Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

LDC Green Waste, £70 per year charge

• Thread starter Deleted member 22389
  • Start date

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Our council has recently introduced a £30 annual charge to take away green waste. It couldn't be included in the council tax as the maximum increase of 1.99% meant making additional cuts to services elsewhere as the budget has been reduced year on year.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm sure the tip in Lewes takes small amounts of green waste which they compost and turn into soil improver which is sold on site.

Must admit that our dustmen are bloody superb and will take pretty much anything (not forgetting that they're also clean and tidy, efficient and quiet)

The recycling centre in Newhaven has a garden waste skip, which they use for compost. The compost is sold so they make money from it.

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
Well, you are very lucky then [MENTION=12195]skipper734[/MENTION] we just have no spare space for a THIRD wheelie bin.

We have had 3 wheelie bins in Horsham for several years now, 1 small bin for garbage collected weekly, and 2 large bins for recycling and garden waste collected fortnightly.

D

Deleted member 22389

It seems everyone here gets wheelie bins apart from LDC. Who decided it was a good idea to recycle using these plastic boxes. Not only do the lids get blown down the street, they also fill up water so all the paper gets soaked. Our recycling boxes are collected by a long bed milk float.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Can I claim the lead with 4 wheelie bins, 1 slim household, 2 large recycling (f/n) and 1 large 'green' while I fill every week and at £1 a week is a bargain as sometimes it weighs 50/100lbs

D

Deleted member 22389

Can I claim the lead with 4 wheelie bins, 1 slim household, 2 large recycling (f/n) and 1 large 'green' while I fill every week and at £1 a week is a bargain as sometimes it weighs 50/100lbs

4 bloody wheelie bins. I bet they are different colours as well?

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
3 wheelie bins & a plastic container for glass. No charge.

Black bin for household refuse. Collected weekly.
Brown bin for garden refuse. Collected every other week.
Green bin for recycling. Collected every other week along with the glass container.

Great service.

D

Deleted member 22389

Green bin for recycling. Collected every other week along with the glass container.

Great service.

This is exactly what LDC should be doing.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Great service.

If you have the full set here, you have FIVE:

1. Large Wheelie bin for general waste (collected fortnightly)
2. Large wheelie bin for recycling (collected fortnightly)
3. Large wheelie bin for garden waste (collected weekly - chargeable)
4. Plastic bin for bottles (collected monthly)
5. Plastic bin for food waste (collected weekly)

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
We pay £ 25 for a fortnightly green waste collection, East Lindsey Dc brought in the charges 3 yrs ago. You could always split the cost with neighbours as £70 seems a bit excessive.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Great service.
Are you in Eastbourne? That's the setup here.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
MSDC have a waiting list for this service which I am on.
it will save driving to Burgess Hill to tip it for free which would cost me petrol and time and mess in my car. So I think the service is well worth it.. Also MSDC are over 50% recycling and working hard to increase this target.
Let's all help to save the 🌍

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
think about this, if they started to charge me for grass cuttings, i'd consider either dumping it by the road or paving the garden. it beggers belief that this charging practice is going on and apparently being accepted.

shirley there's a business opportunity to collect for free, for use as silage or biofuel?

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
There already is a Green collection service for the Lewes LDC area. It's privately operated and costs £78 a year. They collect all year round unlike the trial £70 a year Lewes DC scheme which will not collect in November, December, and January. I use it and it's very good and saves me from having to go the tip.

Here's the link: http://www.greentopiasussex.com

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
It costs £62 per year in Worthing, so I think the number of councils providing this service from the council tax is very small.

Worthing and Adur are indeed £62.00 per year for a large garden waste binn which is collected ( I seem to remember ) 48 times during the year so it is, as far as I am concerned, excellent value for money as avoids getting messy garden waste in car.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It costs £62 per year in Worthing, so I think the number of councils providing this service from the council tax is very small.

Exactly - you get a nice green wheelie bin. the alternative is to have to buy green waste paper bags to use, but they're not very big, and I'd imagine wouldn't hold up too well on a rainy day.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
think about this, if they started to charge me for grass cuttings, i'd consider either dumping it by the road or paving the garden. it beggers belief that this charging practice is going on and apparently being accepted.

shirley there's a business opportunity to collect for free, for use as silage or biofuel?

Bloody spot on thats what you pay your C/Tax for. What next empty your recycling bin becomes another charge ? How about charging you for street lighting ? Want a Lollipop near the school,let the parents pay the options are endless.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
my mum put a few rhubarb leaves in her rubbish bag. The dustmen ripped her bag open and refused to take it. My mum is 80 years old, doesn't drive and the nearest tip is 3 miles away.

Has she got back yet?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I have been on to the council about why they will not collect Green Waste. For the money we pay every month in council tax this should be provided free of charge, like it does under other councils.
I was told that they where running a trial in Seaford which I thought was a good start. What I wasn't told is that there is going to be a charge of £70.00 a year for this service.

http://www.lewes.gov.uk/waste/22841.asp

The reason I bought this up is because my mum put a few rhubarb leaves in her rubbish bag. The dustmen ripped her bag open and refused to take it. My mum is 80 years old, doesn't drive and the nearest tip is 3 miles away.
Rhubarb

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here