[TV] Largely Forgotten TV Personalities of the 60s, 70s and 80s

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Maggie Philbin, Howard Stableford....er....I think the other woman was called Carole, and...some other bloke.

p076701y.jpg

Judith Hann and I think the other man is Peter McCann.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Wasn't Phillippa Forrester on TW at some stage too? I remember her as a kids TV presenter whom (it seemed) most of the boys in my class had a crush on.

Another 80s name from the archives: Simon Groom. Can't help wondering if you'd get a job on kids' TV now if your name was Groom.

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
Stilgoe once lived on a houseboat in Newhaven between ring road and Denton Island. I was told it's now the rusty sunk hulk you can see from the road but I don't know if that's true.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
jbravo-st01.jpg

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Wanda Ventham, serious crush on her and was in so many TV series and films, and is the mother of Benedict Cumberbatch.

I had a HUGE crush on Wanda - her name alone is enough. Remember her in a program with Del Henney who played a crocked rugby player called Fallen Hero.

She was also born and grew up in Brighton. She worked at the Connaught Theatre, Worthing as a scene painter before becoming an actress.

Later played Cassandra's mother in Only Fools and Horses.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Wasn't Phillippa Forrester on TW at some stage too? I remember her as a kids TV presenter whom (it seemed) most of the boys in my class had a crush on..

Yes she was on TW then later into Nature programmes with her partner. Recall great programmes from their home in the Cotswolds(?). Her man now works as a wildlife camera presenter for National Geographic and they live in Wyoming.

OIP.jpg

Last edited:

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Everyone I know with the slightest of interest in food prog's, always enthuses about Keith Floyd as the best. He oozed charisma, so many stories to tell, even the boozing part of the act.

Those who worked with him on his short lived stint on LWT’s On Television series (following Clive James) don’t have much good to say about him. He was a bitter, snarling drunk who alienated the crew and sometimes the studio audience,

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Those who worked with him on his short lived stint on LWT’s On Television series (following Clive James) don’t have much good to say about him. He was a bitter, snarling drunk who alienated the crew and sometimes the studio audience,

I don't know if that is true but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.
I do know that he was difficult and really liked the wine.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Quite common in show business. I know people who've worked with celebs, who said some were consistently nasty and bullying away from the camera.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
She was also born and grew up in Brighton. She worked at the Connaught Theatre, Worthing as a scene painter before becoming an actress.

Later played Cassandra's mother in Only Fools and Horses.

Was also in that drama just been on TV...you know the one with the psycho bloke who moves in to a household and seduces the mum..oh what was it called...Neil Morrisey was in it and she played his mum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports