Kevin Pietersen

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Pietersen is an absolute legend. I'm not a huge fan of cricket but it seems silly to leave such a talented player out of the national squad, whatever personal grievances those selecting the team may have.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Trouble is with Strauss, he was no where near as good as either batsman or captain as he thinks he was.

Trouble is with someone so fresh out of playing, their opinion on players is clouded by how they still view themselves. We are in real trouble if he starts trying to shape this team into his own batting and captaincy style.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Trouble is with Strauss, he was no where near as good as either batsman or captain as he thinks he was.

Trouble is with someone so fresh out of playing, their opinion on players is clouded by how they still view themselves. We are in real trouble if he starts trying to shape this team into his own batting and captaincy style.

Deep trouble I would suggest.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
What trust issue is Strauss banging on about now? Textgate has been dealt with (and he did not refer to Strauss in Afrikaans as a see you next tuesday, the word he used translates to more like pillock or prat), he apologised and was re-integrated. So what is the issue now?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
What trust issue is Strauss banging on about now? Textgate has been dealt with (and he did not refer to Strauss in Afrikaans as a see you next tuesday, the word he used translates to more like pillock or prat), he apologised and was re-integrated. So what is the issue now?

I have now been informed that the word used literally means "box", so would be the equivalent of fanny. There is another Afrikaans word that is much more vulgar when referring to the same thing.

Carry on.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I have now been informed that the word used literally means "box", so would be the equivalent of fanny. There is another Afrikaans word that is much more vulgar when referring to the same thing.

Carry on.
In the colloquial sense, it means an idiot at one end of the spectrum, it means lady-bits at the other end of the extreme........I used to use it myself when I lived there.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
In the colloquial sense, it means an idiot at one end of the spectrum, it means lady-bits at the other end of the extreme........I used to use it myself when I lived there.

Quite. Everytime I have heard it used, people tend to laugh it off. Not something you would necessarily do if called the extremely vulgar english version. Strauss' outburst on radio was far worse.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing

It will lead to some interesting betting propositions though. I see that NZ are 11/2 for a 2-0 series win.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Pietersen is an absolute legend. I'm not a huge fan of cricket but it seems silly to leave such a talented player out of the national squad, whatever personal grievances those selecting the team may have.

Completely agree. What South Africa could have achieved down the years with KP in the side doesn't bear thinking about.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Strauss is really putting his head on the block here, what now if,

New Zealand beat us and the Aussies smash us, whilst KP is scoring runs for fun with Surrey?

Should he have made it so public?

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing

New Zealand beat us and the Aussies smash us, whilst KP is scoring runs for fun with Surrey?

Should he have made it so public?

He certainly should have made it public - otherwise there would have been 'where's Kev' demands all the time this debacle was happening. To say nothing of all the anti-Strauss radio, TV and newspaper articles and (probably) a 200K name petition for him to be brought back. By making this statement so public he has cast himself as the main bad guy and taken the pressure off the other selectors. However, it should allow us all to have a bet on NZ and Aus winning the series knowing that KP won't be around to interfere.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Think this is KP's last game for Surrey for a while - he's off to the IPL for a bit. Whether he'll come back is another matter

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

I'm amazed at the willingness to forgive and forget with this.

The texts, the book, his part in the original sacking of Moore, the apparent attitude as highlighted by Boycott in the Australian test or was he just being 'bullied', poor love.......

He earns a lot less as a non-international in the IPL (which could be one of the reasons he is keen to re-establish his international career) and even Flintoff at Luke Wright's dinner, indicated that he can only be trusted for a short period of time before he upsets people, I won't print what Prior called him.........

No player is bigger than the team and I am pleased with the stance of Strauss.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007

The texts, the book, his part in the original sacking of Moore, the apparent attitude as highlighted by Boycott in the Australian test or was he just being 'bullied', poor love.......

He earns a lot less as a non-international in the IPL (which could be one of the reasons he is keen to re-establish his international career) and even Flintoff at Luke Wright's dinner, indicated that he can only be trusted for a short period of time before he upsets people, I won't print what Prior called him.........

I would agree, however, I have just seen an interview with Strauss on Sky in which he said "Myself and Kevin have huge trust issues, I wish we didn't but it is a fact". Nothing about the ECB and Kevin, or the team and Kevin. Strauss and Kevin. That to me makes this a personal decision and not necessarily an England cricket decision.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

We you there too? I did like the moment when Prior was descending into detail way beyond what was needed at an after dinner event, when Freddie looked up and said "do you think you should let it go now Matt?". Good night though, delighted to meet a broadcasting hero in Henry Blofeld.

I will add that no matter what KP did in the past, to tell him to get back into County cricket and he stands a chance of being picked, only to tell him he has no chance of being picked is nothing short of amateurish and disgraceful really. The whole setup, the ECB, the players, it doesn't seem a very trustworthy place at the moment. Strauss is the wrong man for the job IMHO. The ECB and England need a shot in the arm, not more of the same.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I can't believe people can't get past the nationality issue. His mother is English, simple as that.

If we took out every English cricketer than has played for England not born in this country, we'd probably find we never actually ever had 11 blokes on the field all born in the UK at anyone time.

Tony Greig's father was Scottish and he captained the side!

Strauss, Prior, Geraint Jones, Lumb, Kieswetter, Morgan, Lamb, Chris and Robin Smith, Hick, Derek Pringle, Dermot Reeve, Chris Lewis, Phil Defreitas, Gladstone Small....to name a few!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports