Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
ITN news @ 10, on now, have a story on Operation Puerto, coming up soon.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's odd to hear Puerto being reported on as a 'new' news story.

At least the story is being told.
But the whole truth isn't coming out probably ever.
There's no incentive to do so, and an awful lot of money and power with vested interests to make sure it doesn't happen.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
It's odd to hear Puerto being reported on as a 'new' news story.

At least the story is being told.
But the whole truth isn't coming out probably ever.
There's no incentive to do so, and an awful lot of money and power with vested interests to make sure it doesn't happen.

There's no way the Spanish authorities will let Barcelona et al take any heat from this.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There's no way the Spanish authorities will let Barcelona et al take any heat from this.
I guess the best we could hope for is a non Spanish journo, who really wants the story.

I can't think why they wouldn't, if the scandal went to the very top, the implications for European and World football would be massive, overshadowing Lance and making the the biggest ever.

I'd imagine the 'deck of cards' would tumble pretty quickly, too.
There's no one lynch pin holding it all together, that we know of.
I can't see just one player taking the fall, losing everything while the rest happily sign their next multi million pound contract.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I guess the best we could hope for is a non Spanish journo, who really wants the story.

I can't think why they wouldn't, if the scandal went to the very top, the implications for European and World football would be massive, overshadowing Lance and making the the biggest ever.

I'd imagine the 'deck of cards' would tumble pretty quickly, too.
There's no one lynch pin holding it all together, that we know of.
I can't see just one player taking the fall, losing everything while the rest happily sign their next multi million pound contract.

Imagine if they found blood bags etc with messi's/nadal's dogs names on!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Imagine if they found blood bags etc with messi's/nadal's dogs names on!
Who's to say they didn't!

It seems this is back to being a 'cyclist only thread'.

As and when the lid finally blows off of this, although not anytime soon.
I'm going to be very undignified and scream, up and down this board, 'we fookin well told you so'.

Only [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] will escape as his values most certainly echo ours from 10-15 years ago.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ

I'm going to be very undignified and scream, up and down this board, 'we fookin well told you so'.

Only @Ninja Elephant will escape as his values most certainly echo ours from 10-15 years ago.
It will provide a good opportunity to sit back, feet up, and just quietly say "I flaming well told you so".

Oh, but it won't happen because drugs don't make you kick a ball better.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Only [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] will escape as his values most certainly echo ours from 10-15 years ago.

:down: Genuinely disappointing. But I'm sure this only involves unknown Spanish players, and certainly none of those who now play for us. :dunce:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:down: Genuinely disappointing. But I'm sure this only involves unknown Spanish players, and certainly none of those who now play for us. :dunce:
Now that's how to take the wind out of my sails, ninj.
It hadn't even occurred to me it could involve one or more of our boys.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Then we're even, sir. :down:
I was looking higher up the football food chain.

If in the slim chance it were to involve one of ours, it would certainly stop me strutting around these parts with my pants on my head, pointing the finger at everyone else.

Surely sport can't be that cruel to one specific NSC subsection, TWICE.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh and just to prove I'm an equal opportunities PED news gatherer, here's what The US have to offer:-

Miami man at center of probe into performance-enhancing drugs in Major League Baseball, other sports - Inside Baseball - MiamiHerald.com

This section is amazingly chilling and so very American:-

Citing unnamed law enforcement sources, the Daily News reported that at least 20 baseball Major Leaguers, as well as NFL players, are linked to Bosch, who has been involved with a number of medical centers and wellness clinics in South Florida.

The players are not considered targets, sources told the newspaper.

But they could serve as witnesses if the investigation turns up evidence that Bosch supplied athletes with performance-enhancing drugs — such as human growth hormone and testosterone — illegally.

That'll stop them taking drugs.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Webber doesn't hold back.

Drug testing in Formula 1

Andrew Benson
Chief F1 writer
Formula 1's governing body the FIA is signed up to a drug-testing regime which is committed to the guidelines of the World Anti-Doping Association (Wada). Drivers are tested for illegal doping practices both out of competition and at grands prix - although tests, for which competitors are selected at random, do not happen at every race and not every driver is tested when they do.

Out-of-competition tests follow the same procedure as in all other Wada-linked sports. Drivers have to make the authorities aware of their whereabouts and the testers can turn up at any time with no prior warning.

For several years now, leading drivers have been tested out of competition a few times a year.

Driving an F1 car is a highly physical activity in a hostile environment involving high G-forces, stress and high temperatures for which drivers need to be exceptionally fit. Several doping practices could potentially improve athletes' performances.

Among these would be saline infusions for pre- and post-race hydration; plasma regulators for thermoregulation and certain stimulants for alertness and reaction time.

Although muscle bulk is not a requirement - lean, fast-reacting muscles are more effective - steroids and cortisone could be helpful in accelerating muscle and bone repair in the event of an injury.

Some steroids can also promote aggression and fearlessness, which could improve performance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here