Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Labour lead in polls,anyone able explain why ?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The economy was in a reasonable state in 1997 when Blair took over. This is my point.

The economy was 'recovering' by 1997 but had shown signs of shrinking back, following nearly a decade of catastrophic economic mismanagement, crippling interest rates, out of control inflation, scandals, the lot. The only difference was the timing of the elections and the later being on a global scale.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Yes, it was a global recession, but Brown ran a DEFICIT in the BOOM years. PRUDENT? Complete f***ing w***er he was, and Balls was his sidekick. But, hey, don't let simple things like FACTS stand in the way of your prejudice.

Oh come on ..... that's entirely unfair. Brown stopped the boom and bust cycle ( allegedly ) so how could he run a deficit in BOOM years ?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Only after serious economic mismanagment earlier in the term.
By this rationale, you could say that Labour gave the Tories a country in growth.

Neither really tells the full story.

I maintain that the Tories handed over an economy in reasonable condition in 1997, which is more than any other Labour government have managed to do.

I also think that Blair and Brown were fortunate to be in power just as the internet boom was about to take place. The effect on the domestic and global economy was huge, made greater in 1999-2000 as people upgraded after concerns about The Millennium Bug.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I also think that Blair and Brown were fortunate to be in power just as the internet boom was about to take place. The effect on the domestic and global economy was huge, made greater in 1999-2000 as people upgraded after concerns about The Millennium Bug.

people overlook the massive impact this had on improving productivity. also the rise of Chinese imports of everything keeping inflation down. Brown utilised these blessings well enough but believed he had delivered the improvements himself, to the point of ignoring his own rules on the fiscal cycle, because there was no more boom and bust.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Or maybe peoples memories are long enough to remember;

- Openly homophobic legislation in our schools
- Institutionalised racism in the Met
- Black Monday
- Poll Tax Riots
- John Major
- The miners strike
- Irish terrorism

The fact that the Tories haven't repealed all the legislation that the last Government brought in surrounding equality. Does this mean Labour got it right? If so why did the Tories spend 18 years denying rights to homosexuals, females, ethnic minorities etc...?

- Labour's record on the economy isn't great.
- The Tories record on social cohesion and equality is scandalous. Are you seriously asking me to support a party that until very recently still thought homosexuality was wrong?

Support who you like fella, I have never voted Tory and have no intention of voting Labour ever again. I do believe that the last Labour government was far worse than we have now. Another 5 years in power and this country would have been completely shot under Labour.

D

Deleted member 22389

Support who you like fella, I have never voted Tory and have no intention of voting Labour ever again. I do believe that the last Labour government was far worse than we have now. Another 5 years in power and this country would have been completely shot under Labour.

Same for me, will never vote for them again.

Wherever you seem to turn 'Red Ed' has an appalling media and poll rating,so how can anyone expain the Labour lead in the polls and to be fair to Labour it's been like this for some months. http://yougov.co.uk/news/categories/politics/ :bigwave:

The Tory press (and with the so-called left wing BBC taking cues from its agenda) have been trying to talk down Miliband for many, many months but guess what? The public ain't buying it, no matter how hard these paid shills try

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Do you know what- it's just occured to me that I don't vote Labour any more. I'm arguing on behalf of the 21 year old me.

I think I need a lie down.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The Tory press (and with the so-called left wing BBC taking cues from its agenda) have been trying to talk down Miliband for many, many months but guess what? The public ain't buying it, no matter how hard these paid shills try

Perhaps someone should tell Jon Cruddas, Labour's head of policy this good news then. He's positively scathing about about Miliband's leadership. http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/06/cruddass-attack-has-raised-bar-miliband

And whilst they're at it, they might want to inform the Guardian that you think it's part of the Tory press. http://www.theguardian.com/politics...ick-clegg-fall-lowest-popularity-guardian-icm

I think there are similarities between Miliband's leadership in opposition and Ian Duncan Smith's back in 2001. Both were popular only with party faithful and quite clearly the wrong candidate one (David M should have got Ed's job and David Davis should have got the 2001 Tory leadership). And Ed will more than likely be a key reason why the Tories will scrape home with another minority government in the next election. Ed's just marking time until someone effective comes along.

Perhaps someone should tell Jon Cruddas, Labour's head of policy this good news then. He's positively scathing about about Miliband's leadership. http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/06/cruddass-attack-has-raised-bar-miliband

And whilst they're at it, they might want to inform the Guardian that you think it's part of the Tory press. http://www.theguardian.com/politics...ick-clegg-fall-lowest-popularity-guardian-icm

Labour left winger offering advice to a centrist Labour leader? Jeezus Buzzer is that the best you can do? You are aware there have been divisions like this in the Labour party since, oh I guess, 1906?

As for that Guardian piece, yes there is a second group apart from increasingly flustered Tories who hate Miliband, and that's increasing flustered Blairites, see John Rentoul over at the Indy for even better examples of that "he's not our lovely Tony" crap.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I think there are similarities between Miliband's leadership in opposition and Ian Duncan Smith's back in 2001. Both were popular only with party faithful and quite clearly the wrong candidate one (David M should have got Ed's job and David Davis should have got the 2001 Tory leadership). And Ed will more than likely be a key reason why the Tories will scrape home with another minority government in the next election. Ed's just marking time until someone effective comes along.

And there I was thinking that you're a sceptic. Instead you're a David Miliband (and perhaps Davis) supporter :sick:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Labour left winger offering advice to a centrist Labour leader? Jeezus Buzzer is that the best you can do? You are aware there have been divisions like this in the Labour party since, oh I guess, 1906?

Advice? Even the semi-official Labour Party organ, the New Statesman refers to it as an 'attack' in their headlines and in the article...innovative policies are being 'crushed at the centre' and welfare announcements are 'cynical and punitive'. With friends like Jon...

As for that Guardian piece, yes there is a second group apart from increasingly flustered Tories who hate Miliband, and that's increasing flustered Blairites, see John Rentoul over at the Indy for even better examples of that "he's not our lovely Tony" crap.

Ah. The Guardian is full of flustered Blairites. And the Indy too, you say. And he's got the right-wing press on his back too. Then he's doomed. No leader of any party could possibly win when he's got all of the national dailies and the BBC plotting against him. And this leads me to wonder where is the proof that the public aren't buying it if all of these organisations are plotting against Ed because countless opinion polls show otherwise.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Really? Guardian poll couple of weeks ago had his personal popularity falling further. he really isn't very popular and must be seriously damaging Labour, who the polling suggest would have a good lead otherwise.

Silkster365

Oooo its a corner
Feb 21, 2009
Rustington
Labour have a prime opportunity to get back to power but if that clown stays in charge they will be looking at 4 more years of nothingness

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here