Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Kobe Bryant dies in helicopter crash

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Tbh I'd never heard of him. It was the lead news story on BBC news so I guess it shows his importance.

RIP

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Maybe, but they used clips of LeBron James to illustrate the story, which kind of shows you how well we know him!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

They just issued an apology at the end of the news. How embarrassing.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It does genuinely surprise me how many people don’t seem to have heard of him. I don’t particularly follow basketball either, but I’ve heard of Michael Jordon, Shaquille O’Neal, Magic Johnson and LeBron James. Kobe Bryant was in that same school of fame.

The Messi / Ronaldo example earlier was a good one, but you could extend that to other sports as well. He was the Tiger Woods, the Roger Federer, the David Beckham of basketball.

This only strengthens my resolve to never step inside a helicopter. Matthew Harding, Colin McCrae, Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha (yeah, I Googled it), all off the top of my head, and now Kobe Bryant. Sad stuff.

I'm one who has never heard of him, however RIP all those who lost their lives.

And, though I have travelled in helicopters and studied aeronautics. used to be a licensed aircraft engineer, I still don't trust them.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Never heard of him. How many Brits have? Main story on the BBC website though, for some reason.
Odd thing, news story values. We're all pretty insular. Wonder whether the Leicester City helicopter death crash a year ago made the headlines on Fox....

Tell me that's a wind-up post! How can any sports fan not have heard of him?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Maybe, but they used clips of LeBron James to illustrate the story, which kind of shows you how well we know him!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Not really, it just goes to show what idiots work at the BBC these days, it's bad enough but if it was done via the sports department for the news then it is totally unforgivable and amateurish.
Bryant was a legend in the game, the only people that may not know him are those that don't watch basketball, even many that don't still know or at least heard of him.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Watching the game between the Knicks and the Nets at Madison Square which is on TV at the minute. They had some nice tributes and a minutes silence with the crowd shouting "Kobe ! Kobe!" when it ended. Also some shots of Kobe on the big Jumbotron outside MSG with the outside lit up in mauve and gold. RIP Kobe

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Both he and his 13 year old daughter were killed. How awful for his wife and other children.

And three others killed too, as yet unnamed by the media. Terrible!

And no, I’d not heard of him.

Very very sad. RIP to all of them.

Not sure why everyone is banging on about how famous/ not famous he was or how good he was at sport etc? Had it been my postman, it still would've been just as sad.
I don't care how good the man was at sport, it must be an awful time for all those related and close to him right. I would really struggle knowing a 13 year old girl, related to me/someone I knew, had to experience the extreme fear and terror of a helicopter crash moments before she passes. Every kids worst nightmare when getting in these forms of transport. Terrible.

Hope those close can all get through this with positivity. God bless them all.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its not a sport on my radar, because basketball IS the worst sport in the world.

But I'd heard of this chap, and his passing in this manner is a dreadful tragedy, especially if his little girl also perished. RIP.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
This. He was an absolute megastar, a giant in his sport. My favourite basketball player of all time, loved watching him and the player I tried to copy when I used to play as a teenager.

Not a basketball fan but really can't state how big of a megastar he was, I honestly can't think of a football comparison that would be on this level, as far as he's seen in the US. Being in LA right now the only thing that I've experienced akin to this was Princess Diana dying.

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
LA Sheriff Alex Villanueva has said that eight others were on board the helicopter with Kobe Bryant.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Not into the sport and never heard of him, but RIP to all those on board and anybody else in the world that dies due to unforeseen circumstances.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Some people, not me, feel that Laker fans will treat much like the assassination of John Kennedy. People will remember what they were doing and the reactions of other people. Kobe Bryant was 18 years old when he started playing in the NBA. He went directly from playing for his high school sport team to the NBA. There are only 2 hand fulls of athletes that have done that (including Lebron James). The rule now states that a high school athlete must wait at least one year before coming to the NBA. Now athletes usually play one year in the NCAA--college sport association--for one year before entering the NBA. Those "One and Done" players are a farce to the serious college student athletes. They only use that one year among the college teams to further their pro career.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I do find 'not heard of him' a little odd, on a sport website.

Sure I have no doubt many of our mothers would be "Kobe who?"

In much the same way those of our American cousins who are also currently on a sports message board would say "how am I supposed to know Dale Stephens?"

But I'm pretty sure they could all tell me something about Ronaldo or Messi.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh my

[tweet]1221523745057263621[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here