Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lance Armstrong ends fight against doping charges

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One of the many highlights for me:-

We look the other way as the NBA keeps its own little Santa Claus streak going: Of all the running-and-jumping sports that feature world-class athletes competing at the highest level, only the NBA hasn't had a single star get nailed for performance enhancers … you know, because there's no way hundreds of overcompetitive stars with massive egos would ever cheat to gain an edge with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake....

NBA players get tested up to four times during the course of a season. The fourth time can happen at any point from October to June, but once it happens, that's it. So if your fourth test occurs after your 71st game, you're clear the rest of the way. It's a running joke within NBA circles, something of a get-out-of-jail-free card: Once you pee in that fourth cup, you're good to go. Put whatever you want into your body. Feel like smoking enough weed to make Harold and Kumar blush? Knock yourself out. Feel like replacing your blood with cleaner blood so you have more endurance for the playoffs? Knock yourself out. Feel like starting a testosterone cycle because you might have to play 25 grueling playoff games over the next 10 weeks? Knock yourself out. Remember how competitive these guys are. What would they do for an edge? How far would they go? And why are we giving them the choice?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe there's more to Fuentes than a show trial.

The former president of Real Sociedad suspects that Fuentes was involved in doping his team for six years

Translated from Spanish:-

Do you belong RSOC abbreviation papers appeared in Eufemiano Fuentes to The Royal Society (Real Sociedad)?

(Iñaki Badiola, San Sebastian, 48, was president of the Royal from 4 January to 20 December 2008. Already in his day he perceived irregularities uncovered within your institution).

That seems to indicate, but it should be Eufemiano himself confirmed it in the trial that is taking place now on Operation Puerto. What is certain is that in 2008 our board publicly denounced the doctors Eduardo Escobar and Antxon Gorrotxategi because in the six seasons before us (with José Luis Astiazaran president between 2001 and 2005, Miguel Fuentes, between 2005 and 2007, Mary de la Peña, in 2007, and Juan Larzábal, 2007-2008), at least they gave directives B payments for medicines or products at that time were classified as doping, so the black money acquired in markets hidden. Sources can be perfectly Eufemiano their supplier. We find that the numbers of the documents in our possession agree with Fuentes, for several reasons: first, because it is what should be done, and then, because we warned in 2008. Thus it would be found that already denounced.

(Badiola says that manages two files on which it bases its allegations: one, showing payments for substances B, another a Gorrotxategi mail which asks permission to purchase these products).

Why anyone in 2008 echoed his words?

Because there was an ongoing case as exists now against several defendants, even a little bluff, since the maximum penalty that can receive these people is two years in prison, they will never meet, or so many years disqualification. We arrived late and wrong, other than that there was very little interest from the administration on these issues. Now that you have had media coverage, things are easier to cover them. That is the main difference.

So Gorrotxategi bought Escobar and banned?

They acquired substances which were not authorized, in cash B, which gave them the previous Councils club, and I understand that it was not Betadine, because if not, they would not have bought in hidden markets. In fact, there is an email that I sent one of the doctors saying some of the products they wanted to buy, and we did not authorize.

What would be the role of sources in this plot?

He will facilitate these products, but we have to compare the amounts that appear in the papers with the Operation Puerto disposal. Was a pity that at the hearing, where Eufemiano wanted to get the name of all its customers, the judge did not agree to it. Those who commit the offense here are the doctors of that time, as no club Real Sociedad in practices that should never have taken place.

How doctors acted against these two?

I got them in an ERE, and finally left the Royal Society. Les relevé of all its functions, and named Juan Manuel Gonzalez de Suso, who is still on the payroll, is a very effective and ethical beyond doubt. They bounced a lot because we let them out, and I appeal to you to not appear in the official team photo.

Jose Luis Astiazaran was president in an early part of that period and then take care of the professional league, Could influence that complaints not succeed?

Sure, because Astiazarán led the club in the early years when we conducted the audit from Ernst & Young where irregularities appreciate, in 2002, 2003 and 2004. In my years, 2008 and 2009, there were no strange medical practices.

When did these unlawful practices in the Real?

We did an audit of the previous six years, and so we find in the B accounts It was very easy to get registered and question all those involved, who argued that the products were banned and eventually would be allowed, but were forbidden. We do not know if they are the same substances that supplied them Eufemiano Fuentes, but we do know that during these campaigns preceding our arrival was bought with drug money black in those times were not authorized.

If the Royal resorted to practices prohibited and any of its players tested positive, what does that say about the controls in football?

He says the system is poorly regulated, there is a failure, or that doping is way ahead, with doctors who can cover it up perfectly, as can be the case Eufemiano. Besides, they have only been urine test without seeking EPO, denotes quite neglect and unwillingness to clean up this sport.

The fact that the Royal Society was league runner-up in 2002/2003 and then descend to Second, do you think that has to do with the use of these substances?

I do not know, because I'm not a doctor or was then in front of the club, so I can not guarantee. We also have a template affects short time playing the Champions League. From what I'm certainly are aware of the practices that were carried out and the mail I sent Gorrotxategi. We do not go against the players, nor do we know if all were subjected to such practices. No names were mentioned, our investigation was directed against physicians. I'm not against the institution, because I've been president for two seasons, and fan and lover all my life, until we pay money to the Real to try to climb. Another thing is that employees practiced the Outlaw.

The doping in football seems to be released already in Operation Puerto. Are you as corrupt as other sports?

I am a practitioner of marathons and triathlons, and I think in football may not be as necessary as, for example, in cycling, where I can not be convinced that people are able to climb the Tourmalet, at 220 kilometers, with four ports, eat spaghetti, and the next day up the Alpe d'Huez. That's impossible. In the case of football not think it's necessary contribution of banned so great, but with so much competition, involving money, etc., means that the temptation is high to get the most out of an athlete, in this case a footballer . The only case I've seen is the Real, however, would not be surprising to many.

Returning with Astiazarán. If he runs the LFP, does that mean that interested unless contentious issues see the light?

The fact is clear. In any normal country, in the United States, for example, if Astiazarán was found guilty and also with existing evidence, that a team was subjected to prohibited practices, should be immediately disqualified from office, as Escobar and Gorrotxategi of medicine (both have private consultations at the Polyclinic Guipúzcoa). What happens is that in Spain things are moving slowly, or not go. I do believe that Astiazarán not the best person to manage the LFP.

In 2008 also uncovered that bought Malaga to Tenerife in the last game of the season, Amano confirmed that Jesuli, and prevented the ascendancy of the Real.

So, although he entered the shakes Jesuli. Precisely where we are (in the rooftop lounge of his house, overlooking La Concha, where is the interview) recorded the conversation, with his consent, but then receive threats or pressure and tried to backtrack. Obviously there was a recording and backed by the ambient pressure. It was a sad episode.

Why did not prosper in the Office?

It led to the prosecution, although the Spanish Federation was not interested in the slightest issue. Filed and lost all the recordings, so we asked for the second time. That indicates laziness and had little desire to put the nail on the head. I will always remember when I went to see Angel Maria Villar, going to report the matter, he said: 'Iñaki, no one has dared to get into these issues, I do not know anything about these allegations'. He did not want to hear the recordings we had a FIFA agent in which it was purchased is to rig two games, the opponent will stop losing against Malaga.

Is there corruption in Spanish football and intrigues?

As far as I'm concerned, not only the time, but for the industry itself to try, I think so therefore money is at stake. It's bread and circuses for society, and we have not improved at all over the Roman circus. Before there was the circus and now football. It's hard to trust that there is more corruption.

With the complaint of doping and match-fixing meetings, would you move something outside, as he says, to defend the interests of the Royal Society?

Here we find two important things. When you come to a club president, as in any society, I have one company, if after six months no complaints the irregularities, eventually you eat them you and you are the responsible for them. Whereupon, the first thing is not saddled with the mistakes that we have not committed, especially when it has not been mentioned by previous leaders, we had meetings with before entering. And the second is to defend the institution. If we believe harmful employees were performing prohibited practices, obviously neither shared nor watched in our project, we wanted to eradicate these procedures.

What impact may have to corroborate his words Eufemiano or evidence which assures availability?

Fuentes is important that you do, as we do not tease, like the other day, who said that RSOC sounded like a good wine. It is essential that the judge wants to meddle. Just to clarify the issues as soon as possible. For Real not think it means much, but it could disqualify people who were involved in the case.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Not pretty reading for our Spanish Legends

Valencia and Barça deny COPE doping claims | In English | EL PAS

FC Barcelona and Valencia CF responded vigorously on Monday to accusations broadcast on a Spanish radio station on Sunday night that both clubs are or have been linked to doping.In a program broadcast on the Cope radio network, presenter Juan Antonio Alcalá asserted that Real Madrid president Florentino Pérez was preparing a dual petition to the national soccer federation, of which Pérez is a board member, seeking an improvement in refereeing standards and tougher anti-doping controls. In the broadcast, it was stated that Real Madrid questioned the presence of Eufemiano Fuentes, a sports medic at the center of both the Operation Puerto and Operation Greyhound doping scandals engulfing Spanish sport, at Valencia during its two title-winning seasons in 2002 and 2004. It also stated that Real "does not understand" why medical staff of "doubtful repute" are currently working at Barcelona. According to the broadcast, Real considers current doping controls "a joke."
"Valencia Football Club wishes to express its indignation at the information released by the Cope radio network and which has been reproduced by different media. In respect of the same, the club wishes to express that Valencia FC has never worked with, been assessed by nor advised directly or indirectly by Mr Eufemiano Fuentes. Any affirmation to the contrary constitutes a serious lack of veracity on the part of the media that sustains this information."
Fuentes, who was recently in court to testify in the Greyhound scandal surrounding a doping network in Spanish track and field, allegedly stated: "If I talk, Spain will not have the European Championship or the World Cup." Fuentes later made a written statement denying that he had uttered those words.
Whether or not the allegations are mischief-making on the part of the radio network, they are serious enough that the secretary of state for sport, Jaime Lissavetzky, leapt to the defense of the country's most popular and profitable pastime. Lissavetzky also flatly denied reports that Real Madrid had called on Spanish authorities to start taking doping in soccer "seriously": "Nothing has reached [the government] and we are not aware of this topic," Lissavetzky stated at an event organized by the Real Madrid Foundation and the Superior Sports Council, at which Pérez was also present.
"No complaint has reached me and neither should it reach me. There are a series of controls that follow guidelines set out by Fifa and Uefa. There are surprise controls in Spanish soccer and you see them very often. Barcelona has already won a court case against information published by a newspaper, Le Monde. Spanish soccer is clean," the government sports supremo added.
The last case of doping in the Spanish top division concerned Athletic Bilbao player Carlos Gurpegi, who was handed a two-year ban by the Sports Disciplinary Committee in November, 2003. Gurpegi returned a positive test for 19-norandrosterone, a derivative of the banned steroid nandrolone. Both the player and Athletic maintained that the substance had been produced naturally during physical exercise.
Barcelona also posted a fierce rebuttal of the allegations on its club website: "FC Barcelona wishes to publicly express its total indignation at these unfounded references that link the club to doping practices and to condemn such attitudes, which have nothing to do with fair play and gravely affect the image of sporting competition. FC Barcelona is demanding an immediate rectification and wishes to let it be known that its legal department is studying possible action to defend the club's honor, alongside that of its coaching staff, players and medical staff and is prepared to take such action to its final consequences."

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Since Lance/Oprah we've collected 15 'drugs in sport' news stories.

Tennis, football, gridiron, cycling.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And that's without hunting them out in any great depth.
I'm kind of kicking myself for being unable to conceive an original thought!

Loving Bill Simmons 'pee in a cup.com' comments.
Setting up a website putting together all the proper FACTS allowing people to make up their minds from a position of knowledge.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have still not seen anywhere, what his wealth is, I fear the law suits if settled quickly will still leave him with incredible riches for all of his lies, bullying and deception.
Not necessarily.

It was widely reported and believed in The US, Lance recently took out his third mortgage on his Austin home.

- - - Updated - - -

think you can add Aussie rules and rugby league?
BBC News - Australian sport rocked by doping inquiry
I also forgot to add baseball in my original summing up.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Cristiano Ronaldo: There is no doping in football - Goal.com
The Real Madrid attacker does not believe that soccer has a problem with drugs, and insisted that he has not fallen out with coach with Jose Mourinho.

Real Madrid attacker Cristiano Ronaldo is confident that there's no doping in soccer as he feels performance-enhancing products will not make the difference in a team game.

Former Real Sociedad president Inaki Badiola claimed earlier this week that the Basque side bought banned substances during a six-year period between 2001 and 2007. However, the club has since moved to deny the allegations, and Ronaldo, too, feels that there is no room for doping in the sport.

"It's a very delicate situation, but I don't think there is doping in football," Cristiano Ronaldo was quoted as saying by AS. "It's a collective sport and I don't think it's necessary to resort to doping to improve your performances. But I can't swear that no-one has done it.

"Is football a clean sport? Yes, 100 percent. I don't think these types of things exist."

The attacker had a heated discussion with head coach Jose Mourinho after the match against Valencia earlier this season, but Ronaldo has insisted that his relationship with his boss is fine.

"These kinds of things are personal. Everything's been settled and is fine again. What happens in the dressing room should stay in the dressing room."
Interesting contradiction.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

Good on Wegner

“Honestly, I don’t think we do enough. It is very difficult for me to believe that you have 740 players in the World Cup and you come out with zero problems. Look at psychological tests that have been done on people who are at the top in all sports.
"When they ask them if they would take a product that would guarantee them a gold medal or a world championship, but mean that they died in the next five years, 50 per cent say ‘yes’. If you go to amateur level and do that test, only two per cent say they would take it.
“That is quite scary. That is how far people are ready to go to win in all sports. We are at the level where people are ready to do anything to win.”

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Should Trek, Nike etc pay back Lance the margin he earned them? Not hearing much on that one.

The fact that most of his earnings came via those sponsorship deals (race winnings are often shared with teams) I think both of these parties are keeping quiet about it all. The fact that Trek bikes were involved in Lances campaign against his critics is shocking, perhaps their may be ramifications yet..

Walsh on LeMond: Enduring the vengeance of Armstrong

quote -

Armstrong’s influence led to his bike sponsor, Trek, dropping its support of the LeMond brand it had licensed for 13 years from the three-time Tour winner.

In 2008, Trek president John Burke told the trade magazine Bicycle Retailer and Industry News, “Had all the stars aligned with Lance and Greg, if [LeMond] had kept a positive relationship, [the LeMond brand] would have ended up a $30 [million] to $35 million brand.”

Instead, it wound up a memory.

“Armstrong could exercise unbelievable influence if he wanted to — to damage your business interests, or destroy your character,” Walsh said. “He was a formidable and very dangerous enemy, Lance, and he didn’t mind using his power to destroy other people.”

Scary stuff

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here