Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Knives out for Garcia already?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
If he keeps playing Bruno out of position and starting with the woeful David he won't last long.

Do you know what for YEARS I have said that as soon as a manager starts playing players out of position* when there are other players who can play that role (eg Ince ATM) then it really is the beginning of the end for the manager. It equates to losing the plot.

*injuries and suspensions permitting.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If he keeps playing Bruno out of position and starting with the woeful David he won't last long.

Do you know what for YEARS I have said that as soon as a manager starts playing players out of position* when there are other players who can play that role (eg Ince ATM) then it really is the beginning of the end for the manager. It equates to losing the plot.

Ince can play on the wing!?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I cant remember us having the sort of injury crisis we are having now. What we forget is that OG was not confirmed in his post until right before ths season started. He had no real time to build the time or even probably break their old habits. Ive said all along that we cant expect much from this season considering what's happened. As far as Im concerned OG should still feel comfortbale in his job.

As for Gus, Im still not entirely convinced we should have got rid of him but it is utterly pointless to discuss it now. Those days are gone and I have seen or heard nothing so far to suggest that OG will do any worse than Gus.

The one gripe I do have is that I really dont understand what has happened with our ability to get people in. Its all very well to say we will only get players in who are better than weve got if weve got the money for those players and we are not already thin on the ground. FFP is not the whole story, Im sure.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Of course it's not fair, when has opinion on NSC been fair!?

He's been in England a total of about 12 weeks. He's managed the squad in 11 competitive fixtures. He's trying out his squad, looking at how different players work in different roles. He's shown a flexibility to how we play, and even in a poor game like last night, we really had enough chances to win it.

We've got players that need to settle into the club, as well as the squad adapting to what Oscar is looking for from them.

Very promising results mixed with some poor performances as well.

I'm optimistic that Oscar will get this side understanding each other and playing well, and I think personally that we will be challenging the play off spots later in the season, perhaps in a late charge.

Exactly. phase one of his tenure is to patch up and assess what he has got to work with, this will take until Christmas to be ready for the January transfer window to make calculated targets based on first hand information.

It would have been pointless and illogical for him to have splashed the cash before he understands what we have and haven’t got on his arrival. What we saved in the last transfer window can be spent in the next.

The team he is working with has largely been inherited from Poyet and it is hardly surprising this is a massive learning curve for a team that was drilled in playing safe and with caution.

It’s no surprise to me that Bridcutt never had a shot last season and not even that many if any in the season before. It is also no surprise that CMS was feeding on scraps, despite of the fact that he was the hardest working player we had.

Until this team is an Oscar team and we have ironed out the Poyet mentality, this is a work in progress and some people have to see above their desire of instant gratification.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Ince can play creative attacking wide midfield? Have you actually been watching the role Bruno has been playing?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Bruno I am talking about.

As for Spanish Div well Conway can play there.

Ince can play creative attacking wide midfield? Have you actually been watching the role Bruno has been playing?

I think you might be confusing a few of us here TMLS. You are definitely suggesting why play Bruno out of position when there are other players re: Ince you can play there. How else are we meant to have read your statement?

I'd have to say that playing a winger at full back or vice versa, is hardly the beginning of the end for a manager. Gus did it last season with SD playing at full back, I'm pretty sure I remember a game with Calde playing in midfield as well...It's hardly losing the plot...

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful

Fancy playing Bruno out of position, so that he can put Dave through on goal with a sublime pass. Not defending Bruno because he looked exhausted, but the strategy of playing him would have been lauded if Dave had scored. AS for knives being out for Oscar, some of our strikers need to look at their performances as Ashley (I can't hit the target) Barnes and Leo (I am getting automatic selection) Ulloa need to start scoring as they are being given opportunities and not converting them. How long ago now since one of our strikers scored?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This is all ignoring the fact Bruno was one of our better players first half. He struggled far more when back at RB, funnily enough.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Until Oscar is given a full squad to pick from him I find it a bit too soon to judge him. He's been hugely unlucky with the injuries and the clubs refusal to get any replacements is limiting his options hugely. Unfortunately too many of our 'fans' are/were expecting us to continue from where we were last season and can't understand why we haven't thrown £££££'s at getting in quick replacements. We need to be patient, I'm sure Oscar is equally as frustrated as he hadn't been able to showpiece his favoured attacking style. We are going to be fine.

Jimmy Grimble

That's a very black and white view of things.

A fair few players over the years have had their position changed by managers and gone on to be successful, Thierry Henry for example.

Bruno had actually played in midfield previously in Spain, as well.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I know I've said this before on another thread, that although watching the game live for 90 mins on Tuesday it seemed poor, but on watching the 16 mins highlights on the seagull player we were doing some very good things. So if we can do what we are getting right for longer, we will be fine.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I know I've said this before on another thread, that although watching the game live for 90 mins on Tuesday it seemed poor, but on watching the 16 mins highlights on the seagull player we were doing some very good things. So if we can do what we are getting right for longer, we will be fine.

It seemed to be the last half hour...after the Ulloa incident and subs that things seemed to go awry...maybe that was down to the players rather than tactics...i did see Jones urging the players to pass it rather that play hoof ball

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I think the frustration when things are not going well, i.e not scoring goals, leads you to be far more critical of moves that don't come off. I may have my Albion tinted glasses on but we don't seem to be getting the bounce of the ball at the moment. We have shots, they are blocked and then bounce to the opposition player to clear. They are not dropping to Albion players at the moment. The first goal at Ipswich was a completely unstoppable deflection that Kuz would probably have saved easily, we don't seem to be getting luck like that either.

Other teams are not having many more shots than us they are just scoring from them. We are not a shambles in defence, just every mistake is being punished. Watch us get a lucky win against Forest and we'll be off again ( I did tell you I was wearing Albion tinted glasses)

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It seemed to be the last half hour...after the Ulloa incident and subs that things seemed to go awry...maybe that was down to the players rather than tactics...i did see Jones urging the players to pass it rather that play hoof ball

No we made loads of chances in the first half. Have you seen the extended highlights on the seagull player?

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He couldn't pass wind on tuesday, let alone the ball.

Apart from a SUBLIME ball to put Lopez in, and a couple of very nice passes up the wing to put Buckley through?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here