Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Knives out for Garcia already?

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
i feel its all well and good keeping the ball but we dont look like doing anything with it at times and we need to up the tempo and push the wingers wide and not for them to play like center midfielders

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Agree.

I certainly haven't got the knives out for him, I like his interviews and background and certain aspects of what he has done so far at the club like the progress of Ince. I also believe following Gus is a very difficult task for any manager and he certainly hasn't been helped by the cutbacks in our budget and riculous injury jinx.

But when he joined we were led to believe that he was naturally attacking coach and we would be seeing more entertainment and goals this season. That is why I'm surprised and disapointed about the team he started with last night. At home to one of the poorest sides in the division, lacking confidence, we should have been at them from the off with Buckley and Lua Lua on both wings yet we start with 2 full backs in midfield (I still believe Spanish Dave is a better right back) and Buckley on the bench and therefore a more naturally defensive approach and its obviously not the only game we have started that way. That is my main criticism of Oscar so far.

Agree. Playing Bruno in midfield is fcked up, when JFC or Ince are available! Agustien I'm afraid is just going to be another Ryan Harley, for whatever reason just doesn't work out (cough, thinks he's too good for the club, cough). So I would have selected Ince in the holding roll with Andrews in place of Bruno.
Far more solid. Then put Buckley out wide instead of Lopez, and tell him and Kaz to stay wide!!

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
A rational perspective has to be that Oscar needs to experiment with the team in order that he can decide on his strongest 11 at any one time. It is foolish to assume that he could do that after such a short time and with so many critical injuries.

There is no doubt in my mind that we are following the 'Arsenal model' in order that we will have to take a lot of pain in order to gain success organically rather than buying it. We have the same fundamental basis for doing so - strong fan base, good stadium, sound finances, high match day spend - as they do, and we do not have to gamble upon debt-led investment to reach the promised land.

Clubs that gamble have to do so because they do not have the ability to rely on that fanbase, and are aware that promotion to the PL is the only way to increase fan numbers and match day revenues because they are reliant on JCLs.

Brighton's fanbase was always there and has always been there over an extended period of time. The latter Goldstone years were an anomaly caused by atrocious board management and lack of planning, forethought or investment. The Withdean was almost always sold-out and it was almost impossible to buy a ticket if you weren't a STH.

It's the club, not the manager, that must set the philosophy - like Swansea - in order that it can provide stability and continuity irrespective of the coaching individuals themselves. Oscar fits that philosophy and the club know this. They will not be in the least concerned about recent performances because they know the work in the background and they also know that the injury list is the main reason we're not in the top right now.

Yes, he's made mistakes over the last two games, but thankfully he's made them now and will learn from them and will not let his ego - unlike Gus - make him unconscious of them.

I am ok with last night, frustrating as it was. Lopez was awful, Ulloa and he missed two golden chances. Barnes had to score really, from Lua Lua's cross and if that had happened none of these threads would exist and Oscar would not be questioned. He was not culpable for any of these events.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Cannot judge on less than a third of the season gone...he is unlucky being beset by all the injuries....how many other teams have an injury list like us...at least he is trying out the youngsters...would the departed one usedInce,JFC or Solly March by now...I know that GP gave JFC a few cameo experiences...Keep the faith...it will come good.

I like Garcia and want him to do well and it is good that the youngsters are getting game time. What I cant understand is why, when they play well, they are dropped to the bench or out of the match day squad. It can't do their confidence much good. Ince has had one mediocre performance and that would have been good compared to that of Bruno and David last night. If we need to play high tempo football we need young fit players to do it. Ince moves the ball much quicker than most of our midfielders. I would like to see him play the holding role and Andrews move further forward. With Ulloa injured Barker will at least have to be on the bench as our striking options have been limited in the last four or five games.

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Win Saturday and we are only 3 points behind big spending Forest, If we can keep near the pack until everyone is fit we may have a chance of the play offs. Long way to go

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I'm just amazed with how many people think they know better than an experienced football manager who sees the players every single day and knows how they have been training and hoe fit they are.

Playing Football Manager or FIFA 14 doesn't make you an expert.

Was exactly the same when Poyet was in charge.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm just amazed with how many people think they know better than an experienced football manager who sees the players every single day and knows how they have been training and hoe fit they are.

Playing Football Manager or FIFA 14 doesn't make you an expert.

Was exactly the same when Poyet was in charge.

Fans will always have an opinion. That's why messageboards exist.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Knives are certainly not out, I don't think. There has been some perfectly justifiable criticism though. The team selection last night was a really poor, negative one, for a home match against weak opposition. That's the truth, and its not hindsight - I wrote the same before kick off. Start that match with an attacking side, and an fully attacking mindset and we'd have won it.

The voice of reason speaks.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Don't think the knives are out - just understandably disappointment at two very poor performances at Ipswich and last night.

My concern would be that we don't have the players capable of playing the fast-tempo, less touches on the ball style Oscar seems to want to put in place. Last season we did look too slow in possession at times but maybe that was because that was the way our players were able to play a passing style.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. I think Oscar wants players who can pass instinctively and make long ball passes with accuracy. Injuries haven't helped and I can see the thinking behind some of the hoofed balls but the execution is for the most part shit and the players will also take time to adapt to fast tempo football more of the time.

If the players aren't good enough, and most that we have brought in this season are just on loan, then Oscar is going to have to rebuild the team so it may take more than this season and next to do it?

Bold plan but can we finance it, as the type of players required won't come cheap and they may not want to drop a division. Young Spaniards maybe???

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Knives are certainly not out, I don't think. There has been some perfectly justifiable criticism though. The team selection last night was a really poor, negative one, for a home match against weak opposition. That's the truth, and its not hindsight - I wrote the same before kick off. Start that match with an attacking side, and an fully attacking mindset and we'd have won it.

Yes, couldn't have put it better.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I don't have it in for Oscar at all. I do have mild worries at the moment though when i see us both as individuals and as a team not work with that vital combination of grit and flair that got us to where we are. There are gaps in our field positions that leaves players on their own, isolated, troubled, when as a slick passing unit that should never be the case. And i don't feel our flairites feel ready to express themselves, and that has to be altered. I hope they understand the tactics and stick to them, whilst being afforded the chance to really let go. I of course want some of our key players for this style back fit and in action, but we cannot rely on the possibility of their return as the cure to our ills. A steady and regular starting 11 not chopped and changed after every imperfect result is needed, and a dig around the loan market for a bit of experienced attacking midfield to get that link-up between a battlehardy backline and the sometimes lonely frontrunners. This oughtn't be a season of experimentalism that neither the crowd or the players seem to too much enjoy.

I seemed to get a bit worked up there. :)

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
More worrying for me is that "the suits" are taking over the entire club. We've been brainwashed with FFP, have hardly been active in the market and yet OG seemingly can't get a loan striker. Hope we haven't got the tail wagging the dog here but I've got my suspicions

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Of course it's not fair, when has opinion on NSC been fair!?

He's been in England a total of about 12 weeks. He's managed the squad in 11 competitive fixtures. He's trying out his squad, looking at how different players work in different roles. He's shown a flexibility to how we play, and even in a poor game like last night, we really had enough chances to win it.

We've got players that need to settle into the club, as well as the squad adapting to what Oscar is looking for from them.

Very promising results mixed with some poor performances as well.

I'm optimistic that Oscar will get this side understanding each other and playing well, and I think personally that we will be challenging the play off spots later in the season, perhaps in a late charge.

Couldn't have put it better myself

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The time to judge Oscar is when he is allowed to bring the players in that he has identified and not the two BB'S choices which seem somewhat hit and miss so far this season. He will need time to check out the team and decide who stays and who leaves which in the majority of cases will be after the season has finished. Next season will be his time but and it is a big BUT this is dependant on what budget he is given for players which will probably reduce to help the losses

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here