Lance Armstrong ends fight against doping charges

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Skier

Webber doesn't hold back.

Drug testing in Formula 1

Andrew Benson
Chief F1 writer
Formula 1's governing body the FIA is signed up to a drug-testing regime which is committed to the guidelines of the World Anti-Doping Association (Wada). Drivers are tested for illegal doping practices both out of competition and at grands prix - although tests, for which competitors are selected at random, do not happen at every race and not every driver is tested when they do.

Out-of-competition tests follow the same procedure as in all other Wada-linked sports. Drivers have to make the authorities aware of their whereabouts and the testers can turn up at any time with no prior warning.

For several years now, leading drivers have been tested out of competition a few times a year.

Driving an F1 car is a highly physical activity in a hostile environment involving high G-forces, stress and high temperatures for which drivers need to be exceptionally fit. Several doping practices could potentially improve athletes' performances.

Among these would be saline infusions for pre- and post-race hydration; plasma regulators for thermoregulation and certain stimulants for alertness and reaction time.

Although muscle bulk is not a requirement - lean, fast-reacting muscles are more effective - steroids and cortisone could be helpful in accelerating muscle and bone repair in the event of an injury.

Some steroids can also promote aggression and fearlessness, which could improve performance.

Was there not a British Skier, maybe Baxter? that tested positive for Metamphetamines in the winter olympics, if I remember correctly went down the hill like a madman, got bronze but had it stripped. AS Lance said, 'I regarded it as a level playing field'. I remember playing rugby and looking at the England players Fran Cotton springs to mind. Compare his equivalent of today, no comparison. As is sports pyshocholgy, nutrition and physyotherapy so is the taking of substances part of sport. The wealthier the sport, the less likely you are to get caught, tennis, football, NFL, F1, whereas those who don't receive the most are in the firing line, cycling, athletics, weightlifting, badminton etc.

Fuentes would have worked for his paymasters, top cyclists, tennis players, boxers, footballers etc and is there a coincidence that over the past decade we have seen an emergence of Spanish endurance athletes, marathon, athletics, triathlon?

One thing is for sure Vicentes not had any!!!!

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Was there not a British Skier, maybe Baxter? that tested positive for Metamphetamines in the winter olympics, if I remember correctly went down the hill like a madman, got bronze but had it stripped. AS Lance said, 'I regarded it as a level playing field'. I remember playing rugby and looking at the England players Fran Cotton springs to mind. Compare his equivalent of today, no comparison. As is sports pyshocholgy, nutrition and physyotherapy so is the taking of substances part of sport. The wealthier the sport, the less likely you are to get caught, tennis, football, NFL, F1, whereas those who don't receive the most are in the firing line, cycling, athletics, weightlifting, badminton etc.

Fuentes would have worked for his paymasters, top cyclists, tennis players, boxers, footballers etc and is there a coincidence that over the past decade we have seen an emergence of Spanish endurance athletes, marathon, athletics, triathlon?

One thing is for sure Vicentes not had any!!!!

Baxter was caught out on a technical glitch - he regularly used vicks nasal spray. The us version contained pseudoephedrine which shows up on drug test as an amphetamine related stimulant (it's why meth labs use cough medicine to make crystal meth!)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Baxter was caught out on a technical glitch - he regularly used vicks nasal spray. The us version contained pseudoephedrine which shows up on drug test as an amphetamine related stimulant (it's why meth labs use cough medicine to make crystal meth!)
Which reminds me, maybe my cynicism surrounding PED goes back further than I thought.

From memory 'everybody' was getting popped left right and centre, GB was it's usual tut-tut.

Linford Christie and I'm sure 1, maybe a couple of GB athletes then got caught but they all had excuses, because no GB competitor would ever cheat.

I remember at the time, probably a reaction to the media storm saying how dare these foreigners accuse a Brit of cheating, thinking, 'well he would say that wouldn't he'.

Not fair, probably not correct, but by christ did it get sanctimonious for a while.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Referencing LeMond isn't going to sit well, with many.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
I am soo pissed off with this.

My Geography use to big up the bastard and being the cocky 12-year-old guy that I was I said: "There is no way he managed to maintain that amount of fitness and still win. Drugs we're definitely used". My mum later received a letter explaining that I have an after school because I was disrupting the class and causing offence to a member of staff.

Seeing as I KNOW said geography is on here, you owe me 2 hours of my life. :censored:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But it is okay. PEDs won't make you hit a ball further or straighter. :lolol:

There's me thinking I was a 'magic bean' stuck record. :lol:

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Christine Uhuru

Which reminds me, maybe my cynicism surrounding PED goes back further than I thought.

From memory 'everybody' was getting popped left right and centre, GB was it's usual tut-tut.

Linford Christie and I'm sure 1, maybe a couple of GB athletes then got caught but they all had excuses, because no GB competitor would ever cheat.

I remember at the time, probably a reaction to the media storm saying how dare these foreigners accuse a Brit of cheating, thinking, 'well he would say that wouldn't he'.

Not fair, probably not correct, but by christ did it get sanctimonious for a while.

Did Christine Uhuru not miss 3 drug tests, which apparently was allowed by UK Athletics at the time, before there was some speculation about her. Of course she was a medal hope at the time so following on the sanctimonious' we British don't cheat mantra' she was allowed to get away with it. Couldn't see a cyclist getting away with that, unless he was a superstar.

All sport needs to have a truth and reconciliation from a certain date, move forward and anyone caught from that day on should be severely dealt with. The symbolism with Lance Armstrong is somewhat nauseating as it judges the world then from a perspective now, by those who have no knowledge of what the environment was during that period. I saw an interview with Greg Lamond in which he was decribed as the last clean TDF winner, oh my, has there ever been a clean TDF winner?

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Did Christine Uhuru not miss 3 drug tests, which apparently was allowed by UK Athletics at the time, before there was some speculation about her. Of course she was a medal hope at the time so following on the sanctimonious' we British don't cheat mantra' she was allowed to get away with it. Couldn't see a cyclist getting away with that, unless he was a superstar.

She got a 2 year ban and lifetime Olympic ban (overturned after Dwain Chambers took the BOA to court for banning him for being a dirty drugs cheat), but I think the ban was reduced too. Tim Don (Triathlon) got a similar 2 year ban reduced to 6 months at about the same time for 3 missed out-of-competition tests.

To be fair to Christine, the athlete's whereabouts system was changed because of her case and it seems like a genuine mistake. Tim Don was lucky - just wasn't where he said he would be for no decent reason.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I didn't know about deer velvet ban, says Sir Bob - National - NZ Herald News

New Zealand golfing great Sir Bob Charles says he had no idea the health supplement he has taken and promoted for years contained a substance banned by the World Anti-Doping Agency.
Deer velvet products have come into the spotlight after Fijian golfer Vijay Singh admitted using deer antler spray, saying he was unaware it contravened golf's anti-doping rules.
The products contain the "insulin-like growth factor" IGF-1, which is on the World Anti-Doping Agency's 2013 prohibited list.
New Zealand company Silberhorn sells a wide range of deer velvet products, promoted by Sir Bob, the 1963 British Open champion, who has taken deer velvet for nearly 20 years.
He said he had been "totally unaware" that deer velvet contained any banned substances, and it had not been confirmed to him.
"I'd be concerned if they did, sure. I would hope not, because I've been using deer velvet for many years now.
"It's all a bit of a mystery to me and it's going to be interesting to see how it all plays out.

I'm hoping the outcome is in the positive."
Silberhorn owner Ian Carline confirmed that the company's products did contain IGF-1, although he had not been made aware until yesterday that it was a banned substance. He said the product taken by Singh probably contained concentrated IGF-1, whereas Silberhorn products contained naturally occurring IGF-1.
"When you start concentrating these things and taking larger doses is when it probably becomes an issue.
"You can concentrate vitamin C and have all sorts of issues, too."
Mr Carline said many professional New Zealand sports people took Silberhorn's deer velvet products.
"Our database is like a who's who in the rugby industry, both current and former."

Drug Free Sport New Zealand executive director Graeme Steele said it didn't matter whether the substance was concentrated or not.

"If it's there then they shouldn't be taking it at all."

He said IGF-1 promoted bone and muscle growth and "the kinds of effects that an athlete who wants to bulk up might appreciate". He did not know what implications there could be for NZ athletes who have taken the products.

"It's not a circumstance like Lance Armstrong where somebody has taken what's clearly a banned substance in a cynical way."
No, it's more like a Schleck or Contador scenario. If you've taken a banned substance you should be banned. Simple. Anything less is making a laughing stock of that sports anti-doping control

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
So Michael ( I'm so doped up I can't ride in a straight line) Rasmussen, has admitted, now that his career has finished to taking drugs. he cannot be punished, but truthfully everyone in the sport knew. Same as Floyd Landis, Tyler Hamilton, Big George. Its easy to admit and give evidence when you've had your money out of the sport, Truth and Reconciliation, bring it out into the open and don't push it underground!!!!!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's going to take some reading, but it's a must.

Bill Simmons, a man who's work I am familiar with, really nails it here, he should 'have you' in the first couple of paragraphs:-

The Sports Guy on performance-enhancing drugs - Grantland

This is a hell of a lot of data, evidence, debate and conjecture, we're compiling here.
Part of me thinks it deserves a wider audience, thoughts?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
It's going to take some reading, but it's a must.

Bill Simmons, a man who's work I am familiar with, really nails it here, he should 'have you' in the first couple of paragraphs:-

The Sports Guy on performance-enhancing drugs - Grantland

This is a hell of a lot of data, evidence, debate and conjecture, we're compiling here.
Part of me thinks it deserves a wider audience, thoughts?

Interesting stuff. I've nicked his list of activities that put you in the suspicious list and amended/commented a bit -

• Skip the Olympics (which has much stricter drug testing) in your prime for any dubious reason and you're on the list.

We know you can cheat tests at a one off event, just do all your epo/hgh etc but stop a few weeks before.

• Enjoy your best season in years in your late 30s, four or five years after your last "best season," and you're on the list.

Lots of this about!

• If you're a skinny dude who miraculously managed to add 20 pounds of muscle to your scarecrow frame, you're on the list.

• If you chopped down the recovery time of a debilitating injury to something that just didn't seem possible a year ago, you're on the list.

I'm dubious about this one, though someone may know more than me, but I wouldn't think healing is drastically changed by hgh/steroids.

• If you were really good and really ripped at a really young age, and now your body is breaking down much sooner than it should be breaking down, you're on the list.

? Nadal

• If you're exhibiting a level of superhuman endurance that has little correlation to the endurance of any of your competitors, you're on the list.

This one is Armstrong through and through. Is a little reminiscent of the epic 5 setters that have been happening in grand slams recently as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here