Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Knives out for Garcia already?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Cannot judge on less than a third of the season gone...he is unlucky being beset by all the injuries....how many other teams have an injury list like us...at least he is trying out the youngsters...would the departed one usedInce,JFC or Solly March by now...I know that GP gave JFC a few cameo experiences...Keep the faith...it will come good.

Agree it is too soon for judge Oscar.

But you point on using youngsters does not really tell the entire story. His hand has, to some extent, been forced due to injuries and lack of alternatives. I would also suggest playing Bruno in midfield for two games is not exactly showing a willingness to put faith in Ince and Forster-Caskey...

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
- I think the only time we can assess if his tactics are right or not, or his formations are right or not, is when the injury list is seriously reduced.
- He obviously likes to rotate the squad and is still assessing who he can and cannot rotate. I suspect with Ince, he is protecting him as he is only young. Buckley we know needs a month off if he plays too much. KLL is carrying a knock etc.

Anyone who has the knives out for him already is an arse. We will be fine and will still be challenging come the end of the season.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Agree it is too soon for judge Oscar.

But you point on using youngsters does not really tell the entire story. His hand has, to some extent, been forced due to injuries and lack of alternatives. I would also suggest playing Bruno in midfield for two games is not exactly showing a willingness to put faith in Ince and Forster-Caskey...

Mores the pity. I think Ince has done a great job when he's played.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Knives are certainly not out, I don't think. There has been some perfectly justifiable criticism though. The team selection last night was a really poor, negative one, for a home match against weak opposition. That's the truth, and its not hindsight - I wrote the same before kick off. Start that match with an attacking side, and an fully attacking mindset and we'd have won it.

This. Obviously.

Anyone who wants Oscar out after ten games with us midtable having put 3 quality performances in, and 3 woeful ones, is a MORON.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
I hope we will be challenging at the end of the season, but I doubt it. My opinion is that the boat came in last season and we missed it. All being well I will be proved wrong :albion2:.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
This is absolutely not the case, what a ridiculous comment. You don't have to be a "Gus arse licker" to be critical of our recent displays. I'm not passing judgement on Garcia until January at least, but last night was one of the worst, most clueless long ball games of football I've seen in years. My sunday league team completes more passes than albion did last night. Bad day at the office or wrong tactics? I'm inclined to say the former. But criticising a woeful performance has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with anyone's opinion on Poyet.

The pro Gus lobby take delight in denigrating Oscar at every opportunity. I would rather see us playing crap at this stage of the season experimenting because improvements can be made and we don't appear on the radar.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Knives are certainly not out, I don't think. There has been some perfectly justifiable criticism though. The team selection last night was a really poor, negative one, for a home match against weak opposition. That's the truth, and its not hindsight - I wrote the same before kick off. Start that match with an attacking side, and an fully attacking mindset and we'd have won it.

That's a fair point because, for me, Wednesday came down for the draw. The amount of time wasting they did from the off and the way they double teamed out wide suggested they would have taken a point all day long. We really needed to get among them and disrupt their plans.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Reading through NSC after the last 2 games it seems as though there is the start of a tide of opinion against the man....poor tactics or none at all, monotone interviews etc.

Is this really fair? Is ten games really long enough to judge the man, with the squad having suffered from injuries/suspension to key players, the overhang of a failed playoff ...the Poyet saga ..some doubts over the size of his transfer budget etc.

We've gone from 2 creditable draws away at Reading and QPR (we also beat the league leaders earlier), to 2 seemingly disjointed displays, although in both we had the opportunities to take an early lead (Crofts/Ipswich and Leo/Lopez last night) and it is baffling to understand why.

As regards to his interview style ...no he isent as charismatic as Poyet and some peeps are criticising him for not being more 'interesting'...but then Poyet was often moaned at for saying the wrong things..

To me this was always going to be a season of transition from Poyets way to Garcias...and a bit of a roller coaster ride... and if we finish mid table but with improving performances then personally i think it would have been a successful season.

Thoughts?

I hope he succeeds, I really do. Nothing against the man personally. I just miss the way we played under Poyet. Last night was just ugly. Why the need to change our style? If it ain't broke...

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Perhaps he hasn't been training well?

It could be partly that but it could also be that if you put Ince and Andrews in the same team your then playing with 2 defensive midfielders which could be seen as negative team selection, Which if memory serves me right hasn't Gus Poyet been slated in the past for employing that sort of tactic?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It could be partly that but it could also be that if you put Ince and Andrews in the same team your then playing with 2 defensive midfielders which could be seen as negative team selection, Which if memory serves me right hasn't Gus Poyet been slated in the past for employing that sort of tactic?

If it was that then why on earth was he replaced by BRUNO? And with Spanish Dave playing instead of Conway or Buckley? We were very, very negatively set up last night. Ince would have helped. His passing is good and he's a UNIT.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The pro Gus lobby take delight in denigrating Oscar at every opportunity. I would rather see us playing crap at this stage of the season experimenting because improvements can be made and we don't appear on the radar.

I've seen very little denigration of Oscar, far less from the 'pro Gus lobby' whoever they might be. It's not a reasoned argument at all. People are concerned that the team are going backwards which is reasonable.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
Reading through NSC after the last 2 games it seems as though there is the start of a tide of opinion against the man....poor tactics or none at all, monotone interviews etc.

Is this really fair? Is ten games really long enough to judge the man, with the squad having suffered from injuries/suspension to key players, the overhang of a failed playoff ...the Poyet saga ..some doubts over the size of his transfer budget etc.

We've gone from 2 creditable draws away at Reading and QPR (we also beat the league leaders earlier), to 2 seemingly disjointed displays, although in both we had the opportunities to take an early lead (Crofts/Ipswich and Leo/Lopez last night) and it is baffling to understand why.

As regards to his interview style ...no he isent as charismatic as Poyet and some peeps are criticising him for not being more 'interesting'...but then Poyet was often moaned at for saying the wrong things..

To me this was always going to be a season of transition from Poyets way to Garcias...and a bit of a roller coaster ride... and if we finish mid table but with improving performances then personally i think it would have been a successful season.

Thoughts?

Which tide of opinion is this?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I'm not sure it is that justifiable. He doesn't know what everyone is like on a match day in what position. He still needs to try things, Bruno was often very attacking as a right back, actually put him in a position where he can put more focus on attack than defence and will we get more out of him? No he didn't play well v Ipswich, but who did? There will be plenty of weird selections this season as Oscar gets to really know his team, deals with injuries and suspensions, sees which experience senior players can be fit into which system, which DS players are good enough to displace senior players (so far, only Rohan Ince, for me) and whether they can handle the pressure of playing week in, week out, etc.

Given that I'm not sure it is fair criticism.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Agree.

I certainly haven't got the knives out for him, I like his interviews and background and certain aspects of what he has done so far at the club like the progress of Ince. I also believe following Gus is a very difficult task for any manager and he certainly hasn't been helped by the cutbacks in our budget and riculous injury jinx.

But when he joined we were led to believe that he was naturally attacking coach and we would be seeing more entertainment and goals this season. That is why I'm surprised and disapointed about the team he started with last night. At home to one of the poorest sides in the division, lacking confidence, we should have been at them from the off with Buckley and Lua Lua on both wings yet we start with 2 full backs in midfield (I still believe Spanish Dave is a better right back) and Buckley on the bench and therefore a more naturally defensive approach and its obviously not the only game we have started that way. That is my main criticism of Oscar so far.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

You're talking absolute rubbish and/or wildly generalising.

I was pro-Gus, always was, regret his leaving while realising that it was inevitable and that there is no going back. I would like to see him get the Sunderland job and do well.

I am ALSO pro OG. I like him, am certainly not calling for anything drastic to happen soon, realise the extent of our ongoing and increasing injury problems, realise he has only been in the country and working in English Football for three months or whatever, am prepared to write off this season if need be (although I have a sneaking feeling things will get better.

For too many people on here there is too much "black and White", or "if you're not for us, you're against us". Try thinking about shades of Grey, of which there are a sight more than the 50 in that stupid book. It is eminently possible to have been Pro Gus and still be prepared to give his successor - in whom I have every faith - a very fair crack of the whip.

As an example of giving someone time, what about Paul Lambert at Aston Villa, or Brendan Rodgers at Liverpool.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Of course it's too soon to judge especially as we're missing key players so the knives are not out. But there are some questions which would be helpful if he publicly addressed, style of play, (why are we resorting to hoofing it?) tactics, condition & fitness of some players and the transfer policy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here