Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Kobe Bryant dies in helicopter crash

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Wonder whether the Leicester City helicopter death crash a year ago made the headlines on Fox....

Not sure you can compare the two - Kobe Bryant probably one of the most famous sportsmen in the World in his prime. His generation's equivalent to Michael Jordan.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Or maybe they're both very sad incidences.....?

Of course they're both sad, any time innocent people die it is sad. But that wasn't the point being made and I'm not sure why you're trying to conflate the two.

They were talking about how famous one of the most famous NBA players of all time is, compared to the chairman of a mid-sized Premier League football club.

Last edited:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
The suggestion that it's down to a lack of diversity at the BBC sounds true to me. I've had to read their diversity guidance for staff lots of times - it's basically loads of photos of Romesh and lots of figures about how great they are. Whether it's intentional or not, they seem to almost exclusively recruit white (usually young, preppy) employees.

As a one-time employee I can assure you That if anything, the BBC bends over backwards to do the opposite. Managers were hyper aware of diversity and obsessed with recruiting a wide range of people.

Also , re the editing mistake, it was likely down to careless editing in a rush to get the piece out.
It is not a race issue.

Last edited:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Very sad any time people die in an accident.

About helicopter safety. I wouldn't ever get in one either, but is there a point that we are disproportionately likely to hear of people who die in helicopter deaths as it's much more likely that rich / famous people will be the ones using them, so any fatality is much more likely to make the news?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Of course they're both sad, any time innocent people die, it is sad. But that wasn't the point being made and I'm not sure why you're trying to conflate the two.

They were talking about how famous one of the most famous NBA players of all time is, compared to the chairman of a mid-sized Premier League football club.
But the Leicester story was a massive headline in the states, because the Leicester Premier League win.
Which was also a massive story in the states.

Making the whole argument somewhat redundant.

That said I have no doubt it wouldn't have been mentioned were it not for the backstory.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As a one-time employee I can assure you That if anything, the BBC bends over backwards to do the oppposite.

I think you're probably right about this, up until the last few years.They seem to have gone insanely Brexity in the last couple of years.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Of course they're both sad, any time innocent people die, it is sad. But that wasn't the point being made and I'm not sure why you're trying to conflate the two.

You said you can't compare the 2 as if one is worse or more important than the other? . They both died in air disasters we'd all hate to experience with very sad stories linked to them. One was a young man (28) getting to fulfil his childhood dream of playing in the biggest league in the world taken away from him on his way to sign and confirm the contract.
The other was a man who'd experienced his dream of being considered one of the greatest at what he played, but sadly after retirement experienced his last moments probably holding his young daughter knowing there was nothing he could do to make her feel safe from such terror before their death. Dreadful experience for all of them.

Why do people have to compare for gods sake? Horrible and sad either way

EDIT just realised you're talking about the Leicester owner. Sorry my mistake totally misunderstood you :ffsparr:

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And that completes NSC celebrity death thread bingo!

- Initial duplicate posts
- Crass attempt at a joke post
- Attack/ban joker post
- 10 "never heard of him" posts
- The "what about the starving kids in Africa" post

Kobe was a great. This accident is horrific.

I think you've missed a line from the template: the 'he/she was shit anyway' post. There is usually some penis desperate to contribute to the thread of respect for any famous actor / singer / celebrity, to tell everyone that they were over-rated.

Even David ****ing Bowie FFS.

Bryant really must have been special.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I think you're probably right about this, up until the last few years.They seem to have gone insanely Brexity in the last couple of years.

Maybe, although I might add many Bbc employees are in a position to exert their political persuasion on output. And they represent an extreme range of political views.
The idea of there being a wizard of oz-type character dictating an overarching political stance is bullshit.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Such a horrific accident, & devastating news. My boys are big fans of the game, and Kobe was a sports hero to many - including them. They were both visibly stunned when they heard about it yesterday, & are finding it hard to comprehend whats happened. So sad for the families involved.

Just read this on CNN, which may offer a up a few clues as to the cause....

The crash occurred under foggy and cloudy conditions with extremely low visibility, CNN meteorologist Michael Guy said.

Weather conditions on Sunday morning didn't meet the minimum standards for flying and the Los Angeles Police department grounded its helicopters, spokesman Josh Rubenstein told CNN.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just read this on CNN, which may offer a up a few clues as to the cause....

The crash occurred under foggy and cloudy conditions with extremely low visibility, CNN meteorologist Michael Guy said.

Weather conditions on Sunday morning didn't meet the minimum standards for flying and the Los Angeles Police department grounded its helicopters, spokesman Josh Rubenstein told CNN.

Wow.

If correct I think we all know what that means.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Dear oh dear. Second worst take ever.

You're just behind Lee Ryan of boyband Blue, after 9/11.

“Who gives a f*ck about New York when elephants are being killed? They are ignoring animals that are more important. Animals need saving and that’s more important. This New York thing is being blown out of all proportion.”

Really, you'd put the two posts together would you? I raise the point about tragedy and how it would impact on his family and the families of those whom also died and add balance by reminding people that over three million children die each year for a lack of fresh water and nutrition. Yeah, **** 'um, really? The post is about the media outpouring, I'm just saying it's a shame they don't use that power to remind people of the tragedy that occurs every day.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
And that completes NSC celebrity death thread bingo!

- Initial duplicate posts
- Crass attempt at a joke post
- Attack/ban joker post
- 10 "never heard of him" posts
- The "what about the starving kids in Africa" post

Kobe was a great. This accident is horrific.

Who mentioned Africa?

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
The rape allegation?

No, I was continuing the “never heard of him” conversation and quoting Conan Doyle/Sherlock Holmes about how the mind is an attic and you have to be careful with what you fill it, but this is an obituary thread really so after hitting post I decided to withdraw it. It was a bit too off-topic.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Really, you'd put the two posts together would you? I raise the point about tragedy and how it would impact on his family and the families of those whom also died and add balance by reminding people that over three million children die each year for a lack of fresh water and nutrition. Yeah, **** 'um, really? The post is about the media outpouring, I'm just saying it's a shame they don't use that power to remind people of the tragedy that occurs every day.

You do make a valid point one shouldn't argue. There's children who lived and died much sader lives than the ones we're being told to mourn by the media, you can't argue that. It's as if we have to just accept that all these children dying everyday from neglect, has to be just seen as a way of life unlike the superstars dying in luxury transport.
Like others have stated, it doesn't take away the sadness of what's happened with the helicopter crash and the 9 on board or other disasters like the Shoreham air disaster, but your argument shouldn't be vilified. This mourning we're offering (including myself) for yesterdays helicopter crash would be good if we could offer it for all those being put through extremely upsetting, unfair , neglective deaths, especially for all those young innocent children dying everyday. I myself don't pay too much attention to it and should offer more noise about it but sadly like so many others, we're just brainwashed by what the media tell us to feel sad about e.g. Princess Di.

Good on you for taking this upsetting story as a chance to raise awareness on other issues which may help us (including myself) to see things in the bigger picture whilst we're collectively feeling this current sadness. You'll get shot down for doing so, but just remind yourself that the ones attacking you for this are probably good people deep down but probably just dealing with the deep rooted emotional defects of media mind control. The more people raise your message the more chance we have of one day addressing these problems you mention rather than just crying for superstars and their relatives.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here