Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Kobe Bryant dies in helicopter crash

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Wow, the guy is one of basketball's greats, a top professional. it's so sad. RIP Kobe.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
To put it in perspective for those who don't follow basketball, it's probably the equivalent of Messi or Ronaldo dying less than 4 years after retirement.

Both a tragedy and a huge loss to sport in general.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Never heard of him. How many Brits have? Main story on the BBC website though, for some reason.
Odd thing, news story values. We're all pretty insular. Wonder whether the Leicester City helicopter death crash a year ago made the headlines on Fox....
One of the greatest ever sportsman of modern times tbf.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
But this guy has a case for 2nd best player of all time.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Never heard of him. How many Brits have? Main story on the BBC website though, for some reason.
Odd thing, news story values. We're all pretty insular. Wonder whether the Leicester City helicopter death crash a year ago made the headlines on Fox....

A fair few certainly have. He was a megastar

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Even worse that his 13 year old daughter was with him. Poor kid.

I hope they never saw it coming.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
My missus knew who he was. She’s pretty much a vacuum of sporting knowledge, so that’s a pretty good barometer of the guy’s reach and fame.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
To put it in perspective for those who don't follow basketball, it's probably the equivalent of Messi or Ronaldo dying less than 4 years after retirement.

Both a tragedy and a huge loss to sport in general.

This. He was an absolute megastar, a giant in his sport. My favourite basketball player of all time, loved watching him and the player I tried to copy when I used to play as a teenager.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

Quite a lot of people have heard of him I think.

He was an absolute legend. Remember MSG being totally sold out a few years ago just to see him play against the Knicks.

RIP Kobe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Blimey.

Closely followed by blimey - you're gonna joke.

Then followed still by blimey - how can you not have heard of him?

Oh and final yes the Leicester City crash was extensively covered in America.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
It does genuinely surprise me how many people don’t seem to have heard of him. I don’t particularly follow basketball either, but I’ve heard of Michael Jordon, Shaquille O’Neal, Magic Johnson and LeBron James. Kobe Bryant was in that same school of fame.

The Messi / Ronaldo example earlier was a good one, but you could extend that to other sports as well. He was the Tiger Woods, the Roger Federer, the David Beckham of basketball.

This only strengthens my resolve to never step inside a helicopter. Matthew Harding, Colin McCrae, Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha (yeah, I Googled it), all off the top of my head, and now Kobe Bryant. Sad stuff.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Both he and his 13 year old daughter were killed. How awful for his wife and other children.

And three others killed too, as yet unnamed by the media. Terrible!

And no, I’d not heard of him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here