Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kaz. Still injured....or...

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
If a player doesn't make the 18 and for every game now until the end of the season this sort of thread will inevitably happen because our squad is of such depth then there will be a flurry of rumours on here alleging
some ludicrous conspiracy or other, some nonsense about them being "up for sale' or somesuch, some fall out with Hughton or some other rubbish because they're not being picked.
So far in recent weeks we've had Richie Towell has gone on loan to Bristol Rovers (nope), Wilson is going back to Man U (nope), Lua Lua (god knows - nudge nudge wink wink etc - i suspect nope).

It will never be because Hughton has just picked his best 18, everyone is working hard in training and they will be under consideration for the next match but he can't pick everyone out of a squad of 22/23 so
someone will miss out. And i'll be accused of "believing" the club for suggesting likewise. :)

Licker.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
If I gave even the slightest clue it would give the game away, and it's a pretty bad allegation. Maybe there is no substance to it - just what I heard on the grapevine. I am 100% others on here will have heard the same so if someone else wants to put themselves up and say what it is then that is up to them. I'm surprised it hasn't made its way online already tbh.
Let's make this simple. What allegedly has Joe bloggs done to Keith Mcteeth?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Chris Hughton made a point of saying that Kaz had returned to training and was fighting to get his place back in the squad during his post match interview. In public at least CH still continues to give Kaz the time of day.

Sadly for Kaz Murphy and Knockaert have the two wide berths sewn up and Skalek has come in and sought to make an impact as quickly as possible. Regardless of the reason for his omission he may still have to wait a while longer to get back.

In order to challenge for promotion you need strength in depth and that always means disappointed players. You just have to wait your chance and be ready to contribute when asked. I really hope his absence is injury and strop based.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Not often have we [fans] been in a position of choice whereby there are 15+ players we would be happy to see in the starting lineup.

Bods well for strength in depth options but risks the inevitable toy-chuckers who must be left out and might wish to leave in search of first XI starts but the lure of potentially being part of a Premier League club next season keeps them engaged.

Tough ....

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
CH said last night hes available.... so basically not selected.

Im sure that will please Kaz no end, seems a bit silly really he has been nothing short of brilliant this season.
And if you ask me that Wilson still doesn't look right,

el punal

Oh, I didn't see that.

Hard to see why Skalak would be preferred to Kaz so soon after arriving unless there was some message being delivered to Kaz...ie it's unlikely to just be a "footballing decision".
Maybe it was to give Skalak some experience in a game that was already done and dusted. I'm sure Kaz will feature somewhere in the remainder of the season. Look at it positively, we have now got such a strong squad that players who were certs for selection a couple of months ago are now having to battle for inclusion. Long may it continue.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Kazenga Lualua needs to be playing first games for a whole 93 minutes. I would play him instead of Wilson every time. Not that Wilson is bad, just that Lualua is better. Baldock would be fourth choice behind Skalák.

I don't think my season ticket has not the quite the same value for money without Lualua in the squad. (I bought it before Buckley left.)

Hopefully (strong possibility) is that Lualua is not 100% fit and that his value to the team effort really depends on perfect fitness more than the slower players. He comes into his own against the better sides (i.e. not including Leeds) where is extra aceeleration, change of direction and two footed passing and shooting is of more value. If this is so vs Sheffield Wednesday is when we need him and vs Burnley coming up at home. All the remaining home matches, come to think about it, even vs Fulham.

I'm of the view that we should play the strongest team in important matches, regardless of current form. That means Lualua almost very time.

Last edited:

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Lua Lua is, at best, a back up winger. I'd genuinely have Murphy, Knockaert and Solly all in ahead of him.

They all have more to their game in my book. Yes, Lua Lua has an abundance of flair, but that isn't enough to guarantee his position as a first choice, particularly when all 3 alternatives also have that ability to unlock a defence too. And I don't actually see a player who has been consistently good enough over a big number of games, particularly as a starter, to justify this status of "guaranteed starter" that he seems to have been given by many fans.

Still, it's fun watching him running at tired defences and he has his place in our squad (if he can stay fit for longer than a fart).

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I have zero understanding of why Lua Lua isn't being picked if it's just a football thing.

If we'd have been losing 1-0 with 20 mins to go last night, how many of us sitting in the stands would have been saying bring him on????

Given the way Skalak played last night is anyone seriously saying he's a better option at the moment?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Played today in a friendly I believe so not injured. As did Bong.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I wouldn't have wanted Kaz on the bench last night, we had better options. I'm all for kick and rush but Murphy, Knockaert, Skalak and Wilson would all be better options on that side of the pitch and we all know that LuaLua can't do anything else in the team. He adds chaos, which works in a lot of situations but in the other winger options we have technical class and more ability than Kaz can even imagine. He's an option, but not when everyone is fit.

Have we had a more disappointing young player than Kaz? When he signed he looked like an incredible talent who could really push on and become a Premier League player but here we are now, 7 years on, and he hasn't improved at all. He is still kick and run, still capable of putting in a remarkable cross (have we seen a better cross for a goal than Kaz to Barnes (?) against Southampton at Withdean?) and pops up with goals but he hasn't developed at all apart from putting in more effort defensively.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
If I gave even the slightest clue it would give the game away, and it's a pretty bad allegation. Maybe there is no substance to it - just what I heard on the grapevine. I am 100% others on here will have heard the same so if someone else wants to put themselves up and say what it is then that is up to them. I'm surprised it hasn't made its way online already tbh.

Omg; not gender re-assignment........!?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Some sinister rumours doing the rounds about Kaz that I'm not going to put on here as it could be considered libel.
I like the word sinister - always associate it with left handed swordsmen.

This is very interesting, although with no info the imagination can run wild.

Bad and sinister enough to be booted out on loan to Luton ? ???

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I wouldn't have wanted Kaz on the bench last night, we had better options. I'm all for kick and rush but Murphy, Knockaert, Skalak and Wilson would all be better options on that side of the pitch and we all know that LuaLua can't do anything else in the team. He adds chaos, which works in a lot of situations but in the other winger options we have technical class and more ability than Kaz can even imagine. He's an option, but not when everyone is fit.

Have we had a more disappointing young player than Kaz? When he signed he looked like an incredible talent who could really push on and become a Premier League player but here we are now, 7 years on, and he hasn't improved at all. He is still kick and run, still capable of putting in a remarkable cross (have we seen a better cross for a goal than Kaz to Barnes (?) against Southampton at Withdean?) and pops up with goals but he hasn't developed at all apart from putting in more effort defensively.

Kaz was player of the month in the Championship before he was injured. Ahead of every other winger in the championship. His three goals and one penalty win gave us wins in 4 of those games and we could be eight points worse off without his contribution. Considering the confidence that those wins gave us, we could be a lot worse off. He was looking like having the season of his life before the injury and, when on form, he is capable of doing things that few other wingers in the division can do.

His performance against Derby in the play off game, when he looked like the only one of our players who refused to lay down and be beaten, his wonder game alongside Vicente also against Derby, his utter outclassing of Zaha on St Patrick's Day and the gap that was left when he didn't get picked for the home play off game that year all show that he is capable of, and could end up, being a vital difference between a good season and promotion.

Kick and Rush is completely unfair.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

Disagree. KLL was on fire when he got injured, and he offers much more than 'kick and rush'.

He actually goes past defenders, and can do so on either side, plus he can finish with either foot too.

I'd definitely have him on the bench for the run in.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Here is another theory

Some players are looked on with a lot of affection based on past glories and past performances by the fans.

CH doesn't really care about the past glories and past performances. He gets paid to pick the players who are performing well on match days and are putting in 100% in training and based on that he selects a squad of players that he thinks are best suited to pick up the 3 points on match day.

That ultimately then means. You don't work hard in training and you don't give your all and play well in matches then you are not in the 18 man squad.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Given the way Skalak played last night is anyone seriously saying he's a better option at the moment?

The manager and coaching stuff who see all the players week obviously do...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Kaz was player of the month in the Championship before he was injured. Ahead of every other winger in the championship. His three goals and one penalty win gave us wins in 4 of those games and we could be eight points worse off without his contribution. Considering the confidence that those wins gave us, we could be a lot worse off. He was looking like having the season of his life before the injury and, when on form, he is capable of doing things that few other wingers in the division can do.

His performance against Derby in the play off game, when he looked like the only one of our players who refused to lay down and be beaten, his wonder game alongside Vicente also against Derby, his utter outclassing of Zaha on St Patrick's Day and the gap that was left when he didn't get picked for the home play off game that year all show that he is capable of, and could end up, being a vital difference between a good season and promotion.

Kick and Rush is completely unfair.

Kick and rush is completely fair. There is a time and a place for it - there's a time and a place for everything in football, and he does offer us a different option. I've always been clear in my opinion on him, he's not progressed at all since we first signed him. He does what he does, he adds the value he adds, and if Hughton picks him then he knows what he'll get.

Personally, I'm as happy not seeing him in the squad because of who was there, as I would have been if he had been kicked.

Disagree. KLL was on fire when he got injured, and he offers much more than 'kick and rush'.

He actually goes past defenders, and can do so on either side, plus he can finish with either foot too.

I'd definitely have him on the bench for the run in.

He has his place in the run in, the squad will rotate - we all know that, and there will be injuries along the way. I'm delighted with the strength of the squad and the depth of options we have. I didn't say kick and rush is a negative thing, there will be times we are chasing games and need something more direct, which we all know Kaz offers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here