Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Keiren Westwood

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Watford just signed Gomes from Spurs, anyone who has proven ability in the top division like that would be great.

Whilst I have no knowledge of the financial situation of the club, much like the rest of NSC, I would think we could indeed have paid the wages for Gomes after losing TK so not a bad shout.

Thing is, with the amount of signings that many think need to be made I would imagine that a marquee goalkeeper is probably not going to be the way it goes, especially if there's a chance of a decent keeper (Westwood) and, for example, a centre-back for the same money.

Last edited:

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Iker Casillas must be worth a cheeky offer (there's only so many Champions League medals one can win before getting bored), Thibaut Courtois must be fed up with going on loan and desperate for a permanent contract, while Manuel Neuer was crushed by Bayern's Champions League battering, so I imagine he'd be open to offers.

You're being silly, Courtois will be the Chelsea number one...

Cech?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You're being silly, Courtois will be the Chelsea number one...

Cech?

David de Gea must be macked off at not getting Champions League football next season. He'll be after the sort of refreshing change that Championship football could bring.

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
I see Stoke still have 3 keepers Begovic, Butland and Sorensen has just signed for another year so maybe a cheeky bid for Butland on a season long loan ? Thought he was good for Barnsley against us last season.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I see Stoke still have 3 keepers Begovic, Butland and Sorensen has just signed for another year so maybe a cheeky bid for Butland on a season long loan ? Thought he was good for Barnsley against us last season.

Now that isn't a bad shout!

I would really love to have Butland down here, although I would rather that we were getting a keeper in on a perm contract.

I find the whole Butland situation mildly ironic. He went to Stoke over the big clubs as he didn't want to sit on the bench and wanted Prem football. I guess he (along with a lot of others) thought Begovic was off - he then stayed and Butland was then loaned to Barnsley. Ouch

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Realistically he'll have to take a 66% wage cut to continue his career outside the Premier League.

But realistically, would another PL club sign him AND give him regular action. Unlikely, so we would be an attractive club to join.

Id be pretty happy with this, has PL experience and was a regular with the Mackems until Poyet came in.

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
I hate to mention it.....but it has been over a week now

Then again, its not like we ever get anything done quickly now is it!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
We seem to be moving (relatively) quickly for a new PiG :lolol:

Westwood or Rudd or any other player coming down from the PL - the salary gap is increasingly unbridgeable unless players and agents lower their expectations or Championship clubs risk bankruptcy on the chance of winning the promotion lottery.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Westwood or Rudd or any other player coming down from the PL - the salary gap is increasingly unbridgeable unless players and agents lower their expectations
Either they can get a job somewhere that will match their wages, or they can't. If they can't they've got no choice but to lower their expectations. Offer them what they're worth, take it or leave it.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Either they can get a job somewhere that will match their wages, or they can't. If they can't they've got no choice but to lower their expectations. Offer them what they're worth, take it or leave it.

They would leave it (wouldnt you?) at least until the end of the transfer window...... free agents with a nest egg from PL earnings can afford to wait even longer for clubs to get desperate.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They would leave it (wouldnt you?)
Er, no, because they can't get a job elsewhere that will match their wages. I'd expect them to take the best offer they get.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
.. . But they can afford to wait for the best offer.
Yes of course they can. But I'd say that's true of all players in the top couple of divisions - they're all on good wages (somewhere between excellent and insane). If we make a keeper an offer that's likely to be better (for them) than anyone else will offer, they should take it. If we don't, I expect them to turn us down. And that's true regardless of whether they used to be on big money or not.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
.. . But they can afford to wait for the best offer.

We can't.

I think it's slightly different for keepers, as there just aren't so many jobs around. being a position you don't get thrown on for the last 20 mins, means that a chance to be first choice is all important. I don't think of keepers as being the "Deadline Day Transfers" we hear about on 31st August.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Yes of course they can. But I'd say that's true of all players in the top couple of divisions - they're all on good wages (somewhere between excellent and insane). If we make a keeper an offer that's likely to be better (for them) than anyone else will offer, they should take it. If we don't, I expect them to turn us down. And that's true regardless of whether they used to be on big money or not.

Accept our offer now because it MIGHT be the best they get? Oh that it worked like that. Realty is that they will wait until the last possible minute for the best possible deal.....longer than we can afford to wait in our situation without (in my view) a first choice keeper on the books.......
......unless of course we go with Walton this season & Anks as back-up? I don't think he is ready from the few DS vids where his positioning and decision making were a bit edgy but stranger things have happened

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Accept our offer now because it MIGHT be the best they get? Oh that it worked like that. Realty is that they will wait until the last possible minute for the best possible deal.....
No, the reality is players don't wait. What you're saying makes no sense - obviously any player that signs before the final day of the transfer window has not waited until the last possible minute. You're saying that regardless of what we offer, no player will accept it until deadline day, because they MIGHT get a better offer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here