Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lawro, don't you just hate him?

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Didn’t see the programme but maybe, just maybe, he is, like me and not daring to hope yet?
Nah! Much easier to slag off one my favourite players.
Do we have to take offence at every imagined slight?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
This 'moment' is currently 4 months old. And it's still going.

When has a third of a year ever been accurately described as a 'moment'?

The Legend that IS Lawro

It's 'canard' Del
May 8, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think his comments may be simply tempered observation. Hopefully, come May, we can re-visit this and point out that his reserved optimism should have been more positive and that he should have placed more faith in us.

His laid back and sometimes sarcastic approach does not always work, but as with many pundits out there at present we are being under-estimated and let's hope there is a lot of egg on face come next summer.

I enjoy being under the radar.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Short memories some people. Not only the best player to have played for us since Charlie Web in that he actually has won something and was good with us but he also came down to speak up for us on a TV debate about the Albion after Archer had sold the Goldstone. Short short memories.
Very much this. Aside from his brilliance as a player, he has actually proved time and time again that he still has fond memories and a soft spot for this club even if his heart isn't truly here. So he's cynical about us staying at the top? So what? He's hardly alone is he? Every five minutes another thread pops up on here pointing out that Middlesbrough, Derby and other fans are all saying we will fall away.

Lawrenson is merely guilty of being a lazy pundit really, nothing more.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
A truly world class player. He would be in everyone's Albion XI wouldn't he?

I think he does care about the Albion, but he's a northerner and it's hard to get passionate about a place you were only in for 4 years of you life.

When it matters he'll support us, until then, he's just like any other observer. We're like Leicester. Nobody truly believes we'll both go on to top our leagues.

Let's just get on with what we have to do.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Great player for us, but he does rather over do the 'moany old northern git bit'.
Comes across as though he's an unhappy person; probably about everything in his life.

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
If he's not moaning he's making a dull smartarsed quip about something. Don't like him as a pundit at all.

Totally agree. Great player (and might well be a decent bloke) but as a pundit comes across as tired, seen-it-all and full of limp gags. Let's himself down pretty much every time. Early retirement recommended.

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
The disappointing thing about what he said was that he made it obvious that he thought we have no chance of staying at the top of the table when given an opportunity to be complementary about his old team. He is a pundit and maybe that is what he thinks. However, with ten seconds left in the programme, he was set up by Joey Barton to say something nice. "Yes Joey, my old team, Brighton, let's hope they can keep the good form up ", or something like that. He could also have said nothing, but he had to make it clear that he thought our good form was temporary.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Well if I were one of the squad, these kind of 'clever' comments are all I'd need to motivate myself. Master stroke on behalf of Lawro, he's one of us and he knows, being an x player, that his comment on this occasion will surely help rather than hinder.

Kosh

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The BBC are terrible.

Hopefully won't have any sport shortly.

Whilst not perfect Talksport/sky/BT are far better.

The Salford **** fest on Friday made me turn the game off.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Didn’t see the programme but maybe, just maybe, he is, like me and not daring to hope yet?
Nah! Much easier to slag off one my favourite players.
Do we have to take offence at every imagined slight?

I'm surprised you even have to ask. This is NSC, after all.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I've never been a fan of Lawrenson as a pundit/commentator.

Doesn't like anything. Doesn't understand the modern world either. He described people that voted online for England's player of the year as 'geeks' and, after viewers had been invited to tweet about a game, said "If you're sad enough, you can."

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
In a room with Barry Chuckle, Stephen Hawking and Lawro, He'd be the the unfunniest person by a country mile. The only way I'd find one of his quips amusing is if I was under the influence of laughing gas.

Quite how he is still employed as a pundit I will never know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here