if you live on an illegal travellers site. They just dump everything and drive off. No separating rubbish for those guys. No charges either..... Or council tax or fines. When the clear up team turns up they take everything no questions asked. Must be able to afford top of the range caravans from the cash they save.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
You do have to wonder what goes through the mind of some councils....why pay £70 when you can dump your grass etc elsewhere or hide it in with the general waste.

If you want to go green then you shouldn't price people out....ridiculous

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
i see, maybe you're too young to remember when the dustman just took the bin, regardless of what was in it. singular, one bin of course in the old days, no seperating garden waste from household waste, and paper and glass.

You mean the good old days when we just buried everything and contaminated the ground we did it on ? Who gives a shite about recycling, highly overrated.

Wealden set up works fine after some serious glitches when it started. Brown bin for garden waste, bin each for recyclables and other waste. Our recyling bin is normally full to the brim, the "other waste" struggles to be 1/4 full.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
You do have to wonder what goes through the mind of some councils....why pay £70 when you can dump your grass etc elsewhere or hide it in with the general waste.

If you want to go green then you shouldn't price people out....ridiculous

Just out of interest, do you have a garden ?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I have been on to the council about why they will not collect Green Waste. For the money we pay every month in council tax this should be provided free of charge, like it does under other councils.
I was told that they where running a trial in Seaford which I thought was a good start. What I wasn't told is that there is going to be a charge of £70.00 a year for this service.

http://www.lewes.gov.uk/waste/22841.asp

The reason I bought this up is because my mum put a few rhubarb leaves in her rubbish bag. The dustmen ripped her bag open and refused to take it. My mum is 80 years old, doesn't drive and the nearest tip is 3 miles away.

No surprise the trial run is in Seaford, the recycling centre ( tip ) is now only open from Friday to Sunday.
Many Seaford residents love their gardening, and as the roads in Newhaven are clogged up most of the day, I'm sure plenty of people will pay for this service rather than driving to Newhaven tip.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
They ripped your Mums bin bag open and left it for 3 rhubarb leaves?

Bullshit.

D

Deleted member 22389

Bullshit.

Yes they did otherwise I wouldn't have started the thread. It's shit for old age pensioners. If they don't have the money to pay for Green Waste disposal and don't have transport to get to the dump, how are they meant to get rid of it.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Yes they did otherwise I wouldn't have started the thread. It's shit for old age pensioners. If they don't have the money to pay for Green Waste disposal and don't have transport to get to the dump, how are they meant to get rid of it.

Composting ?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
There already is a Green collection service for the Lewes LDC area. It's privately operated and costs £78 a year. They collect all year round unlike the trial £70 a year Lewes DC scheme which will not collect in November, December, and January. I use it and it's very good and saves me from having to go the tip.

Here's the link: http://www.greentopiasussex.com

When my dad started to find it difficult to drive down to Hove to dispose of his garden follage, he took this out and they have been very efficient and reliable.

I live central and have no garden, I always assumed you just had to drive it somewhere, burn it or compost it.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
But surely ripping open each and every bin bag and checking through them for rhubarb leaves show that the dustmen take pride in their work and want to do the job to the best of their ability given the directions they are given ???

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

Even if I did believe you , which I do not, you'll normally find its the younger generation that get wound up over these matters, the older generation tend to shrug their shoulders and carry on. If what happens to your Mother's rhubarb leaves vexes you so terribly, take them to the tip for her, or alternatively get her to hide the leaves deeper in the bin bag.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

Bullshit.

I have to say, I was of the same view as you but then I looked at the LDC website and found that you have to BUY your wheelie bin from them. WTF ?? I knew Lewes was backwards and full of inbreds but really, there is still a council that doesn't provide wheelie bins for the collection of general waste ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
or alternatively get her to hide the leaves deeper in the bin bag.

Great idea, let's see if they are really as good at their job as they think they are. We could have a poll as to how many layers it takes to beat them :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here